Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US mortgage woes...

US mortgage woes...

Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US mortgage woes...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Until I started having to fund pocket money for little Miss P (partially from Mrs P and me, and partially as paying agent for Mrs P senior, who deposits GBP into my UK account and I deliver in USD )
Do you eat the exchange rate fluctuations or do you use it as an opportunity to educate the next generation about market economics?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 1:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Do you eat the exchange rate fluctuations or do you use it as an opportunity to educate the next generation about market economics?
The latter. Little Miss P gets the USD equivalent of the GBP credit to my account.

I would point out that that is what my mother told me to do, .... though the hawala scheme using my UK account was my suggestion. My mother said she wanted to send money to little Miss P, and had asked her bank about the cost of sending £15.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 4:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

We also had the added hassle of dealing with French banks in May. They were closed practically the whole month.

Just a day before one of the closing dates the bank sent us another preliminary closing cost schedule which was $10k more than the previous one. It sent me into a tailspin since we were short of about $2k in our bank account, so we went about the laborious process of getting the french bank to send more money to exchange company, bank holidays meant that it took about a week to get here and then of course we had to document again where the money had come from. Saying "the same as the rest of the bloody money" didn't seem to work.

You'll get there.
Good luck
Old Jul 4th 2016, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

colemvaughn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses. We did get there, in the end! the Title company was the final screw up- they'd had our Power of Attorney documents for 6 weeks but failed to actually look at them, so decided on the day that they wouldn't accept the notarized documents we sent. The company told us we had to get our documents notarized by the embassy! We argued this, as it was clearly their mistake for having the docs for such a long time, and not actually checking them * they'd sent an email telling me they were 'perfect'. Anyway, got them done by another solicitor and had the house by end of play last Monday. Indianapolis, here we come...eventually!
Old Jul 5th 2016, 2:21 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colemvaughn
Thanks for all your responses. We did get there, in the end! the Title company was the final screw up- they'd had our Power of Attorney documents for 6 weeks but failed to actually look at them, so decided on the day that they wouldn't accept the notarized documents we sent. The company told us we had to get our documents notarized by the embassy! We argued this, as it was clearly their mistake for having the docs for such a long time, and not actually checking them * they'd sent an email telling me they were 'perfect'. Anyway, got them done by another solicitor and had the house by end of play last Monday. Indianapolis, here we come...eventually!
That's a relief! Immigrating and buying a house are jut about the most stressful things you can do; doing them at the same time is for brave folks only
Old Jul 5th 2016, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colemvaughn
Anyone try to get a mortgage before they got to the States? We have, and the paper trail is forensic. Is this normal?
The purchase of our US house should have completed last week, and it has been delayed with the mortgage company wanting more & more information daily (after supplying a significant amount of detailed financial info over the past 6 weeks).
Hoping someone can tell me, 'It's crazy, but it will be alright...'!
'it is crazy, but it will be all alright'

We have gone through the mortgage recently... we closed on our new house 6/27. We bank (savings and checking) with the same bank we applied for our mortgage with, we had fully paid off our previous mortgage (never late) with them, both my hubby and I have excellent credit ratings/fico scores, I have been with the same (US) employer for 12 years and my hubby with his for about 23 years. We were approved for $60,000 more than we needed and we still had to jump through hoops with the bank to close the deal... I feel sorry for people who border line with finances/credit etc... I can only imagine what they go through!!!