Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Which provider can I get 45/month for one line with unlimited? I'm at $70 on Verizon with unlimited, would love to get that to 45. Thanks.
In the Boston area, Cricket seems to be popular for a PAYG as they do 4 line unlimited family plan for $100 a month. The last I looked, they have a 2 line plan for $55 of unlimited data, but the speed gets capped after x amount of data. They also have a $60 a month for unlimited data/speed for a single line.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 11:19 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueZ_1
Do you plug the device into your LAN?

BTW - 3 lines for $145 (even including international calling - have you not heard of Google Voice or SIP? You're throwing your money away with it) is a terrible deal. Why didn't you jump on the variety of free line promos they've run the last couple of years, or the 20% hook up codes offered?
I have google voice but quality was terrible and I gave up on it. I just use the number for when I'm travelling or 2 factor authentication.
My $145 is total bill including all add ons and taxes. I had just been thinking of putting the kids onto mintsim since 1 uses loads of data and the other practically nothing.

I'm happy with T-Mobile service where I live now and the service is reliable for my work and its tax deductible anyway.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

petepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond reputepetepete99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like Ultra for pay as you go. They now have unlimited everything (including international texts and calls to most places) for $49 per month.

They use the TMobile network.
Wow, didn't know about this. Sounds almost too good to be true. You can phone back home and even if you call a mobile it's only 1.5c per minute.

What's the catch??
Old Jan 4th 2018, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petepete99
What's the catch??
None that I have ever found

I usually call landlines at home, so have never run out of the included credit for mobiles. It also internationally roams service just fine, but I don't know if they have added data roaming yet.

Overall, I can't say enough good things about them. After YEARS of sub-par options for international calls/texts, this has really been a game changer for me. It was clearly set up by expats, for expats!
Old Jan 4th 2018, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Andyoxon is an unknown quantity at this point

I’ve been looking at this too and thought the cricket unlimited 2 plan looks good
Old Jan 5th 2018, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

12 months later my Cricket plan at $35 fixed (autopay discount) no added taxes etc every month is serving me better than my prior ATT unlimited plan at $80 - 100 per month (depending on the variable taxes etc? never really understood that) plan. Thus I have saved approx $600 this past year.

I have experienced no slow downs. I text the UK, Skype the UK, Facetime the UK, listen to Youtube music streaming in my car.

My advice don't be scare mongered by the big company reps. When you indicate you are thinking of leaving they roll out the script about how many G's you use etc etc. My experience was ATT consistently informed me via their webpages and reps that I was using 5G per month. When I switched to Cricket I was initially careful to monitor my use. It never went over the 3G they provide! After a few months Cricket upped me to 5G at no cost, I still never go over 3.

Oh and the irony, I do believe that ATT own Cricket

When I asked the Cricket reps what is the catch, they shrugged their shoulders and said 'Some people just like to pay more for their phone service.' I think its true it is a branding issue just like gas/ petrol - some people will only buy Shell Premium but if you ever watch all the tankers they all fill up from the same refinery.

Last edited by vikingsail; Jan 5th 2018 at 3:42 am.
Old Jan 5th 2018, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
12 months later my Cricket plan at $35 fixed (autopay discount) no added taxes etc every month is serving me better than my prior ATT unlimited plan at $80 - 100 per month (depending on the variable taxes etc? never really understood that) plan. Thus I have saved approx $600 this past year.

I have experienced no slow downs. I text the UK, Skype the UK, Facetime the UK, listen to Youtube music streaming in my car.

My advice don't be scare mongered by the big company reps. When you indicate you are thinking of leaving they roll out the script about how many G's you use etc etc. My experience was ATT consistently informed me via their webpages and reps that I was using 5G per month. When I switched to Cricket I was initially careful to monitor my use. It never went over the 3G they provide! After a few months Cricket upped me to 5G at no cost, I still never go over 3.

Oh and the irony, I do believe that ATT own Cricket

When I asked the Cricket reps what is the catch, they shrugged their shoulders and said 'Some people just like to pay more for their phone service.' I think its true it is a branding issue just like gas/ petrol - some people will only buy Shell Premium but if you ever watch all the tankers they all fill up from the same refinery.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you ever find an equivalent OP?

The main thing I am looking for is international data roaming not restricted to 2G.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

My husband finally updated his cell phone (a virgin brick from 2012) and I got him a phone from Tmobile who I have been with since year dot. As it was payg plan at $30, I was quite reluctant to give it up but TMobile have a plan called 55+. Its $80 month but if you do automatic payments its $70. As Gordon was paying nearly 40 with his plan on Virgin Mobile, it worked out well for us and next year when we go to the UK to visit our son, we wont need to get a sim card for my unlocked phone.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Tino is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jjmb
My husband finally updated his cell phone (a virgin brick from 2012) and I got him a phone from Tmobile who I have been with since year dot. As it was payg plan at $30, I was quite reluctant to give it up but TMobile have a plan called 55+. Its $80 month but if you do automatic payments its $70. As Gordon was paying nearly 40 with his plan on Virgin Mobile, it worked out well for us and next year when we go to the UK to visit our son, we wont need to get a sim card for my unlocked phone.
Are you restricted to 2G when roaming in the UK?
Old Dec 31st 2018, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tino
Did you ever find an equivalent OP?

The main thing I am looking for is international data roaming not restricted to 2G.
Have a look at Google Fi - $20/month + $10/G and you get that same price for data when roaming internationally and at 4G speeds (where available). You only pay for what you use, so for example if you use 1.5G it will cost you $15.