British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Postal international express? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-postal-international-express-204363/)

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2004 8:30 pm

US Postal international express?

Is there such a thing?. I will need to post something back to the U.K. next week and need it there a little quicker than your average mail time of between 5 to 10 days.

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2004 8:42 pm

Ok, I found it on their website. $32 dollars for Global Express Guaranteed Document Service:scared: 2 to 3 days delivery.

Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (small) $5.00 4 to 6 days.

or 80 cents for regular airmail at 4 to 7 days.

blueedge Jan 21st 2004 8:58 pm

Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (small) $5.00 4 to 6 days

I use this all the time, it's never taken 6 days. One example, I mailed it Friday afternoon, they got it the following Tuesday, and if the weekend doesn't get in the way, it'll be faster.

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2004 9:00 pm

Originally posted by blueedge

I use this all the time, it's never taken 6 days. One example, I mailed it Friday afternoon, they got it the following Tuesday, and if the weekend doesn't get in the way, it'll be faster.
Thanks. Does this type of mail have to be signed for when it reaches the u.k.?

NC Penguin Jan 21st 2004 9:03 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Ok, I found it on their website. $32 dollars for Global Express Guaranteed Document Service:scared: 2 to 3 days delivery.

Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (small) $5.00 4 to 6 days.

or 80 cents for regular airmail at 4 to 7 days.
The Global Priority Mail described above is really for documents. It's a cardboard envelope. If you have something bulky, it'll cost plenty more.

What you need to do is to have the item ready packed and be prepared to grill your USPS staff about the variety of postal options.

NC Penguin (I like emptying my local post office of all its 80c stamps!!)

dudleydowg Jan 21st 2004 9:04 pm

Have you tried Fedex or UPS, we had some documents and a parcel to send last April and needed it to go ASAP so we contacted UPS and they gave us our local walk in office in Sierra Vista AZ, it wasn't cheap $50 but it got to the UK quicker than we did about 3 days

Pimpbot Jan 21st 2004 9:08 pm

Its only two forms on A4 size paper. So its not going to weigh much more than your average birthday card would.

dunroving Jan 21st 2004 9:52 pm

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Its only two forms on A4 size paper. So its not going to weigh much more than your average birthday card would.
If you go to the UPS Website and input destination, weight etc., they'll tell you when they guarantee to get it there via Global Express. Not cheap, though. You can also track it during its journey.

VERY IMPORTANT, though to make sure they type the address correctly, and give them a contact number in the UK for them to call if they need directions. Learned that the hard way.

blueedge Jan 21st 2004 10:50 pm

It doesn't have to be signed when it's delivered, and the small size can fit a video tape in it, which I've done just use extra tape to secure the edges.

Durhams Jan 22nd 2004 1:26 am

I posted a birthday to the UK on Monday morning with an 80cents stamp on it, and they received it today 7am!!!!!

Pimpbot Jan 22nd 2004 4:57 am

We've just had some weird goings on with our post being sent back to the U.K. recently. All our xmas cards were sent out to the UK at the same time, but my brothers arrived more than a week later than my parents card and they live just over a mile apart. Then my sister in laws birthday card takes almost two weeks to arrive and then two large boxes that we spent $100 dollars in postage on also take 13 days to arrive. For some reason, everything we send to them arrives late.