British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Passport Question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-passport-question-828168/)

Brigette Mar 11th 2014 5:22 am

US Passport Question

Hi guys,

Quick update before my question. I did my swearing in ceremony for citizenship on Feb 28. Everything went smoothly. I was hoping there would be a table to do passports but the only table there was for voter registration.

I'm about to apply for a US passport. When turning in documentation do I have turn in the original citizenship certification or can I use a color copy made at Kinkos?

I'm about to make an appointment with my local post office to get everything done and sent off and just wanted to know. Also if I need the original, will the post office make a copy or are they required to send the original document?

Thanks so much :fingerscrossed:

lansbury Mar 11th 2014 5:28 am

Re: US Passport Question

You need your original naturalization certificate. It goes with your application to the passport office and will be returned to you from there. Make a copy of it for your own records before you apply for the passport.

Brigette Mar 11th 2014 5:37 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11167301)
You need your original naturalization certificate. It goes with your application to the passport office and will be returned to you from there. Make a copy of it for your own records before you apply for the passport.

Ok thanks ( I hate sending original documents but we do what we must :) ). I'm going to assume that my British passport is not needed right? :fingerscrossed:

lansbury Mar 11th 2014 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 11167306)
Ok thanks ( I hate sending original documents but we do what we must :) ). I'm going to assume that my British passport is not needed right? :fingerscrossed:

No I didn't send my UK passport. I didn't use the post office but used a similar service at the County offices. They will check everything before it gets sent off and make sure it is correct. Mine went to the Seattle passport office and took 2 weeks.

Brigette Mar 11th 2014 5:53 am

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 11167310)
No I didn't send my UK passport. I didn't use the post office but used a similar service at the County offices. They will check everything before it gets sent off and make sure it is correct. Mine went to the Seattle passport office and took 2 weeks.

Ok thanks. Hopefully mine will take a short time as well. I will definitely ask them which passport office they are sending it to.

paul32x Mar 11th 2014 7:02 am

I had to send my original certificate, which came back pretty quickly, no UK passport needed. All in all it only took a couple of weeks for my pretty new US passport to arrive!

scrubbedexpat091 Mar 11th 2014 12:11 pm

You can check processing times here if you haven't already, and once you submit the application, about a week later, you can start checking the status of your application as well.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ing-times.html

MarylandNed Mar 11th 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 11167295)
Hi guys,

Quick update before my question. I did my swearing in ceremony for citizenship on Feb 28. Everything went smoothly. I was hoping there would be a table to do passports but the only table there was for voter registration.

You have to go to a US passport acceptance facility. You can search here:

http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/

I'm about to apply for a US passport. When turning in documentation do I have turn in the original citizenship certification or can I use a color copy made at Kinkos?

You have to submit the original.

I'm about to make an appointment with my local post office to get everything done and sent off and just wanted to know. Also if I need the original, will the post office make a copy or are they required to send the original document?

Thanks so much :fingerscrossed:

They will take the original from you and submit it with your application. Note that the citizenship cert can double up as photo ID in your case and you're supposed to submit a photocopy of whatever photo ID was used. So you could also take a photocopy of the citizenship cert with you as well as the original. Alternatively you can use a driving license as photo ID and submit a photocopy of that instead. But you can't get around the fact that the original citizenship cert will be submitted with your first-time application for a US passport. Passport renewals work differently.

MarylandNed Mar 11th 2014 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 11167306)

Correct - your British passport is not needed.

SultanOfSwing Mar 11th 2014 2:48 pm

Processing times (according to the state department) are about 4-6 weeks, 2-3 for expedited service, at the moment.

I applied for mine on the 28th, It'll be interesting to see if it takes that long, or if it comes in quicker.

Pulaski Mar 11th 2014 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11167913)
Processing times (according to the state department) are about 4-6 weeks, 2-3 for expedited service, at the moment.

I applied for mine on the 28th, It'll be interesting to see if it takes that long, or if it comes in quicker.

Mine took only about two weeks a year ago, as did Mrs P and little Miss P's passports at the end of last December even though the prediction was 4-6 weeks.

SultanOfSwing Mar 11th 2014 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11168018)
Mine took only about two weeks a year ago, as did Mrs P and little Miss P's passports at the end of last December even though the prediction was 4-6 weeks.

When we got the kids' passports done at the weekend, the bloke at the post office said theirs should only take 3 weeks and we didn't get the expedited service.

The Dept of State has cashed my check, though. Didn't take three weeks for them to do that ... :D

Nutek Mar 11th 2014 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11168024)
When we got the kids' passports done at the weekend, the bloke at the post office said theirs should only take 3 weeks and we didn't get the expedited service.

:nod: Couple of weeks for mine.

SultanOfSwing Mar 11th 2014 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11168059)
:nod: Couple of weeks for mine.

Well, we have fifteen weeks until we need them so I'm sure all will be well :lol:

Nutek Mar 11th 2014 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11168068)
Well, we have fifteen weeks until we need them so I'm sure all will be well :lol:

Not now that you've said it out loud. :sneaky: