Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

Old Feb 21st 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US mortgage denied because of UK mortgages

Originally Posted by captainsensible
I had the same problem with a broker but a credit union was a different proposition altogether, far less hassle and with their own underwriters and unlikely to sell the mortgage on, you will have more luck I think.
Also mortgage brokers will only work with lenders that are willing to pay for the mortgage brokers services. Many credit unions and regional banks don't trust mortgage brokers and/or don't want to pay their fee so mortgage brokers won't work with those lenders.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Also mortgage brokers will only work with lenders that are willing to pay for the mortgage brokers services. Many credit unions and regional banks don't trust mortgage brokers and/or don't want to pay their fee so mortgage brokers won't work with those lenders.
Yes, my experience too.

In all my years in USA I have bought (jointly with then spouse) five houses and several refinances.
Every time we approached a lender directly we had a good experience. Every time we used a mortgage broker we had a bad experience, needlessly huge amounts of documentation, suddenly worsened terms at the last minute, junk fees at the last minute, plain refusals not replicated elsewhere, damaged credit through too many enquiries, and most of all deceptive interest rates.

My advice, avoid loan brokers like the plague, deal only with principals.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 8:22 pm
axc
Just Joined

axc is an unknown quantity at this point

Great information everyone. I don't know anything about credit unions so I hadn't thought of that.

Just for info: I spoke with an ex-Wells Fargo underwriter and he said that as long as I had 2 months US pay stubs and UK tax returns then that should be enough. I think that perhaps my underwriter or broker is getting confused!!!!

Thank you
Andrea
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
I can show them UK documentation but they won't accept anything other than US documentation - like a US IRS tax return.
So hurry up and file your 2012 taxes, declaring your UK rental income, then file a copy of that with your mortgage application. .... That should make them happy, no?
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
Great information everyone. I don't know anything about credit unions so I hadn't thought of that.

Just for info: I spoke with an ex-Wells Fargo underwriter and he said that as long as I had 2 months US pay stubs and UK tax returns then that should be enough. I think that perhaps my underwriter or broker is getting confused!!!! ...
I found Wells Fargo to be very helpful and accommodating when I purchased a home last summer, under my own rather unusual set of circumstances, but damn! did they ask a lot of questions!

Wells Fargo originated one third of US mortgages last year, and in some months as much as 40%! So I can't help but think that if you can't get Wells Fargo to lend to you to buy a home, you are going to have difficulty anywhere.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 21st 2013 at 10:23 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:36 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axc
I can show them UK documentation but they won't accept anything other than US documentation - like a US IRS tax return.
You're in Katy - I can suggest a broker who can get you as good a deal as Wells Fargo. I've just gone through the process of getting pre-qualified with both. One has been sorted for over a month. The other still hasn't managed to do that. I'm paid in the UK. You can guess which has not managed, and I've banked with them for over two years.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I found Wells Fargo to be very helpful and accommodating when I purchased a home last summer, under my own rather unusual set of circumstances, but damn! did they ask a lot of questions!

Wells Fargo originated one third of US mortgages last year, and in some months as much as 40%! So I can't help but think that if you can't get Wells Fargo to lend to you to buy a home, you are going to have difficulty anywhere.
I suspect Wells Fargo will only offer loans that follow Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac regulations which are now very strict. If Wells Fargo can't sell the mortgages elsewhere, they will always be able to sell them to Fannie Mae/Freddy Mac at any time.

Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and Ginnie Mae, the three major Government Enterprises created to control the U.S. housing market, issued 99.3 percent of all mortgage backed securities (MBS) in 2012.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/federa...rticle/2522042

So it appears that most of the banks are selling their mortgages to the GSE's and the GSE's are bundling them and selling them to investors. Nobody trusts MBS's acquired and bundled by wall street anymore. Although all mortgages are not bundled into MBS's, I suspect that the vast majority are.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 21st 2013 at 10:56 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Sir Charles
Last time I checked a mortgage is a debt
Check again .... A mortgage is actually the provision of security for the repayment of a debt.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

We've just closed on buying a house in the US, and we had not been here long enough to provide two years worth of W-2s. The bank we used (Prospect Financial) has experience of providing loans to ex-pats and other non-standard borrowers, and accepted our P-60s/P-45s for evidence of income from the UK for the tax year before we moved over.

When we met with our loan officers they said that they'd dealt with more complex ex-pat cases than ours and were generally pretty good at handling non-US documentation. We had sold our property in the UK shortly after moving so didn't have that complication, so I can't speak as to how they'd deal with that.

I don't know if they operate in TX but as they have offices in the mid-West and CA as well as NY, I think they are probably nationwide. PM me if you'd like the contact details of the people I dealt with here in NYS. if nothing else I'm sure they'd be able to put you in touch with their colleagues who cover TX if they do operate there.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

pennieanddarryl is an unknown quantity at this point

we had exactly the same problem and you will find it very hard broker or not to get around this. We had 65% to put down but in the same position with a salary still coming in from the uk and tax returns for a year. There is a solotion hard money lending a lot of old guys are doing it yes you pay 2-4% above base rate but at least your on the ladder and in two years you have a credit score for the bank tax returns and you have been living where you want to be. We used a British guy in the US who put us in contact with an investor we are just about to take a bank mortgage out now as our two years are up, but we had to move fast as the house we wanted was a shortsale on the market for $750 down from $1.2 it took us 9 months of worry but soooo worth it market value is now just over $1 mil and a house to die for if you need contact details PM me
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by pennieanddarryl
we had exactly the same problem .....
A little more punctuation would be nice..... then we might have at least half an idea what you're talking about.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:53 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The problem here is that the term a Wells Fargo mortgage is not as singular as it sounds. If you go to the bank and see the happy, smiling mortgage officer, she'll have a dozen or so plans to fit you into. However, if you're a rich bastard and are a Private Client with WF, the loans your WF rep will be offering you are not the same as those for Joe Schmuck at the branch in the plaza. In addition, an independent broker may well have the ability to sell WF loans, and these again are different products.....but you still end up with a WF mortgage. Dunno whether it's still going, but there also used to be a bad credit arm of WF trading known as WF Financial. And yet again with more unique products!

If you're standardly average and fit inside the rigid template, the regular bank or CU might well be your best bet. The advantage of a good broker is that they will might have 10x the products that visiting a single institution would give you, including possible access to private lenders
Old Feb 24th 2013, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

pennieanddarryl is an unknown quantity at this point

A little more punctuation would be nice..... then we might have at least half an idea what you're talking about.
how about" idiot" is that clear enough
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by pennieanddarryl
how about" idiot" is that clear enough
I considered that to be self evident from your inability to use basic punctuation.