Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Move; What Did you Miss?

US Move; What Did you Miss?

Old Nov 4th 2012, 6:44 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Move; What Did you Miss?

@ about 2.40

Just tea. Regular tea.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 7:02 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Lipton sucks.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Tea_and_biccies is an unknown quantity at this point

Only moved to US in September, but just spent 2 weeks in the UK (around one week longer than anticipated due to Sandy). First night was curry, as was the fourth. Slotted in several pub meals, a chinese takeaway, a lamb shish kebab and fish and chips.

I drank more tea than I had ever drank before I left the UK, and was also caught eating Branston pickle out of the jar with a spoon.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tea_and_biccies
was also caught eating Branston pickle out of the jar with a spoon.

somehow a pack of jaffa cakes always seems to sneak into my suitcase when I'm in the UK...
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I've been lucky enough to find a lot of the food items I miss in the local-ish UK food stores, plus got a few more a couple weeks ago on a trip to see my best mate in Hong Kong - the joys of an old colony!

I've always been a bit solitary, so I don't really miss that many people from the UK, but the option to go out is missing as, after 15 months, I still haven't met anyone outside Gininda's family and friends - I ought to look into that at some point...

I do miss my stroll around the town centre on a Saturday morning though, and some magazines and the like that are ungodly expensive over here. My uncle is a retired master baker, so I definitely miss his bread!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:56 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Easy access to exciting mountain landscapes days out, the Snowdon Horseshoe, Jacks Rake and Aonach Eagach, all give an easy mountaineering experience, I find that to get similar experience in Washington state requires much more time.

Washington also has the wrong sort of snow. It has let me take up snowshoeing, but crampon and ice axe are rarely needed.

Access to world class museums and art exhibitions. London is accessible from everywhere in England, in the states you have a handful of cities with anywhere near a comparable selection in an area bigger than Europe. Britain's regional museums and galleries are also much better, even Leicester has a great collection of German Expressionism.

Last edited by kimilseung; Nov 8th 2012 at 7:03 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Brit-Tex is an unknown quantity at this point

Miss my welsh hills and being able to walk to the pub and back after a social, miss the local chipper, but love the fact that specs and a couple if independently owned stores in Texas have a wide variety of British foods an other things on sale but its expensive but already have my girlfriend hooked on malteasers.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

gingenie is an unknown quantity at this point

In NYC, definitely regular priced supermarkets. If you don't want to spend your entire salary on an artisanal hipster loaf, then there's only really Trader Joe's - which is great but really just like a badly stocked Tesco with longer lines! And because it's NYC, I can't do a weekly shop and cart in all home in the car. This is why everybody eats out all the time.
I also miss a washing machine. My apartment has no laundry in the building.
With all the walking and carting laundry though, I'm definitely much fitter!
Finally - no matter what anyone says, there's no decent chippy here in the city.
I know, I know, first world problems...
Old Nov 12th 2012, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Lots I miss! Things I can think of off the top of my head:

Sausages
Sausage rolls
Pasties
Galaxy chocolate
Soppy christmas ads (watched X factor UK the other day and the ads were awesome)
Walking places
My washing machine (the one here seems to somehow create fluff, it baffles me)
UK TV (I used to think daytime tv was bad, until I got here!)
Cold autumns (in fact, quite honestly UK weather in general - yes the summers can be a bit rubbish, but I'd rather that than be hot all the time, I've discovered)
Supermarkets which don't smell really strong (this might just be because i'm pregnant, but the supermarkets here stink!)

Anyway, that's turned slightly rant-like so I'd best stop! Going home for Xmas in 4 weeks so i'll be getting my UK food fix then!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

marknir is an unknown quantity at this point

I still miss proper Bacon, steak sausages or any real sausages for that matter