Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US post interview etiquette

US post interview etiquette

Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US post interview etiquette

At one time in US employment history, it was the norm to send a polite note after an interview. That has changed and a note will be trashed or deleted from the computer once received. Too many applicants for the one position that is open and thus, if you were invited for an interview then you know that you are a contender for the position.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:14 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. i think you have given me evidence that its NOT a 100% expected thing, AND in the scenario described is likely pretty superfluous.

Much appreciated!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

For my first job in the US, my in-laws told me I should send one (typed out and sent via regular mail). I didn't get the job, but I got another interview at the same company a few months later and they said they were very impressed by the letter. I have no idea what I wrote in it. I was offered the new job and took it. This company hires based on personality type as well as ability, so it had a very pleasant atmosphere to work in.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
For my first job in the US, my in-laws told me I should send one (typed out and sent via regular mail). I didn't get the job, but I got another interview at the same company a few months later and they said they were very impressed by the letter. I have no idea what I wrote in it. I was offered the new job and took it. This company hires based on personality type as well as ability, so it had a very pleasant atmosphere to work in.
That reminds me that my first ever job out of Uni, I got by just writing letters to companies on spec. This was pre-internet.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

I moved here on an L1 visa and was sponsored for GC. I put my feet into the water of the job hunting world and found the following

It is completely organization specific.

I went through the mill for a certain company with a "fruit" name. I didn't get the first job I went for - however, the hiring manager said that I was a close second and that his manager was interested in me - and that I should reach out.

I did - I thanked him for the opportunity of interviewing, for him flying across country to interview me and that if was an opportunity in the future, I'd still be interested. 5 months later, I was in front of him again after he phoned me to gauge my interest. Similar position - different location...same interview routine - 9 months later...we're in that different location in a job that I love.

In IT it is seen as mandatory to sent a brief thank you note to your contacts (usually interviewers - not HR) for the opportunity.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
I moved here on an L1 visa and was sponsored for GC. I put my feet into the water of the job hunting world and found the following

It is completely organization specific.

I went through the mill for a certain company with a "fruit" name. I didn't get the first job I went for - however, the hiring manager said that I was a close second and that his manager was interested in me - and that I should reach out.

I did - I thanked him for the opportunity of interviewing, for him flying across country to interview me and that if was an opportunity in the future, I'd still be interested. 5 months later, I was in front of him again after he phoned me to gauge my interest. Similar position - different location...same interview routine - 9 months later...we're in that different location in a job that I love.

In IT it is seen as mandatory to sent a brief thank you note to your contacts (usually interviewers - not HR) for the opportunity.
Not for the company I work for. So it may be manager specific. The job I'm in they basically told me at the interview that I had the job. Quite often you do not necessarily get given the interviewers personal details. Would it be seen as rude to send someone a message without being given their details? Again depends.

Also maybe it depends at what level you are interviewing at.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Please note, when you live in the states it is best to adjust to it, I have had multiple interviews, the most important thing is to show the value that you can bring to the company. Secondly, the ability to bond with people is equally important, not every one has been outside of their country or even experience the same experiences of an expat, so listening and responding accordingly is very important.

So, when asked tell me about yourself, that really means they are trying to find out if you are worth spending time with, after the interview is done. A thank you note helps but really depend on the rank, or industry. Making people not forget you is the key, so say something interesting by that I mean listen attentively people tend to give away more about themselves if the interview is a two way one rather than a one way.

Finally, if a company is more interested in your skills then that is a clear sign that the job is not a good one.

Originally Posted by MsElui
Asking for a friend :P

I know the way its done here is to send a thank you note after a job interview, but man o man i struggle with this concept. NOT the Brit way at all.

what do you guys normally say?

Also in 'the friends particular case' they do not have direct contact details of the two interviewers - only the recruiter who organized the interview. Do you send it via the recruiter in that kind of scenario.

Also - 2nd interview was late yesterday (first interview was by phone earlier this week). Before anything can be sent today - the recruiter has already been in touch to book the third and final interview with these people's boss/director. Should they send in an email to the 2 people anyway - even though the 3rd interview is booked?

any advice gladly accepted
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:47 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Finally, if a company is more interested in your skills then that is a clear sign that the job is not a good one.
Joke of the day? Made me laugh.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, when I interviewed candidates when I was in the US, not everyone contacted me (company policy to give the interviewee our business cards). Those that did, I noticed that the poorer job they did at interview then the more lengthy and florid their emails.

We took no notice whatsoever of any post-interview contact on deciding whether they were successful or not.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

From the breadth of answers given so far - some good some ....I think it is pretty clear its a personal choice whether to send a thank you. For me it has always been about living my life a certain way and being true to myself. Thanking people is a natural thing to do. How they choose to take it is up to them.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Please note, when you live in the states it is best to adjust to it, I have had multiple interviews, the most important thing is to show the value that you can bring to the company. Secondly, the ability to bond with people is equally important, not every one has been outside of their country or even experience the same experiences of an expat, so listening and responding accordingly is very important.

So, when asked tell me about yourself, that really means they are trying to find out if you are worth spending time with, after the interview is done. A thank you note helps but really depend on the rank, or industry. Making people not forget you is the key, so say something interesting by that I mean listen attentively people tend to give away more about themselves if the interview is a two way one rather than a one way.

I think interviewers are looking for personality as well as technical skills at interview. Try to bring that across and smile when you greet the person and thank them on the way out and possible express how you feel about the company/environment. Maybe a letter is good if the job involves a lot of writing.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a quick "thank you for your time, pleasure to meet you" type e-mail is fine.

Anything more and it gets to be begging and as an interviewer I don't like it.

I'd say if in doubt on what to send, nothing is ok.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I ponder to understand why this is so funny, especially for another whom is looking for a career and not just a job.
Originally Posted by az2014
Joke of the day? Made me laugh.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I ponder to understand why this is so funny, especially for another whom is looking for a career and not just a job.
Perhaps it was just your user name ...
Old Oct 6th 2017, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you that this was not funny. It is plainly absurd to suggest that a potential employer's interest in your skills means the job is a no-no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.