British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Passport Application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-passport-application-727326/)

Longy Aug 3rd 2011 4:34 pm

US Passport Application

Hi

I have a bit of a problem and am not sure if I have any avenues to explore that I haven't thought of.

I Naturalized last month and sent off my passport application two weeks ago. I have a friend's wedding in England at the end of the month, and have flights booked for two weeks time. I have been checking for status updates for the passport online but nothing has appeared so I called up this morning and they say they do not have it. The check has not been cashed, so as far as they are concerned it has never arrived.

I called the post office where I applied and they say that it was bundled with others and sent to Philadelphia and arrived on the 22nd.

So where can I go from here? The passport office think it must have been lost in the mail. They advised me to go to DC and try and apply for it there, but I don't have my Naturalization certificate as that went with the application.

As far as I can see it takes months to get a replacement Naturalization certificate so that doesn't seem to help me with this trip.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ian-mstm Aug 3rd 2011 5:21 pm

Re: US Passport Application

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 9535778)
I Naturalized last month and sent off my passport application two weeks ago. I have a friend's wedding in England at the end of the month, and have flights booked for two weeks time.

It took me about 9 weeks to get my US passport after naturalizing. You can certainly travel to the England using your UK passport, but you'll be in for a rough time when you try to enter the US. Worst case scenario, you'll get a fine for entering the US without a US passport - and they'll probably have to keep you there for a while so they can verify your status.

Remember, you are a USC and have the right of entry to the US... but without a US passport they'll need to verify it first.

Ian

Longy Aug 3rd 2011 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9535847)
It took me about 9 weeks to get my US passport after naturalizing. You can certainly travel to the England using your UK passport, but you'll be in for a rough time when you try to enter the US. Worst case scenario, you'll get a fine for entering the US without a US passport - and they'll probably have to keep you there for a while so they can verify your status.

Remember, you are a USC and have the right of entry to the US... but without a US passport they'll need to verify it first.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I assume this wasn't recent as I have not seen anything to suggest that getting a first passport will take a long time. The expedited timeline is 2-3 weeks. Also I assume they took your check pretty early in the process. That's the thing if I knew it was being processed and would take a long time I could deal with it - at least I would know where I stand, but to have someone at the state department tell me it is probably lost in the mail is a bit concerning.

Anyway I went to the post office to see if they had anything they could give me to show it had been delivered. The guy there said they definitely got it so to hold on for another week. He reckons they are probably backlogged, but if I have not seen any movement by next week to come back and he can speak to them - he said as the guidelines are 2-3 weeks to process the expedited service they won't listen to queries until 3 weeks are done. If this is the case I don't understand why the passport information line wouldn't just say there is a chance they are backlogged and to wait.

I am just hoping that something happens in the next few days. I guess I can't really do anything but wait.

IanR Aug 4th 2011 12:15 am

It's probably in the system, but it takes time.
Telephone the agency and explain your need to travel and they might come up with a one off solution for you. You MUST do this b4 attempting to travel.

celticgrid Aug 4th 2011 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 9536114)
Thanks Ian. I assume this wasn't recent as I have not seen anything to suggest that getting a first passport will take a long time. The expedited timeline is 2-3 weeks. Also I assume they took your check pretty early in the process. That's the thing if I knew it was being processed and would take a long time I could deal with it - at least I would know where I stand, but to have someone at the state department tell me it is probably lost in the mail is a bit concerning.

Anyway I went to the post office to see if they had anything they could give me to show it had been delivered. The guy there said they definitely got it so to hold on for another week. He reckons they are probably backlogged, but if I have not seen any movement by next week to come back and he can speak to them - he said as the guidelines are 2-3 weeks to process the expedited service they won't listen to queries until 3 weeks are done. If this is the case I don't understand why the passport information line wouldn't just say there is a chance they are backlogged and to wait.

I am just hoping that something happens in the next few days. I guess I can't really do anything but wait.

Just FYI and only what I was told today...

Expect an expedited application to be 4-6 weeks.

I handed over my first time application today and that was what the Post Office person told me. Might be true, might be utter twaddle - I really don't have any option but to send it in and wait, but luckily, right now, I have no urgent need to travel. Anyway, that was the message...

Good luck.

Longy Aug 4th 2011 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by celticgrid (Post 9537822)

I handed over my first time application today and that was what the Post Office person told me. Might be true, might be utter twaddle - I really don't have any option but to send it in and wait, but luckily, right now, I have no urgent need to travel. Anyway, that was the message...

Good luck.

If someone told me that when I called them that would be fine in that at least I would know the situation. But I have seen timelines on other sites with people saying they are getting their passport within 2-3 weeks. 4-6 weeks is the non-expedited guideline.

The concern I have is the first thing they do when they get the application is apparently to cash the check. At least if that happened I would know they had it, but it hasn't been cashed yet. I have called the information line twice and both of the people I spoke to said the application was probably "lost in the mail".

The post office have said they will try and contact them again once the 3 weeks is up, but that wastes another week.

lansbury Aug 4th 2011 5:59 pm

Unless there has been a dramatic influx of applications for US passports that seems a long time. December 2009 mine took 7 days.

celticgrid Aug 4th 2011 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 9537998)
Unless there has been a dramatic influx of applications for US passports that seems a long time. December 2009 mine took 7 days.

As I said, might be utter rubbish. The only way to tell is to wait. I can do that.

Longy Aug 10th 2011 1:32 pm

It looks like this will end well.

I went to the post office yesterday and called the passport office with the woman who posted off the application and we went through all the delivery information. They still couldn't come up with anything and had no solution for me apart from to hope it turns up.

I had given up at this point and was thinking about calling the airline to ask if I could change the flights, but thought it may be worth sending a message to one of the state senators.

About an hour after doing this (not convinced its related), I got a call from the passport agency saying they had my application. The woman said she was calling because they had torn my naturalization certificate at the bottom, and they would reimburse the cost to get it fixed. I mentioned that it was sent off almost 3 weeks previously expedited and I need it next week. She said they should be able to get the passport to me in time.

I just spoke to the senator's office and I was told by them they have printed the book and are sending it out today! Still no tracking information available and the check has not been taken.

So I am breathing a little easier right now.

S Folinsky Aug 11th 2011 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Longy (Post 9550376)
It looks like this will end well.

I went to the post office yesterday and called the passport office with the woman who posted off the application and we went through all the delivery information. They still couldn't come up with anything and had no solution for me apart from to hope it turns up.

I had given up at this point and was thinking about calling the airline to ask if I could change the flights, but thought it may be worth sending a message to one of the state senators.

About an hour after doing this (not convinced its related), I got a call from the passport agency saying they had my application. The woman said she was calling because they had torn my naturalization certificate at the bottom, and they would reimburse the cost to get it fixed. I mentioned that it was sent off almost 3 weeks previously expedited and I need it next week. She said they should be able to get the passport to me in time.

I just spoke to the senator's office and I was told by them they have printed the book and are sending it out today! Still no tracking information available and the check has not been taken.

So I am breathing a little easier right now.

I'm glad to hear that it worked out. That said, I am curious that you had a state legislator do the inquiry. Which state was this?

fatbrit Aug 11th 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by S Folinsky (Post 9552736)
I'm glad to hear that it worked out. That said, I am curious that you had a state legislator do the inquiry. Which state was this?

Pedantic!

Everyone else knows what the OP means.

hobbes79 Aug 11th 2011 2:22 pm

Good luck.

Same message I got when I applied for mine on Saturday. I have a business trip to Quebec scheduled for Sept 13th, so it's looking close. However, wouldn't be too bothered if I miss it and I'd have a very good excuse :)

celticgrid Aug 17th 2011 11:53 am

Just to update on earlier posts:

The processing times here state:

As of ( Tuesday August 16, 2011 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).
A request for a new passport, sending in a naturalization certificate, by expedited service but NOT paying for the overnight delivery took 10 days door-to-door. Well under the official statement and massively within the 'knowledgeable' Post Office person's statement.

Of course, timings will be different tomorrow...