US Mortgage

Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

firehawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Mortgage

I am planning to hopefully move to the US soon. The current client I have is thinking about me moving over and we are in talks about this.

I live in the UK and have a great credit report.
I am wondering how difficult it is to get a US mortgage to buy a house in Texas/Houston?
What do I need to do to allow/enable me to get a US Mortgage?

I understand that it probably is best to rent it out to check out things but for me it is not quite the option. Besides I have been there a few times and kind of know where/what I want.

any thoughts?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Mortgage

Originally Posted by firehawk
Alas, it'll be worthless to you in the US.

I understand that it probably is best to rent it out to check out things but for me it is not quite the option.
Unless it's a permanent move, renting is still a better option than buying. Renting isn't just about deciding on where to live... it's about reducing your risk if the job goes tits up.

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:27 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK credit report means nothing to US mortgage companies they will look at your credit report here based on your Social security number.
So you start from scratch unless you have a US wife/husband who has excellent credit and get the mortgage based on that rating.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

ah. thank you for that. Like I said - I dont know about these things

so really what you are saying is that it is not possible really to get a US mortgage (unless you are rich, have the cash and buy in cash) unless you work and live there, have SS etc.....

im curious to know why a US mortgage company asked for one though - he asked me for a UK credit report, which I sent him. maybe for his curiosity or something
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

im curious to know why a US mortgage company asked for one though - he asked me for a UK credit report, which I sent him. maybe for his curiosity or something
Perhaps he has a private investor for your mortgage?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

I guess we will find out next week

but yes from the sounds of it I would unfortunately have no chance :-/

so apart from the monthly repayments for the mortgage, what else does one have to pay?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 5:59 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible. You have to know who to ask though. There is a couple that work as realtors is Houston that specialize in expats - the Websters. I have heard from a couple of folk, post credit crunch, that they have known where to go. This Has been for 200-400k mortgages.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning to hopefully move to the US soon. The current client I have is thinking about me moving over and we are in talks about this.
I thought that you were "planning to get married to my current partner who lives in the US"

I am wondering how difficult it is to get a US mortgage to buy a house in Texas/Houston?
What do I need to do to allow/enable me to get a US Mortgage?
  1. Acquire a US credit history
  2. Be able to show that you have sufficient income
  3. Have enough cash for the down payment

Acquiring the credit history will take time.

I understand that it probably is best to rent it out to check out things but for me it is not quite the option.
This question has already been covered in one of your other threads and I still don't understand why renting is not an option for you.

Besides I have been there a few times and kind of know where/what I want.
Knowing what you want is good - getting what you want it another matter - patience is a virtue
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

thanks md
I lack patience. been patient long enough with almost everything! never got me anywhere. LOL

reason renting is not an option for me:

1) you dont know what your landlord is going to be like. could be good. could be bad
2) that rent money can go towards the downpayments of the mortgage
3) I have ALOT of stuff to move. I dont want to be moving and moving and moving
4) I REALLY want to own a property - something I can call "my home" and make mods to it if I want, as with renting - you cannot quite do this.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we will find out next week

but yes from the sounds of it I would unfortunately have no chance :-/

so apart from the monthly repayments for the mortgage, what else does one have to pay?
You certainly have little chance of getting a really good deal on the finance.

The property tax payments are rather high in Texas.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Property tax - can you explain exactly what this is and how it works?
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:26 pm
Septicity

They send you a bill. You pay it or lose the house.

With a mortgage, it'll most often be paid as part of your mortgage payment.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Like the UK council tax. But expensive.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:03 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Up to 3% of the property value per year in/around Houston.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

ouch. why oh why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.