US Mortgage

Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:13 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Mortgage

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut
$200k house on $50k-$60k might already be pushing it, depending on how high the property tax and insurance work out at that point.

4 points over base *really* is throwing away money. Not to mention that buying a house in a location you haven't seen and that you don't know can very quickly turn into an expensive mistake.
Oh sure, it'll be a mistake. But he's determined....so we might as well enjoy it.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by firehawk
oh really? I dont know much about US salary. in the UK on avg its between 35-45K GBP.

as a contractor who is working for my US client, I get around $5000/month give or take.
Chances are that they'll have to bring you over as an employee unless you're a USC - I don't think that the employment-based visa will work for a contractor. But that's a minor detail.

Also, having been a contractor in the UK makes it harder to get a mortgage over here than having been an employee. I've just run into this issue myself, our credit union basically had us wait until I completed two years worth of employment before they would approve a loan due to their lending guidelines basically requiring you to show a minimum of two years continuous employment (otherwise they couldn't sell the loan to Fannie Mae).

Do you have an American Express card in the UK? They have a program that basically allows you to open a US card and if the UK card is in good standing, they report to the credit bureaus that you have a history with them since you got the UK card. I did that, basically gave me an instant 5-6 year credit history over here.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oh sure, it'll be a mistake. But he's determined....so we might as well enjoy it.
Woohoo, train wreck.

Popcorn time !
Old Sep 9th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

so, I am not rich.
I live in the UK and rent. I dont even know how mortgages work! But what I do know is that there are some cheaper things in the US compared to here in the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...0#post10087540

I work for a US client and get paid hourly. So yes I make, thankfully, great money and have always done even working within the UK.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4#post10262684

How did you manage to make your fortune in 99 days?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget on a bus line for work too. Cross reference har with the Houston mta website.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the big one?
from the sounds of it - you are saying the American Dream = debt? LOL.

and as for my reasons for not renting - sorry but you dont get to say what is suitable for me or not. you arent the government/agency. I know what I want and what I can or cannot afford and other logistical reasons. if you dont like it - dont contribute or read it. no one has a gun pointing to your head. dumbass *rolls eyes*
You wanted information.

You got it.

What you do with it is entirely up to you.

The info in this thread is no different to the info you got in the previous thread, so it's all a waste of time really ain't it.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. rude people. jeez. i asked a question - i appreciate the helpful responses. no need to be rude. i dont get why people have to stir it up.

thanks for... nothing.

tip: learn to grow up and some manners as well as community respect and decency yes?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

There are helpful answers from people who have been in similar situations.

Tragically, they were not what you wanted to hear.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 5:04 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I personally wouldn't want a $200k mortgage on $60k/year income.
I would say here (in Houston), based on my experiences I personally wouldn't want to go much over 2 x annual salary. It depends on your circumstances but there's just a hell of a lot of hidden costs here; Medical expenses (even if you're premiums are fully paid by your company, which is probably unlikley for you, the copays and deductibles add up pretty quickly), you need a car an adult here as public transport sucks, if you have any kids, getting them to do any kind of activity is expensive, property tax and insurance are nearly as much as the mortgage the list goes on.

Could you survive on $60k/year in Houston, yes you could. Would you want to, I personally would not. It would be tough.