Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Preclearance at Dublin Airport

US Preclearance at Dublin Airport

Old Jul 23rd 2017, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Bluebell744 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Preclearance at Dublin Airport

We're flying to Des Moines in two weeks (via Dublin and Chicago). I have a B2 visa and my partner a J1. We can do the preclearance at Dublin but can anyone tell me what I need paperwork wise apart from passport/visa. I'm sure I read somewhere about forms that need filling in but can't find the info now. We've only a two hour stop at Dublin and the Aer Lingus website tells you to allow three hours so I'm wanting to be prepared to get through quickly. Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Preclearance at Dublin Airport

It is exactly the same as clearing immigration in the US, so exactly the same process takes place. ... The flight then lands as if it was a US domestic flight, though there is a more than theoretical risk that if you are wanted in the US (there is a warrant for your arrest) you can be arrested by USCBP officers on arrival on US soil.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, from my experience, the pre-clearance in Dublin is very fast. I went through just yesterday morning!

I went through security and the POE officer within 15 minutes.

The form you are asking about to fill is probably a declarations form which the aer lingus check in desk will give you when you check your bag in at your starting airport.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

2 hours is FINE. The 3 hours is for people that have to check in etc.

1) The estimates for pre clearance are pretty legit....Go to the bar and have a pint and wait for your flight to display to "go to pre-clearance".

2) It's exactly the same process as entering in the US, the only difference is that you have to do TSA security - so another queue.

There's a really small bar on the other side - have another pint.

When you get to your destination, you'll arrive right into the domestic terminal - it's actually a little disconcerting but nice.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

Thank you - I'm glad it was all hassle free for you. I've been following your posts as we seemed to be going at similar times.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
2 hours is FINE. The 3 hours is for people that have to check in etc.

1) The estimates for pre clearance are pretty legit....Go to the bar and have a pint and wait for your flight to display to "go to pre-clearance".

2) It's exactly the same process as entering in the US, the only difference is that you have to do TSA security - so another queue.

There's a really small bar on the other side - have another pint.

When you get to your destination, you'll arrive right into the domestic terminal - it's actually a little disconcerting but nice.
Bars! That's my way of travelling! I think I was worried that it would take so long we wouldn't get to a bar!!! I feel much less stressed now - thank you!