Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Policy on Home Defence?

US Policy on Home Defence?

Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:18 pm
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice
Default US Policy on Home Defence?

I came home this afternoon to find a notice on my front door from my apartment management. Apparently there have been a spate of robberies in our apartment block the past two nights, resulting in stolen cars and break-ins to people's homes with various amounts of electronics and valuables being stolen.

I am taking no chances and will protect myself and my family to the hilt. Without question, if I am woken up tonight to the sounds of somebody rummaging through my belongings, I'm taking my BB gun and putting enough pops in his ass and legs that he won't be sleeping comfortably. Failing that, a baseball to the side of his head should make him think twice.

Note I am not talking about shooting to kill or using bullets, etc...simply disabling someone. I want to know what rights would I have in this situation? Does the US have the same Tony Martin style of justice for people defending their homes? I'm certainly not going to be firing warning shots or calling out verbal warnings, thus giving the intruder the opportunity to load his own gun. Hit them fore they hit you.

Anyone know about US policy on this stuff? Thanks.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Policy on Home Defence?

Originally Posted by Truth
I came home this afternoon to find a notice on my front door from my apartment management. Apparently there have been a spate of robberies in our apartment block the past two nights, resulting in stolen cars and break-ins to people's homes with various amounts of electronics and valuables being stolen.

I am taking no chances and will protect myself and my family to the hilt. Without question, if I am woken up tonight to the sounds of somebody rummaging through my belongings, I'm taking my BB gun and putting enough pops in his ass and legs that he won't be sleeping comfortably. Failing that, a baseball to the side of his head should make him think twice.

Note I am not talking about shooting to kill or using bullets, etc...simply disabling someone. I want to know what rights would I have in this situation? Does the US have the same Tony Martin style of justice for people defending their homes? I'm certainly not going to be firing warning shots or calling out verbal warnings, thus giving the intruder the opportunity to load his own gun. Hit them fore they hit you.
If an intruder is in your house with a gun, you can bet it is already loaded.

However, if they are inside your private residence, you're permitted to kill the shit out of them.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

rules vary by state to state.

some states have "make my day laws" some don't.

but that's why you have renters / homeowners insurance
1) for if they nick a load of your stuff
2) You shot them in the bollocks and they sue you for liability.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:53 pm
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
If an intruder is in your house with a gun, you can bet it is already loaded.

However, if they are inside your private residence, you're permitted to kill the shit out of them.
Thank you for the kind advice, Leslie. I know back home in England things are a mixed shade of grey. You can kill and intruder and end up behind bars yourself. But if US Policy is to defend your home even to the deaths, then that's fine with me. I'm taking no chances - I'm gonna disable this intruder.

I just don't want the bastard costing me my visa. That's worth more than him stealing the TV.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:54 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont ever use a BB gun on an intruder. That is a great way to get yourself killed. If you dont want to use a gun, try a taser (expensive) or a very very good pepper spray. This is not the UK. There is a pretty good chance of the intruder having either a knife or a gun. You may only have one chance to get this guy. Either use something powerful or hide and call the police.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Personally I'd off load 7 cartridges of 00 Buck into them. Call the police then let them come take the carcass away. But thats just me. And this is Florida.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:21 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the kind advice, Leslie. I know back home in England things are a mixed shade of grey. You can kill and intruder and end up behind bars yourself. But if US Policy is to defend your home even to the deaths, then that's fine with me. I'm taking no chances - I'm gonna disable this intruder.

I just don't want the bastard costing me my visa. That's worth more than him stealing the TV.
The laws in Texas are very much pro-homeowner/renter. I've never heard of anybody having any problem as long as they were defending their family and/or property.

I don't remember what state it happened in but my favorite story is about a little old lady who woke up to find an intruder in her bedroom. When he forced her to give him oral sex she bit his penis in half. Then she called the ambulance for him.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:34 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

BB gun? Great if you're being burgled by squirrels. But if you shoot at a real burglar with a BB gun they'll probably die laughing at you
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
BB gun? Great if you're being burgled by squirrels. But if you shoot at a real burglar with a BB gun they'll probably die laughing at you
Well the whole choice of the BB gun was basically to disable someone...I'm certainly don't need a murder case in my life at the moment, or even a deportation back home. I've seen someone shot with a decent calibre gun and a few of those pellets in your ass and groin are nothing to laugh about about. I also mentioned the baseball bat. I'm not looking to kill the guy - just incapacitate him.

All very interesting answers though, definitely food for though.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:44 pm

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Well the whole choice of the BB gun was basically to disable someone...I'm certainly don't need a murder case in my life at the moment, or even a deportation back home. I've seen someone shot with a decent calibre gun and a few of those pellets in your ass and groin are nothing to laugh about about. I also mentioned the baseball bat. I'm not looking to kill the guy - just incapacitate him.

Get a high-powered paintball gun and take his eyes out.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Did he say "Give him time to load his own gun"?!?

Um what makes you think they'll be sporting and not take it pre-loaded?

If you shoot a burglar with your BB gun you will in all likely hood die.

Here are your options:
-Shoot to kill with a real gun (please at least take some basic training first).
-Fight with what you have with the thought that you will kill them at all costs.
-Cower like a victim and hope they are really just nice and misunderstood and will go away after taking your posessions and not kill you anyway.

Out of interest what state do you live in?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by syllk
Get a high-powered paintball gun and take his eyes out.
And thank you Annie Oakley for your input.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:50 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

A BB gun will not disable someone, you'll just piss them off. I've been shot by one on a few occasions, and I know. They are annoying, but that's about it. A baseball bat is better, but you have to get close to your victim to actually use it. Best bet is to get yourself a .38 or a 9mm. If you don't want to kill them shoot them in the leg.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

How about getting a dead bolt for the front-door and some window locks?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:55 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
A BB gun will not disable someone, you'll just piss them off. I've been shot by one on a few occasions.
And were you burgling people at the time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.