British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US realtors, finding an agent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-realtors-finding-agent-388519/)

Lizzi Aug 3rd 2006 5:16 pm

US realtors, finding an agent

Ok, so we've had our house on for sale by owner for a while but the market is currently taking abit of a nose dive. We've reluctantly decided that we're going to change to a realtor. How do we pick one and (bearing in mind they'll be netting at least $15k for the sale) can we beat them down from 3% commission? We had an agent on our doorstep yesterday offering 1% but you know, we need to sell it and we're worried it might not work out with her. So, what've we got to look for in an agent. You know, apart from the Merc and the diamonds?
Thanks.

Jerseygirl Aug 3rd 2006 5:47 pm

Re: US realtors, finding an agent

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Ok, so we've had our house on for sale by owner for a while but the market is currently taking abit of a nose dive. We've reluctantly decided that we're going to change to a realtor. How do we pick one and (bearing in mind they'll be netting at least $15k for the sale) can we beat them down from 3% commission? We had an agent on our doorstep yesterday offering 1% but you know, we need to sell it and we're worried it might not work out with her. So, what've we got to look for in an agent. You know, apart from the Merc and the diamonds?
Thanks.

I keep seeing articles on TV that say overall you are better off using a realtor. They will probably sell your home for more than you could...even after their fees are paid...don't know whether I agree.

Heading home Aug 3rd 2006 6:13 pm

We sold our home last year. To get the best price, I think you should choose a Realtor that:

- has had many years experience of selling homes in your area
- is willing to spend money advertising your home
- works full time as a Realtor.

I would be wary of the Realtors that offer to sell your home for less than the going rate. According to our Realtor, these guys just want easy money so they sell your house for far lower than its true worth because than they don't have to put any effort in. This was certainly our experience - one discount Realtor we spoke to said the absolute maximum we could get for our house was $70K less than we actually sold it for!

Our Realtor was great. He really put loads of effort into selling our house.

Celsius Aug 3rd 2006 6:22 pm

Thanks.

Ask friends, neighbors and coworkers for recommendations for realtors would be one route.

Also, what's more important? Selling the house or having a lower commission? You have to know your priorities. Paying 3% commission could be worthwhile if the realtor sells the house sooner over searching for a realtor who is both good and will have lower commission.

TruBrit Aug 3rd 2006 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Heading home
We sold our home last year. To get the best price, I think you should choose a Realtor that:

- has had many years experience of selling homes in your area
- is willing to spend money advertising your home
- works full time as a Realtor.

i totally agree and would add................

- preferably use a male realtor.

Jerseygirl Aug 3rd 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
Ask friends, neighbors and coworkers for recommendations for realtors would be one route.

Also, what's more important? Selling the house or having a lower commission? You have to know your priorities. Paying 3% commission could be worthwhile if the realtor sells the house sooner over searching for a realtor who is both good and will have lower commission.

3%.......its 6% in these parts. :eek:

AdobePinon Aug 3rd 2006 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
3%.......its 6% in these parts. :eek:

3% to the selling agent, 3% to the buying agent. Which means that the first thing you should do is jack the sale price up by 6%.

Lizzi Aug 3rd 2006 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i totally agree and would add................

- preferably use a male realtor.

Why?

TruBrit Aug 4th 2006 12:18 am

Why?

couple of reasons...a) they are often the main breadwinner....not always but often and b) secondly they aren't running around after the rug rats, usually mom does that. the first realtor we hired was a female who drove me around for my two weeks leave i had over here .....not long i know so every minute counted however we really didn't get to much accomplished as we'd be running by her daughter's school every few hrs over 4 days coz she had to give her kid tablets .....after that she got a call on her cell coz the older one lost her car keys so off to her home to collect the spare set of keys and deliver them to the daughter at school and change of plans for us and so it went on...when i hire a realtor i want a full time professional (if there is such a person out there) to show me houses and to represent me, i'm not interested in their families. lots of the females with/without families tend to do the job p/t. i'm not saying that the above doesn't also apply to male realtors just that imo i'd always choose a male which is what we have done the last two times and no probs on that score.

BritGuyTN Aug 4th 2006 12:24 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
3% to the selling agent, 3% to the buying agent. Which means that the first thing you should do is jack the sale price up by 6%.

If the market in the OP area is taking a nosedive then possible not the best idea

I would contract with a Realtor, not just a licensee. It should and often could make a big difference in quality of service. paying those membership dues is a pain in the arse if you are fly by night and don't take things seriously

I would suggest getting an agent with a good rep to take the listing at 5%

2% to them and 3% to the co-operating broker

I would also say that in the case of dual agency (maybe illegal in your state) they only get 4% total

NC Penguin Aug 4th 2006 2:14 am

Originally Posted by TruBrit
couple of reasons...a) they are often the main breadwinner....not always but often and b) secondly they aren't running around after the rug rats, usually mom does that. the first realtor we hired was a female who drove me around for my two weeks leave i had over here .....not long i know so every minute counted however we really didn't get to much accomplished as we'd be running by her daughter's school every few hrs over 4 days coz she had to give her kid tablets .....after that she got a call on her cell coz the older one lost her car keys so off to her home to collect the spare set of keys and deliver them to the daughter at school and change of plans for us and so it went on...when i hire a realtor i want a full time professional (if there is such a person out there) to show me houses and to represent me, i'm not interested in their families. lots of the females with/without families tend to do the job p/t. i'm not saying that the above doesn't also apply to male realtors just that imo i'd always choose a male which is what we have done the last two times and no probs on that score.

I'm sure a lot of women realtors have adult or teenage children and don't have the issues described above.

I would look at the realtor's professional success over gender.

When I scan the property pages in my local paper, women outnumber men as realtors anyway.

NC Penguin

TruBrit Aug 4th 2006 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm sure a lot of women realtors have adult or teenage children and don't have the issues described above.

I would look at the realtor's professional success over gender.

When I scan the property pages in my local paper, women outnumber men as realtors anyway.

NC Penguin

yep agree to a point and i only suggested taking it into account, naturally one would look at their professionalism first....wonder how many females on your property page are full time...i think you will find the men are more full time realtors according to a newspaper article a few mths ago.