Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Passport Question

US Passport Question

Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of
Default US Passport Question

Hi guys,

Quick update before my question. I did my swearing in ceremony for citizenship on Feb 28. Everything went smoothly. I was hoping there would be a table to do passports but the only table there was for voter registration.

I'm about to apply for a US passport. When turning in documentation do I have turn in the original citizenship certification or can I use a color copy made at Kinkos?

I'm about to make an appointment with my local post office to get everything done and sent off and just wanted to know. Also if I need the original, will the post office make a copy or are they required to send the original document?

Thanks so much
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:28 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport Question

You need your original naturalization certificate. It goes with your application to the passport office and will be returned to you from there. Make a copy of it for your own records before you apply for the passport.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lansbury
You need your original naturalization certificate. It goes with your application to the passport office and will be returned to you from there. Make a copy of it for your own records before you apply for the passport.
Ok thanks ( I hate sending original documents but we do what we must ). I'm going to assume that my British passport is not needed right?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:42 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brigette
Ok thanks ( I hate sending original documents but we do what we must ). I'm going to assume that my British passport is not needed right?
No I didn't send my UK passport. I didn't use the post office but used a similar service at the County offices. They will check everything before it gets sent off and make sure it is correct. Mine went to the Seattle passport office and took 2 weeks.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lansbury
No I didn't send my UK passport. I didn't use the post office but used a similar service at the County offices. They will check everything before it gets sent off and make sure it is correct. Mine went to the Seattle passport office and took 2 weeks.
Ok thanks. Hopefully mine will take a short time as well. I will definitely ask them which passport office they are sending it to.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

I had to send my original certificate, which came back pretty quickly, no UK passport needed. All in all it only took a couple of weeks for my pretty new US passport to arrive!
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You can check processing times here if you haven't already, and once you submit the application, about a week later, you can start checking the status of your application as well.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ing-times.html
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Quick update before my question. I did my swearing in ceremony for citizenship on Feb 28. Everything went smoothly. I was hoping there would be a table to do passports but the only table there was for voter registration.
You have to go to a US passport acceptance facility. You can search here:

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

I'm about to apply for a US passport. When turning in documentation do I have turn in the original citizenship certification or can I use a color copy made at Kinkos?
You have to submit the original.

I'm about to make an appointment with my local post office to get everything done and sent off and just wanted to know. Also if I need the original, will the post office make a copy or are they required to send the original document?

Thanks so much
They will take the original from you and submit it with your application. Note that the citizenship cert can double up as photo ID in your case and you're supposed to submit a photocopy of whatever photo ID was used. So you could also take a photocopy of the citizenship cert with you as well as the original. Alternatively you can use a driving license as photo ID and submit a photocopy of that instead. But you can't get around the fact that the original citizenship cert will be submitted with your first-time application for a US passport. Passport renewals work differently.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Mar 11th 2014 at 1:29 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Correct - your British passport is not needed.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 2:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Processing times (according to the state department) are about 4-6 weeks, 2-3 for expedited service, at the moment.

I applied for mine on the 28th, It'll be interesting to see if it takes that long, or if it comes in quicker.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Processing times (according to the state department) are about 4-6 weeks, 2-3 for expedited service, at the moment.

I applied for mine on the 28th, It'll be interesting to see if it takes that long, or if it comes in quicker.
Mine took only about two weeks a year ago, as did Mrs P and little Miss P's passports at the end of last December even though the prediction was 4-6 weeks.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:03 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mine took only about two weeks a year ago, as did Mrs P and little Miss P's passports at the end of last December even though the prediction was 4-6 weeks.
When we got the kids' passports done at the weekend, the bloke at the post office said theirs should only take 3 weeks and we didn't get the expedited service.

The Dept of State has cashed my check, though. Didn't take three weeks for them to do that ...
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:22 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

When we got the kids' passports done at the weekend, the bloke at the post office said theirs should only take 3 weeks and we didn't get the expedited service.
Couple of weeks for mine.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Nutek
Couple of weeks for mine.
Well, we have fifteen weeks until we need them so I'm sure all will be well
Old Mar 11th 2014, 4:29 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Well, we have fifteen weeks until we need them so I'm sure all will be well
Not now that you've said it out loud.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.