British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Presidential candidates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-presidential-candidates-497911/)

gazza64 Dec 4th 2007 4:55 pm

US Presidential candidates

Has anyone here ever actually "met" any of the US presidential candidates? IE Hillary, Obama, Rudi , Mitt etc.
I can`t vote at the moment anyway, as i`ve only got a greecard, but i`m just curious how they came across to you as a person in real life as opposed to seeing them on tv. (if a politican can regarded as person:D. Did they come across as genuine,honest, or sleazy and willing to say or do anything to get elected?

Or, how about any British politicans, did anyone ever meet Blair or Brown or Maggie?

Gazza

BritGuyTN Dec 4th 2007 5:12 pm

Re: US Presidential candidates

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5632439)
Has anyone here ever actually "met" any of the US presidential candidates? IE Hillary, Obama, Rudi , Mitt etc.
I can`t vote at the moment anyway, as i`ve only got a greecard, but i`m just curious how they came across to you as a person in real life as opposed to seeing them on tv. (if a politican can regarded as person:D. Did they come across as genuine,honest, or sleazy and willing to say or do anything to get elected?

Or, how about any British politicans, did anyone ever meet Blair or Brown or Maggie?

Gazza

I met ken clarke about 15 years ago...

gazza64 Dec 4th 2007 5:37 pm

What was Ken Clarke like?
Never met him, but just seeing him on tv, would imagine he`s big and jovial,(apparently he likes pint and a cigar or two) but at the same time, intelligent, but slightly sleazy? Perhaps too big for his boots?

ugacrew Dec 4th 2007 6:37 pm

I actually had an opportunity to meet Dan Quayle (running for VP in 94), Dick Chaney (he was Secretary of Defense at the time, nice guy back then), and John Kerry (presidential campaign). To me they all seemed genuine, especially John Kerry. Believe it or not Chaney was very personable. I met him at the National War College in DC when he was the keynote speaker at my father's graduation from the course. I met Quayle when he came to my high school to speak along the campaign trail. No, he was not there to learn how to spell potato'e'.

cranston Dec 4th 2007 7:33 pm

I met Ian Duncan Smith at a restaurant. He was a very nice guy.

penguinsix Dec 4th 2007 8:18 pm

I've met Hillary (and Bill), Rudy, Fred Thompson, Ron Paul, George Bush Senior....and a bunch of others....

(I used to work for the House of Representatives in Washington).

That said, I haven't met any of them this election cycle. I've been in hiding (they always ask for donations).

p.s. if you are not a US citizen, you can politely tell people who are soliciting money that it is illegal for you to contribute to any US election. Great way of getting away from the fundraisers.

HoosierDaddy Dec 5th 2007 12:28 am

Gordon Brown was our MP back in Scotland when I was growing up. He's a Raith fan and I'm a Dunfermline fan. 'nuff said.

gazza64 Dec 5th 2007 12:36 am

Dan Quayle always came across as wee bit "nice but dim". Though, to get to be VP you can`t be all that dumb. Well, then again just look who`s in the White House now!

Kerry and IDS. Both seemed a bit grey, more civil service types than people you want running the country.

Would love to meet the Clintons. Shame the US prez can`t stand no more two times. Love or loath Bill, he made most of the world respect the US.

"Our" Gordon, hope doesn`t srew things up for himself and of course the UK, especially has he`s had to wait so long to be PM.

I used to have Ted Heath as my MP. Was bit of a grump, but a good MP.

ps, i`ll remember the advice about bods asking for campaign money:p

Bob Dec 5th 2007 12:53 am

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5634069)

Would love to meet the Clintons. Shame the US prez can`t stand no more two times...

That's two terms on the trot, not twice total, so he could run again, but he's making more money on the talk tours ain't he...plus it's a chance to get away from the dour looking missus :lol:

gazza64 Dec 5th 2007 1:17 am

Really? I thought the US prez couldn`t serve no more two terms.

I kind of like Hillary. Must be a power thang! :wub:

Even if i could vote(which i can`t) it`ll be between Hillary or Obama for the Dems. Sorry, just couldn`t vote republican. They`re to sleazy and lets face it, everyones had enough of Dubya.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 5th 2007 6:06 am

Amendment XXII:

Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term.

Section 2. This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution by the legislatures of three-fourths of the several states within seven years from the date of its submission to the states by the Congress.

twiggy1984 Dec 5th 2007 6:44 am

I saw Obama speak in San Francisco and was about 10 feet away from him.

If I had the right to vote, I would definitely give it to him. He is absolutely genuine, intelligent (and not in a patronising manner, mega points for that one!) and is a big fan of diplomacy :thumbsup: I've got a massive political crush on him! R-rock my world!! :wub:

As for Mrs. Clinton... I had a professor who worked with Hillary in Arkansas and hates her with a passion! He called her a politician in the worse sense of the word, and is woman who is obsessed with how she is absolutely entitled to a position of authority by merit of her 'alliance' with Billy boy Clinton.

Hillary is just such a polarising candidate and I worry how many democrats might actually vote for a republican just to prevent her from getting into office. :curse:

Bill_S Dec 5th 2007 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 5633193)
p.s. if you are not a US citizen, you can politely tell people who are soliciting money that it is illegal for you to contribute to any US election. Great way of getting away from the fundraisers.

Even though I'm now a citizen, I still plan on using the "it's illegal" strategy. ;)

Tracym Dec 5th 2007 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 5636106)
Even though I'm now a citizen, I still plan on using the "it's illegal" strategy. ;)

I use the simple, tried but true strategy of saying "Nope. Not interested".

Works every time.

Titchski Dec 5th 2007 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5636361)
I use the simple, tried but true strategy of saying "Nope. Not interested".

Works every time.

But nowhere near as much fun as saying:

"Are you trying to get me deported? Its ILLEGAL for me to give money to your campaign, you could get me shot! Now get off the phone, I could be the target of a warrant-less wiretap you imbecile!"

gazza64 Dec 5th 2007 4:26 pm

Twiggy1984: I must admit, Obama does seem like a breath of fresh air compared to all the others, Democrat or Republican.

Some Democrats aren`t gonna be so stupid to vote Republican just so Hillary can`t get the White House are they? What, and risk getting another Republican as Prez? :curse:

Seahorse3 Dec 5th 2007 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5634182)
Really? I thought the US prez couldn`t serve no more two terms.

I kind of like Hillary. Must be a power thang! :wub:

Even if i could vote(which i can`t) it`ll be between Hillary or Obama for the Dems. Sorry, just couldn`t vote republican. They`re to sleazy and lets face it, everyones had enough of Dubya.

And the democrats are not. Give me an effing break. If someone does not like the president no matter who it is (Dem, Rep, etc), the office should be respected. :mad:

gazza64 Dec 5th 2007 5:13 pm

I DO and would respect the Office of President, just not Dubya. Who can truly say he`s been a good President??? The war in Iraq costing hundreds of thousands of lives, failing to sign up for ANY environmental laws, countless lies, and abuses of power, low standing of the US in the world, need i go on?
Even people withing the republicans can`t wait to get rid of him!

twiggy1984 Dec 5th 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5636434)
Twiggy1984: I must admit, Obama does seem like a breath of fresh air compared to all the others, Democrat or Republican.

Some Democrats aren`t gonna be so stupid to vote Republican just so Hillary can`t get the White House are they? What, and risk getting another Republican as Prez? :curse:

Thing is, it could very well happen!

I remember a poll (can't remember which one as there have been more than I can think of) which measured the percentage of people who would NOT vote for a nominee, if they were put up as candidates.

Hillary topped that one, and this poll frightens me because...

It essentially means that if she were to get the democratic nomination, more democrats would either vote for someone else, or refuse to vote just to prevent her from getting to the White house.

And if that ends up being the case, it would mean that a great number of what would previously have been democratic votes, would either go off the radar or be given to the republicans.

Gaaaah!! It scares the crap out of me!

Tracym Dec 5th 2007 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 5636396)
But nowhere near as much fun as saying:

"Are you trying to get me deported? Its ILLEGAL for me to give money to your campaign, you could get me shot! Now get off the phone, I could be the target of a warrant-less wiretap you imbecile!"

True, that is more entertaining :)

Brit3964 Dec 5th 2007 9:46 pm

[/QUOTE]p.s. if you are not a US citizen, you can politely tell people who are soliciting money that it is illegal for you to contribute to any US election. Great way of getting away from the fundraisers.[/QUOTE]

That's a good strategy for getting rid of the fundraisers but in reality, so long as you are an LPR, you can contribute to the coffers:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/brochures/foreign.shtml

Silly Sod Dec 6th 2007 3:18 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5632519)
I met ken clarke about 15 years ago...

I met Michael Jack years ago. Tory twat. The milk snatcher came to our street when I was a kid and we all had great fun chanting maggie maggie maggie, out out out!!!! It were propa bo a tell thee!!!! :)

clarky2o2o Dec 7th 2007 7:04 pm

I met charles kennedy (yeah it was in a pub) once. he seemed "fluent" in his answers to every political question thrown at him including the most important question "whos hotter katie price or jodie marsh"

i voted him based on that answer:D

gazza64 Dec 7th 2007 10:08 pm

Jodie Marsh of course! hic

Michaelmike5556 Dec 11th 2007 8:48 pm

I would put money that Rudy will be the next president . As for sleaze i would say ever president of the US has been Sleazy to a degree the important thing is that there sleaze represents the publics Sleaze .

Sounds kinda crazy saying that but Reagan and Clinton were both real good Presidents both bent the rules for themselves from time to time . But the majority of people thought it was either a good thing or really didnt matter . a huge difference from a current leadership

BritGuyTN Dec 11th 2007 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Michaelmike5556 (Post 5657964)
Sounds kinda crazy saying that but Reagan and Clinton were both real good Presidents .

what basis do you have for saying Reagan was 'real good'?

marriedtothemod Dec 11th 2007 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5658386)

compared to Bush?

Edit: balls, it's the bloke, forgot to log in.

BritGuyTN Dec 11th 2007 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by marriedtothemod (Post 5658422)
compared to Bush?

Edit: balls, it's the bloke, forgot to log in.

lets please not use him as a yardstick... :rofl:

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Dec 12th 2007 12:29 am

We need a constitution, with a 22nd ammendment for London.

ugacrew Dec 12th 2007 12:50 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5658386)

I don't consider myself a Republican but I will have to say that he affected my life in a positive way. He was responsible for increasing military spending and raising the morale of our troops after they had taken a serious blow during the Vietnam war. My dad will tell you that it was pretty bleak for all those involved. Because of this spending, my father's chances of becoming a 'career man' became a reality. I and so many other dependents, spouses, and civilian workers benefited from this as well. I would definitely be a different person had this not occurred. For that I'm thankful for his administration. However on the other hand his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.

BritGuyTN Dec 12th 2007 3:03 am

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5658600)
I don't consider myself a Republican but I will have to say that he affected my life in a positive way. He was responsible for increasing military spending and raising the morale of our troops after they had taken a serious blow during the Vietnam war. My dad will tell you that it was pretty bleak for all those involved. Because of this spending, my father's chances of becoming a 'career man' became a reality. I and so many other dependents, spouses, and civilian workers benefited from this as well. I would definitely be a different person had this not occurred. For that I'm thankful for his administration. However on the other hand his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.

you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance :)

ugacrew Dec 12th 2007 3:06 am

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 5658900)
you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance :)

Feel free to. I was only reflecting on that part of is overall agenda. There's a lot he can be blamed for. You could also say with hindsight that his association with Sadam has led us to this quagmire as well. Again, just hindsight.

twiggy1984 Dec 12th 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles (Post 5658536)
We need a constitution, with a 22nd ammendment for London.

Little confused? What exactly do you mean? The 22nd constitutional amendment refers to term limit for the Office of the President...

snowbunny Dec 12th 2007 3:40 am

Originally Posted by ugacrew (Post 5658600)
However on the other hand his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.

His fiscal policies cost my father his job and sent us into poverty. (I've said this before you joined, so I'll keep it brief). Beyond this personal grudge, there's Iran-Contra, the huge increase in military spending AND a huge cut in taxes sending the country into massive debt, and much, much more....

....but he's still wasn't as bad as Bush.

ugacrew Dec 12th 2007 3:46 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5658996)
His fiscal policies cost my father his job and sent us into poverty. (I've said this before you joined, so I'll keep it brief). Beyond this personal grudge, there's Iran-Contra, the huge increase in military spending AND a huge cut in taxes sending the country into massive debt, and much, much more....

I'm sorry to hear that. I totally agree with you about the Reagan-Bush comparison. I don't think anyone could be worse. I'm not sure it was his military spending that did it since the military was deficient. I believe his practice of Trickle-Down economics is what ultimately did us in, ergo the stock market crash of '87. Anyway....:)

Manc Dec 12th 2007 4:33 am

Originally Posted by gazza64 (Post 5636434)
Twiggy1984: I must admit, Obama does seem like a breath of fresh air

I think he's an empty suit.
He's too ready to pull apart other peoples ideas, but has never really elaborated on any of his own ideas

surly Dec 12th 2007 5:00 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5658996)

Ironically he is some kind of conservative hero almost to the point of beatification, when his fiscal polices were the antithesis of conservatism.

Even GHWB called then voodoo economics.

surly Dec 12th 2007 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5659093)
I think he's an empty suit.
He's too ready to pull apart other peoples ideas, but has never really elaborated on any of his own ideas

Even that has to be better than what we presently have, the illegal, paranoid criminal ideas of the present administration.

snowbunny Dec 12th 2007 5:14 am

Originally Posted by surly (Post 5659137)
Even that has to be better than what we presently have, the illegal, paranoid criminal ideas of the present administration.

What's to stop an empty suit from being filled with more of the same ideas once the suit's in power? You need someone who can already fill out the clothes.

surly Dec 12th 2007 5:21 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 5659154)
What's to stop an empty suit from being filled with more of the same ideas once the suit's in power? You need someone who can already fill out the clothes.

Ralph Nader's not running.