Reload this Page >

US Passport Application & Child Support Arrears

US Passport Application & Child Support Arrears

Old Nov 20th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

TJCobbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US Passport Application & Child Support Arrears

Hi everyone.
I have a US Citizen friend, who wants to obtain a passport. He is in arrears with his Child Support. He believes that the arrears are over $5000 (going to check how much he is now in arrears), and thinks that due to this that he unable to obtain a passport.
Is there any truth in this? Does anyone know of any website that I can check?
I have tried to google to find the information, but I dont seem to be finding any information on it!

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 10:19 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport Application & Child Support Arrears

I typed passport child support and founds scads of information like this link

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/...p/passport.htm

The Passport Denial Program, which is part of the Federal Offset Program, is designed to help states enforce delinquent child support obligations. Under the program, noncustodial parents certified by a state as having arrearages exceeding $2,500 are submitted by the Federal Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE) to the Department of State (DoS), which denies them U.S. passports upon application or the use of a passport service. Noncustodial parents are not automatically removed from the Passport Denial Program even if their arrearages fall below the $2,500 threshold.
Old Nov 20th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

TJCobbs is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much for this info. I guess we have to wait until Monday, to see how much he has left in arrears!
Thank you once again!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TJCobbs
He is in arrears with his Child Support.
Is he in arrears with child support originating in the US?

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a side note that, depending on the amount of the arrears and the state that he is in, your friend may also end up having his driving license suspended ... (or it may already be suspended and he just doesn't know about it)
Old Nov 20th 2010, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
Just a side note that, depending on the amount of the arrears and the state that he is in, your friend may also end up having his driving license suspended ... (or it may already be suspended and he just doesn't know about it)
I know of someone in this situation, had lost DL, and was not able to get a passport to attend a wedding in Mexico.