British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US passport/Certificate return times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-passport-certificate-return-times-925444/)

Steve_I Jun 2nd 2019 1:18 am

US passport/Certificate return times

So I had my oath ceremony April 29th and applied for a passport the same day. I received the passport last Tuesday (28th May) and I'm just waiting to get my naturalization certificate back. I know they come back separately as it's illegal (apparently) to put two forms of US ID in the same mailing. Anyone remember how long it took to get the certificate back? I may be over worrying this, but I remember at the ceremony we were told it cost something like $555 to replace it if it goes missing! :eek: Hopefully the passport office uses some kind of special mailing, so that that doesn't happen.

Thanks guys!
American bloke :lol:

Noorah101 Jun 2nd 2019 9:50 am

Re: US passport/Certificate return times

My husband's came back within a few business days.

Rene

Rete Jun 2nd 2019 1:02 pm

Hubby's was the same as Rene's husbands. And no special type of mailing. Regular mail.

Steve_I Jun 2nd 2019 1:29 pm

Thanks ladies! Was that after they had received the passports?

Rete Jun 2nd 2019 1:30 pm

Yes, it was after the passport was received.

Steve_I Jun 2nd 2019 1:38 pm

Thank you! Maybe this week coming up then.... Mail is usually pretty good around here.

retzie Jun 2nd 2019 5:11 pm

Mine came back 5 days later. This was in March.

Steve_I Jun 4th 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks guys! Arrived normal mail yesterday...

Rete Jun 4th 2019 7:05 pm

There you go. Now you can bed those worries about identity theft, pull the cover over them and put them in the attic.

Steve_I Jun 4th 2019 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12693367)
There you go. Now you can bed those worries about identity theft, pull the cover over them and put them in the attic.

:lol: I wasn't particularly worried about identity theft, but I was worried about having to spend over 500 bucks if it went missing!

MidAtlantic Jun 4th 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_I (Post 12693368)
:lol: I wasn't particularly worried about identity theft, but I was worried about having to spend over 500 bucks if it went missing!

Does the certificate have any useful purpose after you have received your passport? I'm really not sure. I know mine is in a "safe place" but I don't know exactly where that safe place is right now! :unsure:

Steve_I Jun 4th 2019 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12693380)
Does the certificate have any useful purpose after you have received your passport? I'm really not sure. I know mine is in a "safe place" but I don't know exactly where that safe place is right now! :unsure:

Probably not! As you say, your passport is your official ID now. I'm probably just a bit OCD about all the paperwork we had to show to get here in the first place! :lol:

Rete Jun 4th 2019 7:40 pm

Hubby's is framed somewhere in the house. It was hung on the wall with the flag flown for him over Congress but when we moved we didn't put them up in the new place.

If we find it, great. If not, he made several copies and scanned it onto his computer and put it on a zip drive. Would never order a new one.

GeorginaUK Jun 11th 2019 9:43 pm

Hello, can I ask, did you apply for naturalisation after your 3 years in USA or do you know if you can apply slightly before the 3 years (as it takes a while for them to process the application anyway). My 3 years will be in November this year but I am wondering if I could apply in October?

Pulaski Jun 11th 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by GeorginaUK (Post 12696714)
Hello, can I ask, did you apply for naturalisation after your 3 years in USA or do you know if you can apply slightly before the 3 years (as it takes a while for them to process the application anyway). My 3 years will be in November this year but I am wondering if I could apply in October?

You can apply 90 days before (and not a single day earlier) the third anniversary of you acquiring PR status assuming that your PR status is based on marriage to a US citizen. If your PR status is for any other reason then you can apply 90 days before the fifth anniversary of your PR status.