British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Presidential candidates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-presidential-candidates-497911/)

Manc Dec 13th 2007 12:57 am

Re: US Presidential candidates

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5661037)
Ruby`s the best of the republicans

I think Ron Paul is.

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5662581)
not really.
Hasn't Obama openly decreed he'd go into Pakistan unilaterally..

really?

wow

Manc Dec 13th 2007 2:02 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5662712)
really?

wow

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20070536

BritGuyTN Dec 13th 2007 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5662734)

hmmm

saying it for effect? or is he a mentalist?

Manc Dec 13th 2007 4:06 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5662798)
hmmm

saying it for effect? or is he a mentalist?

he's just a know-nothing as I said

"Look guys I can be tough on terror too"

seanymc Dec 14th 2007 5:58 pm

Not sure if this has been covered but what is this obsession with the candidates' religion. As an atheist I find this very irritating.

Seahorse3 Dec 14th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5658900)
you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance :)

And Clinton had no part in this? :zzz:

Seahorse3 Dec 14th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5659137)
Even that has to be better than what we presently have, the illegal, paranoid criminal ideas of the present administration.

Blah blah blah!!! The lefts number one hit single. Play it again Sam! :p

gazza64 Dec 14th 2007 8:20 pm

I`m an atheist also.

Is a politican`s religion always going to influence their policies?

Should a persons religious belief`s be a factor in whether we should vote for them or not?

Tableland Dec 16th 2007 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5658900)
you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance :)

I'm not sure you can really blame Reagan for this, after all, he didn't do these policies for a laugh. The mujahadeen was an expedient to counter a greater threat, and he was hardly the first to sell weapons to the Iranians. On top of that the problems with Iran predate Reagan by some margin. In addition to this, the issues in Nicaragua and Panama directly challenged the Monroe doctrine, which effectively left RR no choice.

elfman Dec 16th 2007 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Tableland (Post 5674195)
the problems with Iran predate Reagan by some margin.

Indeed - all the way back to the Eisenhower administration

Originally Posted by Tableland (Post 5674195)
In addition to this, the issues in Nicaragua and Panama directly challenged the Monroe doctrine, which effectively left RR no choice.

How so? Unless you're saying that the USSR was trying to colonize those countries? And the Reagan administration had no choice but to break the law and lie to congress and the American people? Remember the Monroe Doctrine is not actually enshrined in US law.

Tableland Dec 16th 2007 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 5674318)
Indeed - all the way back to the Eisenhower administration

How so? Unless you're saying that the USSR was trying to colonize those countries? And the Reagan administration had no choice but to break the law and lie to congress and the American people? Remember the Monroe Doctrine is not actually enshrined in US law.

There is some evidence that Truman was considering some form of intervention in Iran as well, which pushes the date back even further. NSC 136/1 of November 1952 describes Iran's independence as integral to US interests, but unlike Ike, Truman's conclusion was that Mossadeq could be relied on to keep Iran safe. The upshot of all this is that Iran was a serious concern for Truman.

As for RR and the MD, my argument would be that presidential doctrines, while not enshrined in law, are seriously-followed guidelines in the manufacture of foreign policy and the consequent maintainance of continuity in it.

Also, you have to remember the broader context of Carter's foreign policy and the expectation of the public in terms of RR's commitment to protecting US interests and thwarting communism, etc. I'm not sure that the extra-legal status of FP doctrines has a lot to do with it because laws are for states, and the international system in a different kettle of fish.

snowbunny Dec 18th 2007 5:59 am

Lieberman endorses McCain? :blink:

Xebedee Dec 18th 2007 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by seanymc (Post 5669074)
Not sure if this has been covered but what is this obsession with the candidates' religion. As an atheist I find this very irritating.

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5669546)
I`m an atheist also.
Should a persons religious belief`s be a factor in whether we should vote for them or not?

I'm just lapsed, but its probably due to the separation of Church and State thingy which means that some Americans tend to overcompensate. Be better off with a state religion here, then everyone could just calm down and get on with things like dinner.

Zoroasterianism or Druidism or Bank of America. Or something. :blink:

fatbrit Dec 18th 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5669546)
I`m an atheist also.

In 2007 America, it's embarrassing to say it but the answer is that a politician's religion is seen as one of the most important things.

Why else would the repug candidates have to out-Jesus each other?