Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Presidential candidates

US Presidential candidates

Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:03 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Presidential candidates

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I don't consider myself a Republican but I will have to say that he affected my life in a positive way. He was responsible for increasing military spending and raising the morale of our troops after they had taken a serious blow during the Vietnam war. My dad will tell you that it was pretty bleak for all those involved. Because of this spending, my father's chances of becoming a 'career man' became a reality. I and so many other dependents, spouses, and civilian workers benefited from this as well. I would definitely be a different person had this not occurred. For that I'm thankful for his administration. However on the other hand his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.
you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:06 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
you could also say that Reagan foreign policy is responsible for the mess we are in with al qaeda and the taliban

Nothing to say of panama/nicaragua/contra and arms to Iran

I'm just taking a slightly contrarian stance
Feel free to. I was only reflecting on that part of is overall agenda. There's a lot he can be blamed for. You could also say with hindsight that his association with Sadam has led us to this quagmire as well. Again, just hindsight.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:11 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
We need a constitution, with a 22nd ammendment for London.
Little confused? What exactly do you mean? The 22nd constitutional amendment refers to term limit for the Office of the President...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

However on the other hand his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.
His fiscal policies cost my father his job and sent us into poverty. (I've said this before you joined, so I'll keep it brief). Beyond this personal grudge, there's Iran-Contra, the huge increase in military spending AND a huge cut in taxes sending the country into massive debt, and much, much more....

....but he's still wasn't as bad as Bush.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:46 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
His fiscal policies cost my father his job and sent us into poverty. (I've said this before you joined, so I'll keep it brief). Beyond this personal grudge, there's Iran-Contra, the huge increase in military spending AND a huge cut in taxes sending the country into massive debt, and much, much more....

I'm sorry to hear that. I totally agree with you about the Reagan-Bush comparison. I don't think anyone could be worse. I'm not sure it was his military spending that did it since the military was deficient. I believe his practice of Trickle-Down economics is what ultimately did us in, ergo the stock market crash of '87. Anyway....
Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:33 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazza64
Twiggy1984: I must admit, Obama does seem like a breath of fresh air
I think he's an empty suit.
He's too ready to pull apart other peoples ideas, but has never really elaborated on any of his own ideas
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically he is some kind of conservative hero almost to the point of beatification, when his fiscal polices were the antithesis of conservatism.

Even GHWB called then voodoo economics.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I think he's an empty suit.
He's too ready to pull apart other peoples ideas, but has never really elaborated on any of his own ideas
Even that has to be better than what we presently have, the illegal, paranoid criminal ideas of the present administration.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:14 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Even that has to be better than what we presently have, the illegal, paranoid criminal ideas of the present administration.
What's to stop an empty suit from being filled with more of the same ideas once the suit's in power? You need someone who can already fill out the clothes.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

What's to stop an empty suit from being filled with more of the same ideas once the suit's in power? You need someone who can already fill out the clothes.
Ralph Nader's not running.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twiggy1984
Little confused? What exactly do you mean? The 22nd constitutional amendment refers to term limit for the Office of the President...
I know

I was being facetious and referring to limiting Ken's term of office to two also. Sorry ... bit left field.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:02 pm
Lapine Member

Ralph Nader's not running.
While I like the man's stance on issues, I will never forgive him for splitting the vote in 2000.

I wonder if he'd still do it with hindsight of all the destruction Bush has wrought.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

gazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond reputegazza64 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Snowbunny, I admire Nader for sticking to his principles.
But even if the votes for Nader had gone to Gore, and Gore had become Prez,yes, the US would have signed up for Kyoto, but we would probably still be in the mess that is Iraq, given that the same "intelligence' reports written by the CIA,NSA,MI6 etc given to Bush would have been read by Gore, and maybe he would have come to the same conclusion that Saddam had WMD`s. I`m not trying to defend Bush. I know i have to be careful as i`m not American, but most agree he`s been a disaster for the US and the world in general.

As for Hillary and Obama. If i were American i`d go for Hillary for Prez and Obama as Vice Prez, that`s of course if they were to team up and run together. Ruby`s the best of the republicans, but still wouldn`t get my vote.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 8:07 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

[Reagan] was responsible for increasing military spending ... his economic policies had a lot left to be desired.
The first part of that post might have to do with the second! Spending billions on conventional warfare against an enemy that was dissolving (the Soviet Union - and NB the CIA was just as wrong about them as they were on Saddam), conniving (sp?) to break an arms embargo on Iran to fund fascists in Central America without legislature oversight, and propping up military regimes in Saudi and Pakistan, and funding Islamic extremists in Afghanistan (how did that work out for us?). Meanwhile at home, the inner cities dissolved through a combination of crack, poverty and unemployment.

Reagan - not a great president, even in comparison to the current resident.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

not really.
Hasn't Obama openly decreed he'd go into Pakistan unilaterally.

how is that a good thing?

he's a know-nothing wannabe.

Last edited by Manc; Dec 13th 2007 at 12:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.