Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US postage rates for ebay sales - good deals?

US postage rates for ebay sales - good deals?

Old May 10th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default US postage rates for ebay sales - good deals?

Hi all

Does anyone have any tips or tricks regarding getting the best mailing deals when selling ebay items?

Eg I have a bunch of kids clothes. It seems that auctioning them in bundles gets more sales and higher prices. Is there any package weight range that seems to be most cost effective? ie below 1.5lb etc..

If I'm aware of this then I can make sure that it's ok to throw in an extra pair of jeans vs a t-shirt.

Thanks!
Old May 10th 2012, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US postage rates for ebay sales - good deals?

Set postage to cover those pre-paid boxes might be the best option, for a small box?

Anything under 2 pounds is the cheapest rates for regular mail, over that gets pricey.

Other option might be to sell to a local consignment type store? Kid to Kids, or that kind of chain?
Old May 10th 2012, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

(i) There are alternatives to the USPS.
(ii) Play around looking at rates on the USPS (and competitors) websites. They all have price calculators for packages of differing weight/dimensions etc.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:53 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hi all

Does anyone have any tips or tricks regarding getting the best mailing deals when selling ebay items?

Eg I have a bunch of kids clothes. It seems that auctioning them in bundles gets more sales and higher prices. Is there any package weight range that seems to be most cost effective? ie below 1.5lb etc..

If I'm aware of this then I can make sure that it's ok to throw in an extra pair of jeans vs a t-shirt.

Thanks!
You can let eBay handle that hassle for you. Simple weigh items accurately for all your listings, don't forget to add a little for packaging. Sell the items using the calculated method. From eBay:
Creating calculated shipping rules

Calculated shipping rules let you combine multiple purchases from a buyer into one shipment, which is generally less expensive than shipping items separately. If you set up calculated shipping rules, you can either:
Automatically combine the weights of all the items purchased into one shipment
Automatically combine the weights of the items into one shipment and subtract an amount (in ounces)
Example 1: If a buyer purchases 3 items from you, and each of them weigh 5 ounces, you can set up a rule that, instead of 3 different 5-ounce shipments, the buyer will be charged for one 15-ounce shipment.

Example 2: If a buyer purchases 3 items from you, and each weighs 5 ounces, you can set up a rule that will combine them into one 15-ounce shipment, and then automatically deduct 3 ounces from the total weight.

Note: Calculated shipping rules will only apply to listings for which you specify calculated shipping and combined shipping discounts.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/shipping-discounts.html