Reload this Page >

US retailers for UK keyboards?

US retailers for UK keyboards?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:03 am
Just Joined

El Gordo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US retailers for UK keyboards?

Hi folks.

I've been unable to get a UK spec computer keyboard in the USA, and all the UK retailers I've tried online won't ship to the USA. Getting family back home to post, with the dimensions and weight provided by the manufacturers results in shipping prices of around $100 a time. I write a lot of academic papers and it really squishes my flow when I'm deleting the @ symbols surrounding my quotes that result from leaving the default layout as it is, and if I change to UK layout for my US keyboard I lose backslash, the hash key, and so on. Plus I kinda miss the massive enter key too.

Does anyone know of where I can get a genuine British keyboard over here?
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

MrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really niceMrSensical is just really nice
Default Re: US retailers for UK keyboards?

Why not try amazon.co.uk w/international shipping.

If that's too much $$ then you may be SOL. I can't imagine anyone in US doing one for less than $50 and a used one at that.

Last edited by MrSensical; Feb 1st 2012 at 11:29 am.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 11:51 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Did you just search Amazon US for "UK Keyboard"?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wired-US...8100722&sr=1-5
Old Feb 1st 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I have had stuff shipped from Amazon UK and it's usually pretty reasonable - as long as you buy from Amazon itself and not one of the storefronts.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware it isn't always so straight forward as just plugging in a new keyboard. My laptop is an old UK one but I have a US keyboard plugged in to the USB port for comfort reasons. I have told it to use US keyboard many times, except it always forgets, so I end up typing on my US keyboard as if it is UK. The "\" key is the only real problem.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Did you just search Amazon US for "UK Keyboard"?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Wired-US...8100722&sr=1-5
Yup, searched through carefully. The one or two which claim to be UK keyboards are only saying that because the " and @ are the other way around. Unfortunately they're actually international keyboards for German speakers, usually, and there's a whole bunch of other keys switched around too. That particular one has keys for special characters, and others make way like the semi-colon and the less/more than signs.

BUT, thank you for looking/trying!

Amazon UK, every time I enter my US address option for delivery, I get an error screen

I've found a company who does, in theory, fit the need, and the keyboards have interchangeable fascias, but it seems that they're not stocking the UK spec in the US. I need to investigate more.

The actual keyboard cost isn't too much of an issue. I spent £100 on my old one that just gave up the ghost around 11 years ago and it served me so very well. I don't mind spending $100 on the hardware. Just preferably not the postage.
Old Feb 1st 2012, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Gordo
Does anyone know of where I can get a genuine British keyboard over here?
Would it be easier to get, say, a programmable keyboard?

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Would it be easier to get, say, a programmable keyboard?

Ian
If the cost isn't the problem, this OLED one would fit the bill - http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Maximu...8119266&sr=1-1

Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
If the cost isn't the problem, this OLED one would fit the bill - http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Maximu...8119266&sr=1-1

This one might tweak my budget restraints eeeeever so slightly
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

You don't actually lose any keys (actually maybe just one) they just get shifted around. I've become used to switching between my US keyboard at work and my UK laptop keyboard at home (It's lasted five years! Outlasted the PC I bought when I moved here, and still works fine aside from the battery life)
Old Feb 1st 2012, 8:52 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Are you trying to buy from a distributor that won't ship internationally on amazon.co.uk? I buy stuff all the time from the British site with no problems.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Why bother? Every other computer around you will have the En-US layout, and switching back and forth is much more of a hassle than just getting used to the American layout. I know I gave up using my German keyboard about 4 weeks into my stay in the US.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:33 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I do not remember the layout of a Brit keyboard now, but would an option be to tell the computer that you are using a UK keyboard and switch the keys around (pluck them out and snap them back in, in a new order)

I assume I am forgetting something that makes this impossible.

edit: Ah, re-read the OP, and there are other issues.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 2nd 2012 at 12:35 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I do not remember the layout of a Brit keyboard now, but would an option be to tell the computer that you are using a UK keyboard and switch the keys around (pluck them out and snap them back in, in a new order)

The part where modern keyboards will get ruined when you try to do this.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung

Yeah, that was my first thought. There's subtle differences in shape between rows on most keyboards, so that you can jumble up letters but if you try and switch in a number, or something from an F key, etc, the profile is different and they won't sit in. Good thinking though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.