Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Move; What Did you Miss?

US Move; What Did you Miss?

Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default US Move; What Did you Miss?

On your move to the USA.....

What did you find you missed/found difficult to get used to etc? Between cultures?

Perhaps most interested in the less obvious bits that you weren't expecting.

For USC's who have had their UKC spouses come over to live with them, what did you find challenging?

I'm quite interested generally but as I'm sure this to some extent will vary state to state, I am (as always) most interested in responses from those in the West, particularly Colorado.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 1:28 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Move; What Did you Miss?

Honestly, I really miss being able to walk places. It was part of a day-to-day routine in the UK but simply isn't possible for the most part here in Houston.

I also miss our grocery stores. Didn't really appreciate the difference between the UK and US stores before I lived here. It's not that they're bad, there are some decent stores like whole foods, it's just that the ingredients they stock are different from that which I'd like. Lamb for example is hard to find and expensive. I'm learning to adapt though and my cooking has changed slightly to suit.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future100weight has a brilliant future

I miss bread. The bread here is different to what we used to get back in the UK. And hot cross buns. I'd give my eye teeth for a couple of 12packs!

And I miss the ability to pop across the channel to France.

CWT
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mama Drama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 100weight
I miss bread. The bread here is different to what we used to get back in the UK. And hot cross buns. I'd give my eye teeth for a couple of 12packs!

And I miss the ability to pop across the channel to France.

CWT
looooooool Ditto, I'd pay a fortune if there was an option to have a bag of Hovis or Kingsmill, better still for a Greggs Pasty Mmmmmm (My husband doesnt understand why no bread I have tried here so far can compete)
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Decent Indian restaurants. There are some but few and far between, and expensive. Found a gem of one in South Lake Tahoe Monday. Other than that been here almost 6 years and don't really think about the UK much in terms of what was there that isn't here.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Flapjacks.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:44 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Honestly, I really miss being able to walk places. It was part of a day-to-day routine in the UK but simply isn't possible for the most part here in Houston.

I also miss our grocery stores. Didn't really appreciate the difference between the UK and US stores before I lived here. It's not that they're bad, there are some decent stores like whole foods, it's just that the ingredients they stock are different from that which I'd like. Lamb for example is hard to find and expensive. I'm learning to adapt though and my cooking has changed slightly to suit.
Have you tried Phonecia (to the OP - sorry it's off topic)
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Have you tried Phonecia (to the OP - sorry it's off topic)
No problem at all. I have heard good Indian is hard to come accross in the USA.

However, since I'm quite a big fan of Mexican then I'm probably getting a decent trade-off.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

HighCountry will become famous soon enoughHighCountry will become famous soon enough

10 years in, there isn't much that I miss anymore. I suppose the one thing you can't work around is the lack of shared experiences. Your history is foreign to the natives and vice versa.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Toilets that are at a proper height. Why do they make them that bit lower here. You can buy higher ones, we have, they are called AARP toilets.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

I miss not having to unblock the loo every few weeks.

Apparently here they use a 3 inch pipe whereas back home in UK it's a 4 inch pipe. Doing the maths that's almost 100% more capacity in the UK pipe...

Oh, also Sunday Roast, and lamb. And pasties. And greenery (we live in AZ!). And the walking around - I really do appreciate small town centres where you can walk from shop to shop.

Balanced news programmes, and the local free papers.

Actually, there are many things I miss, but not terribly. I had to stop and think. If I had to name 2 it's the greenery & the roast dinner.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Humour, sense of belonging, walkability, history, news, cryptic crosswords, cider, crisps with flavour, pickled onions, simple healthcare, trains, town centres, greenery, temperate climate, lack of earthquakes.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:38 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I miss not having to unblock the loo every few weeks.

Apparently here they use a 3 inch pipe whereas back home in UK it's a 4 inch pipe. Doing the maths that's almost 100% more capacity in the UK pipe...

Oh, also Sunday Roast, and lamb. And pasties. And greenery (we live in AZ!). And the walking around - I really do appreciate small town centres where you can walk from shop to shop.

Balanced news programmes, and the local free papers.

Actually, there are many things I miss, but not terribly. I had to stop and think. If I had to name 2 it's the greenery & the roast dinner.
Lamb's harder to find, but I've started the Sunday Roast tradition in our house. Wife is a massive fan of Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding now. We have a roast every Sunday, without fail. It's such a small thing but honestly it's amazing how good it makes me feel.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Lamb's harder to find, but I've started the Sunday Roast tradition in our house. Wife is a massive fan of Roast Beef and Yorkshire pudding now. We have a roast every Sunday, without fail. It's such a small thing but honestly it's amazing how good it makes me feel.
You can usually find lamb at Costco...and very nice it is too.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I miss being able to walk places. When I was back in Elgin I could walk to the library, asda, tesco, doctors, dentists, leisure center!! etc I didn't need a car. I miss the healthcare(don't have insurance here). I miss pea pods!!haven't found them here in Mississippi and I miss the flavoured crisps. I miss the old houses and buildings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.