Reload this Page >

US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:29 pm
axc
Just Joined

axc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

Does anyone know if it is necessary to declare UK mortgages to the US mortgage lender? One broker told me no, another told me yes.

I have no debts and an excellent credit score here but have not been here long enough to be able to provide 2 years of tax returns.
My mortgage broker has declared my UK mortgages to the US lender (I have several rental properties) and they have checked them back to 2003 to prove I have never been late or missed a payment.

I am being refused a mortgage on the grounds that I have enormous debts in the UK, but they will not take UK income into account (which is way way more than the debt payments). They will not accept any non-US documents, so won't accept bank statements, tax returns etc.

Has anyone faced something similar?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

We faced something similar with Wells Fargo when we applied for a US mortgage. We were still living in the UK at the time. They took into account our UK debts and outgoings, but would not consider my salary as I didn't have a SSN.

The solution was to show my UK income covered all the UK outgoings with money to spare, and as they refused to take into account my UK income they should also disregard UK liabilities. My wife (USC) had an income sufficient to meet the requirements for the US mortgage. We didn't have a problem with them accepting UK documents in fact they were the ones who ask to see them. They did agree to grant the mortgage on her income and US outgoings and not take into consideration anything from the UK.

However my wife did have a good US credit history of many years standing. You being here only 2 years will be a problem in itself I would expect. This was in 2006 when getting a mortgage was easier than it is now.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 21st 2013 at 3:53 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
Does anyone know if it is necessary to declare UK mortgages to the US mortgage lender? One broker told me no, another told me yes.

I have no debts and an excellent credit score here but have not been here long enough to be able to provide 2 years of tax returns.
My mortgage broker has declared my UK mortgages to the US lender (I have several rental properties) and they have checked them back to 2003 to prove I have never been late or missed a payment.

I am being refused a mortgage on the grounds that I have enormous debts in the UK, but they will not take UK income into account (which is way way more than the debt payments). They will not accept any non-US documents, so won't accept bank statements, tax returns etc.

Has anyone faced something similar?
Many lenders are currently very leery of rental properties and worry that you may lose your tenants, the tenants stop making rental payments, or that the documents are not 100% accurate and don't have a way to check. Also lenders worry if they are variable rate mortgages. However your broker should be able to find a lender that will accept your documentation as valid as long as you have a reasonable down payment on a primary residence.

Does your documentation also indicate whether you have tenants all the time and they pay on time?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
This was in 2006 when getting a mortgage was easier than it is now.
Originally Posted by Michael
Many lenders are currently very leery...
Definitely worth pointing out that lenders in general are much more stringent on checking sources of income and debt when underwriting mortgages these days. They want to know where that downpayment has come from (better not be another loan or credit card) they want to know about every penny of your income. Everything must now be documented.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:00 pm
axc
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, ours is Wells Fargo too. And I have 40% to put down as a deposit.

They are happy with my current credit rating and happy with my loan amount to US income ratio.

I am happy for them to review them as I have excellent credit but their refusal to accept any UK income is crazy!

Two factors I see that made your deal easier:
- they are much more stringent on sticking within the "parameters" than they were in 2006
- your wife had more than 2 years here
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:01 pm
axc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Definitely worth pointing out that lenders in general are much more stringent on checking sources of income and debt when underwriting mortgages these days. They want to know where that downpayment has come from (better not be another loan or credit card) they want to know about every penny of your income. Everything must now be documented.
I can show them UK documentation but they won't accept anything other than US documentation - like a US IRS tax return.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
That is very true. If the lender is not it's own underwriter and uses outside underwriters, many of those won't accept foreign documentation. Also lenders sell mortgages to other companies or wall street and now unless all the documentation is 100% as expected, it is difficult to sell the mortgage. Wall street and the rating agencies now go over the mortgage documentation with a fine tooth comb before they will get a rating on the bonds in a CDO.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st 2013 at 4:08 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
I can show them UK documentation but they won't accept anything other than US documentation - like a US IRS tax return.
Can't you just not tell them?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:05 pm
axc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Michael
Many lenders are currently very leery of rental properties and worry that you may lose your tenants, the tenants stop making rental payments, or that the documents are not 100% accurate and don't have a way to check. Also lenders worry if they are variable rate mortgages. However your broker should be able to find a lender that will accept your documentation as valid as long as you have a reasonable down payment on a primary residence.

Does your documentation also indicate whether you have tenants all the time and they pay on time?
I have documentation from a thrid party managing agent, and UK tax returns back to 2003. But they won't accept anything that is not from a US agency.

Plus there is at least 50% equity in every property.

I am so very frustrated.
Time to try a new broker me thinks
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:06 pm
axc
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hotscot
Can't you just not tell them?
I guess that's my real question. Did he need to tell them in the first place?

And if not, how does the fact that he already has affect me going to another lender.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It also helps if you are actually sitting in an office with a person with a name rather than dealing with a call center in a different city/state talking to a different person each time. I don't know what your situation is but I know from experience it is much easier to call "Bob" locally than call some 800 number.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by axc
I guess that's my real question. Did he need to tell them in the first place?

And if not, how does the fact that he already has affect me going to another lender.
Worldwide income and debts are supposed to be reported and should be reported on his US tax returns. When the lender reviews his tax returns and it doesn't match with his financial statement, that would likely be automatic denial which may filter to the other lenders.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
Thanks for the reply, ours is Wells Fargo too. And I have 40% to put down as a deposit.

They are happy with my current credit rating and happy with my loan amount to US income ratio.

I am happy for them to review them as I have excellent credit but their refusal to accept any UK income is crazy!
I see you are using a broker. We dealt with Wells Fargo direct. Did it all through their online mortgage service. The direct approach where you talk to them might help. At least we were talking to the guy who was dealing with our mortgage and the underwriter, not relying on a third party to convey the information.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You may have better luck with regional banks or credit unions since some of those actually hold their own mortgages as assets instead of selling them.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem with a broker but a credit union was a different proposition altogether, far less hassle and with their own underwriters and unlikely to sell the mortgage on, you will have more luck I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.