Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

us mobile phone in Europe

Wikiposts

us mobile phone in Europe

Old Oct 18th 2004, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice
Default us mobile phone in Europe

I have US mobile phone T-mobile. I would like to travel to Europe but do not know what to do in order to receive US calls in Europe.

As I am a new customer, T-mobile will not allow me the unrestrained service yet. However, the allow me to unlock my phone and to purchase local (European) phone card.

What does it mean? I imagine, with such local phone card (probably prepaid), I would be able to call anybody in the world. But, will I be able to receive calls on my US number while being in Europe?

I would be very grateful if someone with similar problem would share his/her experience.
Thanks in advance. kazic
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:26 am
bc1
Just Joined

bc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: us mobile phone in Europe

the first thing to check is whether your phone will work in Europe. Being T-Mobile you have a better than average (for US users) chance. I believe T-Mobile is on the GSM 1900 frequency. To operate in Eurpoe you need a phone that covers either or both of GSM 900/1800 frequencies (GSM 800 or 850 is no good to you in Europe)

Receiving calls made to your US number should be fine. You just need to divert all calls received on your US phone to the Euro number. Theres ususally a call-divert option on your phone (depending on the model) or you can access through t-mobile. Of course since you won't have the euro number before you leave you should check with t-mobile that you can call them from europe and the will turn on the divert.

Are you sure they won't give you gloabl roaming even if you have to pay a bond or give a credit card for charges it may be simpler. (I dont know if they'll do this or not - just an idea)

Originally Posted by kazic
I have US mobile phone T-mobile. I would like to travel to Europe but do not know what to do in order to receive US calls in Europe.

As I am a new customer, T-mobile will not allow me the unrestrained service yet. However, the allow me to unlock my phone and to purchase local (European) phone card.

What does it mean? I imagine, with such local phone card (probably prepaid), I would be able to call anybody in the world. But, will I be able to receive calls on my US number while being in Europe?

I would be very grateful if someone with similar problem would share his/her experience.
Thanks in advance. kazic
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

kazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nicekazic is just really nice

Thank you for your response. However, the main question remained open and I am providing some more details - may be someone will know the answer:

Yes, I have GSM phone - and this is not the problems. This phone would work in both USA and Europe.

Receiving calls made to my US number is still the problem. I am a new customer and T-mobile does not allow global roaming for the first 12 months of the contract. It is rather strange: even offering the credit card as a security does not help to get this service within first 12 months.

What they allow, is to unlock the phone so that European (prepaid?) phone card may be purchased. But, it is not clear how the phone would work in such case. Would I be reached under my US number - or under the local European number associated with purchased card?

I tried to get the answer from T-mobile, but they were not able to help me.
May be someone in this forum had the similar problem.
Old Oct 19th 2004, 1:13 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazic
Thank you for your response. However, the main question remained open and I am providing some more details - may be someone will know the answer:

Yes, I have GSM phone - and this is not the problems. This phone would work in both USA and Europe.

Receiving calls made to my US number is still the problem. I am a new customer and T-mobile does not allow global roaming for the first 12 months of the contract. It is rather strange: even offering the credit card as a security does not help to get this service within first 12 months.

What they allow, is to unlock the phone so that European (prepaid?) phone card may be purchased. But, it is not clear how the phone would work in such case. Would I be reached under my US number - or under the local European number associated with purchased card?

I tried to get the answer from T-mobile, but they were not able to help me.
May be someone in this forum had the similar problem.
If you are buying a new SIM card in europe, you will get a european number it wont be a us number.

If you came here with a European phone and bought a US sim card you would get a US number. Common sense really?

Do what bc1 says and get the number diverted once you know what your new number is if you cant use your us number in europe. You can usually access you voicemail menu from a landline so find out what it is before you go.