Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Passport renewal query

US Passport renewal query

Old Apr 21st 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Passport renewal query

Scenario:
  • Wifey has a US passport, with a few months left on it
  • The passport's photo page has her maiden name on it
  • We got married and she moved to the UK to live with me within a week of marriage
  • We sent her passport to the US consulate in the UK to get the name changed, which they did - it appears at the other end of the passport

Under these circumstances, is the passport deemed to be currently in her maiden or married name? That is to say, do we need to provide additional proof of marriage when sending in the renewal form (DS-82)?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport renewal query

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Scenario:
  • Wifey has a US passport, with a few months left on it
  • The passport's photo page has her maiden name on it
  • We got married and she moved to the UK to live with me within a week of marriage
  • We sent her passport to the US consulate in the UK to get the name changed, which they did - it appears at the other end of the passport

Under these circumstances, is the passport deemed to be currently in her maiden or married name? That is to say, do we need to provide additional proof of marriage when sending in the renewal form (DS-82)?
Errrr, good question. I did the same thing when my OH and I married. (I always have to flip the thing to the back page cuz the silly check-in agent looks at me strangely when the ticket and PP names don't match) I would say that the passport is now in her married name since you had it officially amended. As such, she should not need to send in the marriage cert again. However, as with all things gov't related, it probably ain't a bad idea to provide it again, just in case.

However, I could be wrong and look forward to seeing other answers since I will have to do this soon myself.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:44 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Errrr, good question. I did the same thing when my OH and I married. (I always have to flip the thing to the back page cuz the silly check-in agent looks at me strangely when the ticket and PP names don't match) I would say that the passport is now in her married name since you had it officially amended. As such, she should not need to send in the marriage cert again. However, as with all things gov't related, it probably ain't a bad idea to provide it again, just in case.

However, I could be wrong and look forward to seeing other answers since I will have to do this soon myself.
Been there, done that. We assumed the married name, as per the name change, was the name in which the passport was held. However, we did get multiple copies of the marriage certificate when we got married in the US, and simply enclosed a copy with the passport renewal just in case. The certificate was returned by London along with the new passport. Whether they needed it or not, who knows, but always easiest to err on the side of caution.

That would be my tip of day to others - get multiple copies of the marriage certificate as they'll come in very useful over time, especially the ability to send one off not knowing (or caring) if it gets returned.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so new passport has arrived, but the old one wasn't with it, nor was the marriage certificate that we enclosed. I can get another marriage cert easily enough from the courthouse, but the UK ILR visa in her old passport is more tricky.

We probably won't need the visa, but it would be nice to have it.

Does anyone think they will send the old passport back seperately?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok so new passport has arrived, but the old one wasn't with it, nor was the marriage certificate that we enclosed. I can get another marriage cert easily enough from the courthouse, but the UK ILR visa in her old passport is more tricky.

We probably won't need the visa, but it would be nice to have it.

Does anyone think they will send the old passport back seperately?
It will probably be sent in a separate mailing. When my new USC husband applied for his first US passport, they mailed the passport and the supporting documents in seperate envelopes, they arrived within a day or two of each other.

Rene
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It will probably be sent in a separate mailing. When my new USC husband applied for his first US passport, they mailed the passport and the supporting documents in seperate envelopes, they arrived within a day or two of each other.

Rene
I agree. The old passport is always sent back under separate cover.
Don't know what will happen with the evidence.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all.

At least the missus can now travel without having to explain to airport staff how to do thier own job (to look for name changes in the back of the passport when the name on the ticket doesn't match the passport)!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Old passport and marriage cert turned up today.