Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Presidential candidates

US Presidential candidates

Old Dec 18th 2007, 6:23 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Presidential candidates

Originally Posted by Tableland
I'm not sure that the extra-legal status of FP doctrines has a lot to do with it because laws are for states, and the international system in a different kettle of fish.
Mnnnyeah...but the issue was over whether the presidential administration lied/deceived congress, which is not an issue of international law.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Mnnnyeah...but the issue was over whether the presidential administration lied/deceived congress, which is not an issue of international law.
Hi Lapin

The original issue was about Reagan being responsible for Iraq 2003 because of his policies and the consequences. Whether or not he deceived Congress is not entirely relevant to this point. Also, he wouldn't have been the first to deceive Congress, nor will he be the last, especially in FP.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 1:48 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
The original issue was about Reagan being responsible for Iraq 2003 because of his policies and the consequences.
I think you're linking two parallel conversations into one and making a leap that isn't there. When we talk about Reagan and illegality, then it's obviously a discussion about Iran-Contra, misleading Congress and spurious invasions, which raises all sorts of domestic and international legal questions. When people talk about Reagan having been responsible for the second Iraq war (which I think is incorrect - he just created the preconditions for it), that's obviously more of a conceptual/historical discussion.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
I think you're linking two parallel conversations into one and making a leap that isn't there. When we talk about Reagan and illegality, then it's obviously a discussion about Iran-Contra, misleading Congress and spurious invasions, which raises all sorts of domestic and international legal questions. When people talk about Reagan having been responsible for the second Iraq war (which I think is incorrect - he just created the preconditions for it), that's obviously more of a conceptual/historical discussion.
I would agree. I was never interested in the legal aspect. Someone wrote that we could blame Reagan for Iraq II, and I disputed this. I also dispute that he created the preconditions for it, as no one president did. At a push you could argue that Carter was responsible, but not Reagan.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanymc
Not sure if this has been covered but what is this obsession with the candidates' religion. As an atheist I find this very irritating.
Well, I suppose for those who ARE religious, they care what the candidate's religion is. Sigh.

I suppose I care what their religion is myself - just to make sure it isn't something totally wacky, that might influence them to make wacky decisions.

Since abortion rights are a big issue, and stem cell research, etc... their religion (at least the extent of it) might influence their position on these issues.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:43 pm
joycey

joyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud ofjoyceygreen has much to be proud of

I used to work on the British Airways "Shuttle" Routes (Belfast, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Manchester from LHR) and met quite alot of politicians - two of the nicest in terms of warmth of personality were Neil Kinnock (and his wife Glynnis) and Ian Paisley, who was extremely tall, but such a sweet man - not like the personality portrayed in the press and on TV.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute

I always liked Neil Kinnock. I think he doesn`t/didn`t get the recognition that he deserves for turning Labour into an electable party again. IE ,Battling the unions and the loony left.
As for Ian Paisley. In a way in public he had/has to be seen as being tough to stand up to the IRA and others wanting a united Ireland. Just fighting his corner i suppose.
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 11:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazza64
I always liked Neil Kinnock. I think he doesn`t/didn`t get the recognition that he deserves for turning Labour into an electable party again.
so how come he wasn't elected then?

John Smith was better than all of them, shame he croaked.
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe Kinnock was seen as trying too hard. Anyone remember the cringe worthy "pop" concert kind of political rally he did? But, i do think that he definitely set the ball rolling again for Labour after many years in the wilderness. Or, maybe people were just tired of the "greed is good" 80`s under Thatcher.
Old Dec 24th 2007, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc
so how come he wasn't elected then?

John Smith was better than all of them, shame he croaked.
Apparently one of the primary reasons, discovered when the proles were polled, was that he was Welsh. Luckily the electorate was less ignorant in 1915.