British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US resume with UK education (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-resume-uk-education-674015/)

quiddities Jun 25th 2010 5:29 pm

US resume with UK education

I'm trying to promote myself to US employers as having some quantitative experience.

I have a first class degree in a humanities subject from a major UK university, and now an MA from a US institution in another humanities field.

I haven't done any maths since the quantitative section of the GRE (where my mark was all right, but not in a great percentile since you're competing with the Maths and Physics PhD-applicants who get full marks of 800 on the Maths section).

Since I have a British undergrad qualification, I did no maths or science during my BA.

That means my most recent quantitative experience is Chemistry A-level. But the advice I've read here about writing Canadian resumes on the Wiki suggests leaving off A-levels since North Americans don't understand them, and that if you specify three subjects they'll think that's all you did at high school.

But if I leave off my Chemistry qualification, I have nothing quantitative to show except for a not stellar GRE quantitative mark. So how can I format my A-levels appropriately on my resume to show off my skills to best effect?

Has anyone here done this successfully, without sounding redundant or patronising in explaining the uniqueness of British qualifications?

chartreuse Jun 25th 2010 5:43 pm

Re: US resume with UK education

There have been many threads on this, but one thing you might try is writing up your A-levels as an Associates Degree in Math/Science, or such like.

md95065 Jun 26th 2010 12:25 am

What exactly do you mean by "quantitative experience" and what kind of job are you looking for - and what actual subjects are your degrees in - "humanities" is hopelessly vague - all it tells me is what your degree isn't (ie maths, science, engineering) - it doesn't give me any idea what it *is* ...

If you want to impress an employer with your experience (as opposed to your academic qualifications) then you tell them what your experience is - hopefully in a field or area that is in some way relevant to them. If you don't actually have that experience then you are just plain out of luck.

So, first question is "Do you actually have the kind of experience that you want to convince potential employers that you have" - if you do then describe it - if not then clearly you will be making it up so a creative writing class might be your best bet.

Bluegrass Lass Jun 26th 2010 2:30 am

Have to agree with the poster above. OP, it sounds like (to my American ears) that you are trying to describe certain classes you took either while in high school or uni. And, to be frank, I've not come across any employers that gave one whit what classes you took while in school. The only time I can think of that it could be important was if you were searching for an entry level job directly after graduating school and knowledge of that topic was pertinent to the job. An employer wants to know if you have direct working experience in that area, not that you took that class while in school.