Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US not on the list of 12 - sigh

US not on the list of 12 - sigh

Old May 7th 2021, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

priceycheese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US not on the list of 12 - sigh

Grant Schapps did his update in the last hour, and listed 12 countries on the green list (requiring no quarantine on arrival in UK). The US seems to be missing from that list, sigh. It doesn't seem like being fully vaccinated gets you a pass.

Who else is waiting for no quarantine before booking travel back to the UK?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57026936

Last edited by priceycheese; May 7th 2021 at 4:47 pm.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US not on the list of 12 - sigh

All of us on various non-immigrant visas still can't travel - too high a risk that you can't get a NIE and get stuck back in the UK. Hopefully at some point soon (maybe G7) UK and US will update to no restrictions either way. Considering the level of vaccination of both.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:42 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by priceycheese
Grant Schapps did his update in the last hour, and listed 12 countries on the green list (requiring no quarantine on arrival in UK). The US seems to be missing from that list, sigh. It doesn't seem like being fully vaccinated gets you a pass.

by missing do you mean the numbers don’t support it being added, or you mean it’s a typo?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html
Old May 7th 2021, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm torn on this. I'm thinking about going back now, and enduring the testing/quarantining (as staying with family).... flights are cheaper now than later in summer, and it is probably still pretty quiet on the flight and at airports.... On the other hand, I suspect US will make it to green list sometime later this summer, and that would save both the quarantine and possibly the post-arrival tests (and their associated costs). There was even talk of a vaccine passport being trialed between UK and US.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
by missing do you mean the numbers don’t support it being added, or you mean it’s a typo?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html

Missing as it's just not on the list, period, whatever the reason.
Old May 7th 2021, 5:51 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure. As a dual national I could travel, but would have to quarantine and take a billion expensive covid tests over the course of just a couple of weeks. I really want to see my son. May wait for the next announcement before deciding. They are supposed to be coming every three weeks now, starting next week.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Also waiting, was hoping that USA would make the list, mostly because there were rumours it might, but most of that was been fueled by the airlines putting pressure on the UK and USA to agree to open up. The covid positive rates in the US are still high, compared to the UK, so can see from the data why the USA didn't make the list yet. We shall all have to wait another three weeks for the next update. I had rolled the dice and have flights booked for late July, worse case I just change them as there is no fee for changes now, and it soon point I will actually get to go! I doing my bit to help BA with a loan, I'm ok with that for now!
Old May 7th 2021, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

The list *seems* to be driven by current case loads as opposed to vaccination level.

Current case loads per 100,000:
  • Portugal: 3
  • Israel: <1
  • Singapore: <1
  • Australia: <1
  • New Zealand: <1
  • Brunei: <1
  • Iceland: 1
  • Gibraltar: 1
  • Falkland Islands: 0
  • Faroe Islands: 1
  • South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands: 0
  • St Helena, Tristan de Cunha, Ascension Island: 0
(The UK is 3 and US is 14.)

However, it's still fuzzy what countries make it onto the list and why. Many countries with 3 per 100,000 case counts (Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand, Albania, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iceland, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco) did not make it. Politics?

A legit question is being raised though as to why the UK government does not mirror CDC guidelines when it comes to vaccinated passengers and quarantine. But that's a separate discussion altogether.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

It's more the Presidential Proclamation that's the issue, rather than any quarantine on arrival.

I can deal with self-quarantining with family, but I cannot justify the additional time and expense involved in spending 14 days in a third country before returning to the UK, nor am I willing to gamble on obtaining an NIE from the US Embassy.

I'll be holding off until the summer, as hopefully things will be different by then.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
It's more the Presidential Proclamation that's the issue, rather than any quarantine on arrival.
Agree, that is the other complication for many, feel fortunate that don't have that problem as a dual citizen and am not restricted on entry into the USA. Fingers crossed for later in the summer.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Also waiting, was hoping that USA would make the list, mostly because there were rumours it might, but most of that was been fueled by the airlines putting pressure on the UK and USA to agree to open up. The covid positive rates in the US are still high, compared to the UK, so can see from the data why the USA didn't make the list yet. We shall all have to wait another three weeks for the next update. I had rolled the dice and have flights booked for late July, worse case I just change them as there is no fee for changes now, and it soon point I will actually get to go! I doing my bit to help BA with a loan, I'm ok with that for now!
The problem with the US is that vaccination rates are very uneven between states. So you're likely to see community spread in parts of the US for some time to come and that's likely to keep the overall positive rate higher than what I presume the UK threshold for "greenlighting" is.
Old May 7th 2021, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
The list *seems* to be driven by current case loads as opposed to vaccination level.

However, it's still fuzzy what countries make it onto the list and why. Many countries with 3 per 100,000 case counts (Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand, Albania, Pakistan, Indonesia, Iceland, Egypt, Kenya, Morocco) did not make it. Politics?

Well, they're mostly (a) current British overseas territories (b) current commonwealth countries or (c) former colonies. Portugal has always been a close ally of Britain back to 18th century. Faroe Islands is geographically proximate. Iceland...not sure. I don't see that many of these are prime UK tourist destinations. Are people who were hoping to go to Benidorm now rebooking for the South Sandwich Islands?
Old May 7th 2021, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The problem with the US is that vaccination rates are very uneven between states. So you're likely to see community spread in parts of the US for some time to come and that's likely to keep the overall positive rate higher than what I presume the UK threshold for "greenlighting" is.
Yes, this is why I think it might be a better hope that US and UK do a vaccine passport rather than that UK puts US on greenlist. Vaccine passport might even be what is necessary to open up US-UK air bridge, given that uneven spread across US.
Old May 7th 2021, 7:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A legit question is being raised though as to why the UK government does not mirror CDC guidelines when it comes to vaccinated passengers and quarantine. But that's a separate discussion altogether.
The US can have our spot.
Very nice of him to put Aus on the list, but as we have no chance in the next few years of actually being allowed to leave here, its a bit like salt in the wound.
Old May 7th 2021, 8:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Iceland is on the list. My read on the list you posted would be more about if you trust their systems of control or monitoring and their own restrictions and policies.

Grant Shapps is a politician so you could say everything he does is politics. I would say adding the US before the stats supported it would be more political than not adding countries for which there is little “political” benefit in adding them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.