Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Presidential candidates

US Presidential candidates

Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Presidential candidates

Has anyone here ever actually "met" any of the US presidential candidates? IE Hillary, Obama, Rudi , Mitt etc.
I can`t vote at the moment anyway, as i`ve only got a greecard, but i`m just curious how they came across to you as a person in real life as opposed to seeing them on tv. (if a politican can regarded as person. Did they come across as genuine,honest, or sleazy and willing to say or do anything to get elected?

Or, how about any British politicans, did anyone ever meet Blair or Brown or Maggie?

Gazza
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Presidential candidates

Originally Posted by gazza64
Has anyone here ever actually "met" any of the US presidential candidates? IE Hillary, Obama, Rudi , Mitt etc.
I can`t vote at the moment anyway, as i`ve only got a greecard, but i`m just curious how they came across to you as a person in real life as opposed to seeing them on tv. (if a politican can regarded as person. Did they come across as genuine,honest, or sleazy and willing to say or do anything to get elected?

Or, how about any British politicans, did anyone ever meet Blair or Brown or Maggie?

Gazza
I met ken clarke about 15 years ago...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute

What was Ken Clarke like?
Never met him, but just seeing him on tv, would imagine he`s big and jovial,(apparently he likes pint and a cigar or two) but at the same time, intelligent, but slightly sleazy? Perhaps too big for his boots?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 6:37 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I actually had an opportunity to meet Dan Quayle (running for VP in 94), Dick Chaney (he was Secretary of Defense at the time, nice guy back then), and John Kerry (presidential campaign). To me they all seemed genuine, especially John Kerry. Believe it or not Chaney was very personable. I met him at the National War College in DC when he was the keynote speaker at my father's graduation from the course. I met Quayle when he came to my high school to speak along the campaign trail. No, he was not there to learn how to spell potato'e'.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

I met Ian Duncan Smith at a restaurant. He was a very nice guy.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 8:18 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've met Hillary (and Bill), Rudy, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, George Bush Senior....and a bunch of others....

(I used to work for the House of Representatives in Washington).

That said, I haven't met any of them this election cycle. I've been in hiding (they always ask for donations).

p.s. if you are not a US citizen, you can politely tell people who are soliciting money that it is illegal for you to contribute to any US election. Great way of getting away from the fundraisers.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:28 am
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Gordon Brown was our MP back in Scotland when I was growing up. He's a Raith fan and I'm a Dunfermline fan. 'nuff said.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Dan Quayle always came across as wee bit "nice but dim". Though, to get to be VP you can`t be all that dumb. Well, then again just look who`s in the White House now!

Kerry and IDS. Both seemed a bit grey, more civil service types than people you want running the country.

Would love to meet the Clintons. Shame the US prez can`t stand no more two times. Love or loath Bill, he made most of the world respect the US.

"Our" Gordon, hope doesn`t srew things up for himself and of course the UK, especially has he`s had to wait so long to be PM.

I used to have Ted Heath as my MP. Was bit of a grump, but a good MP.

ps, i`ll remember the advice about bods asking for campaign money
Old Dec 5th 2007, 12:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazza64

Would love to meet the Clintons. Shame the US prez can`t stand no more two times...
That's two terms on the trot, not twice total, so he could run again, but he's making more money on the talk tours ain't he...plus it's a chance to get away from the dour looking missus
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Really? I thought the US prez couldn`t serve no more two terms.

I kind of like Hillary. Must be a power thang!

Even if i could vote(which i can`t) it`ll be between Hillary or Obama for the Dems. Sorry, just couldn`t vote republican. They`re to sleazy and lets face it, everyones had enough of Dubya.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Amendment XXII:

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several states within seven years from the date of its submission to the states by the Congress.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 6:44 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

I saw Obama speak in San Francisco and was about 10 feet away from him.

If I had the right to vote, I would definitely give it to him. He is absolutely genuine, intelligent (and not in a patronising manner, mega points for that one!) and is a big fan of diplomacy I've got a massive political crush on him! R-rock my world!!

As for Mrs. Clinton... I had a professor who worked with Hillary in Arkansas and hates her with a passion! He called her a politician in the worse sense of the word, and is woman who is obsessed with how she is absolutely entitled to a position of authority by merit of her 'alliance' with Billy boy Clinton.

Hillary is just such a polarising candidate and I worry how many democrats might actually vote for a republican just to prevent her from getting into office. :curse:
Old Dec 5th 2007, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
p.s. if you are not a US citizen, you can politely tell people who are soliciting money that it is illegal for you to contribute to any US election. Great way of getting away from the fundraisers.
Even though I'm now a citizen, I still plan on using the "it's illegal" strategy.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Even though I'm now a citizen, I still plan on using the "it's illegal" strategy.
I use the simple, tried but true strategy of saying "Nope. Not interested".

Works every time.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 4:10 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I use the simple, tried but true strategy of saying "Nope. Not interested".

Works every time.
But nowhere near as much fun as saying:

"Are you trying to get me deported? Its ILLEGAL for me to give money to your campaign, you could get me shot! Now get off the phone, I could be the target of a warrant-less wiretap you imbecile!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.