Reload this Page >

US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

Old Dec 26th 2017, 12:19 am
Just Joined

TheFlamingHips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

Hey all,

Moving to LA in a couple of weeks. Just wondering what's the best cell plan for me?

I use lots of data mostly, don't really call anyone if I don't have to. Don't need minutes really just need a good data plan.

I'm with 3 in the UK and they have unlimited data for £15 a month, plus I can use my mobile in a ton of countries with free data. Great deal.

My question is is there any plan/carrier in the US that offers good data rates/unlimited data?

I buy my iPhones outright so I don't need a phone as part of the deal.

Are all deals 12 month contracts? I used pay as you go, month to month in the UK and that worked well for me.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Mobile/Cell Carriers.

T Mobile works really well for me. Search their one plan for unlimited everything. Personally I use a different plan that has 3gb of data.

You'll find that typically minutes and sms are unlimited in most plans and it's data that differentiates the price.

Last edited by tom169; Dec 26th 2017 at 4:00 am.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

jkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond reputejkeller has a reputation beyond repute

If your iPhones are are 6 or 6+, they will work on any carrier here. If they are 7-8-X, they will work on T-moble and ATT only as they do not have a Qualcomm modem needed for Verizon/Sprint. They have an Intel modem which is GSM only. This is assuming you are bringing your iPhones from the UK. If you bought unlocked phones here in the states, then it will work on all networks here. settings>general>about>model, then Google that to see if it's GSM only phone.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:55 am
Just Joined

TheFlamingHips is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good to know. I have an iPhone X bought in Australia. I'll check the compatibility for networks in the states.
Cheers
Ben

Originally Posted by jkeller
If your iPhones are are 6 or 6+, they will work on any carrier here. If they are 7-8-X, they will work on T-moble and ATT only as they do not have a Qualcomm modem needed for Verizon/Sprint. They have an Intel modem which is GSM only. This is assuming you are bringing your iPhones from the UK. If you bought unlocked phones here in the states, then it will work on all networks here. settings>general>about>model, then Google that to see if it's GSM only phone.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:06 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Most every plan is unlimited everything these days. The prices have actually fallen dramatically in the US over the past couple of years but it remains a somewhat expensive country to use a cell in. Without a lease, you're typically looking at $35-$45/mo/line here. This might have something to do with the geographic size of the US. If you have multiple lines, you can sometimes get a deal.

Verizon is traditionally known as having the best network, but I've found Sprint to be excellent these days and significantly cheaper. T-Mobile is also apparently much improved.

It's likely that an Australian iPhone X will work fine here, if it's unlocked.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Most every plan is unlimited everything these days. The prices have actually fallen dramatically in the US over the past couple of years but it remains a somewhat expensive country to use a cell in. Without a lease, you're typically looking at $35-$45/mo/line here. This might have something to do with the geographic size of the US. If you have multiple lines, you can sometimes get a deal.

Verizon is traditionally known as having the best network, but I've found Sprint to be excellent these days and significantly cheaper. T-Mobile is also apparently much improved.

It's likely that an Australian iPhone X will work fine here, if it's unlocked.
Which provider can I get 45/month for one line with unlimited? I'm at $70 on Verizon with unlimited, would love to get that to 45. Thanks.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I like Ultra for pay as you go. They now have unlimited everything (including international texts and calls to most places) for $49 per month.

They use the TMobile network.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
Which provider can I get 45/month for one line with unlimited? I'm at $70 on Verizon with unlimited, would love to get that to 45. Thanks.
Pay $43 a month including tax on T-Mobile - 3GB LTE and unlimited 3g
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Pay $43 a month including tax on T-Mobile - 3GB LTE and unlimited 3g
We use straight talk $45 unlimited except after 10 gigs the speed drops but I don't think I ever use more than the 10 gigs. We also bought used iphone 5s thru them for $ 79 and $49. I bought mine first at $79 and a week later wife got hers for $49. They both work fine and st talk uses Verizon towers.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 4:19 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
I just signed up for a new plan with Sprint. I looked around and the other carriers and I'd say $35-$45 seems to be the going rate these days for unlimited coverage alone. For three iPhone 8s leases, a Galaxy S8 on the "Galaxy every year" plan (because I'm a spoiled brat), unlimited everything, insurance on the kids phones and ludicrous levels of taxation, I think we're paying right around $250/month all in. My wife got some kind of promotional credit on her phone (an iPhone 8+). We used to pay ~$320 based on the plan we had last year. Prices seem to be falling in general across the industry as the smartphone market is finally completely saturated.

Side note: Sprint doesn't seem to throttle unless you're using a truly ridiculous amount of data (25gb/mo+). I use wifi and wifi calling at all times in my house and at work and never get anywhere close to 10gb/mo despite being profligate with data.

Last edited by Hiro11; Dec 27th 2017 at 4:22 am.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As others have mentioned we use T-Mobile, we have unlimited everything, two iPhone X's and two Apple Watches with their own LTE plan and we pay around $94 a month (we do have a very small discount applied through my FiL's work).

Never had an issue with coverage in LA at all, LTE has always been fast and reliable.

Edit - Just to add, we don't purchase any of our devices through T-Mobile, they're all purchased outright and we just get the sim only deal.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:39 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Verizon gets expensive quickly. I have 5 lines on my plan: iPhone X, iPhone 8, iPhone SE, iPhone 6S Plus and iPhone 7 Plus.

8Gb of data (so not unlimited) - that'll be $340 a month please. When the majority of the phones are paid off in August I'm moving them to another plan somewhere cheaper!

That said Verizons service around here is excellent, and the next best (AT&T) is pretty much useless in the sticks.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 7:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

I would strongly caution against using T-Mobile at the minute - they have a flaw in their two factor authentication system which means users are currently being heavily targeted for online banking fraud/scams.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shiversaint
I would strongly caution against using T-Mobile at the minute - they have a flaw in their two factor authentication system which means users are currently being heavily targeted for online banking fraud/scams.
Source?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 10:35 pm
Banned

SueZ_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jkeller
If your iPhones are are 6 or 6+, they will work on any carrier here. If they are 7-8-X, they will work on T-moble and ATT only as they do not have a Qualcomm modem needed for Verizon/Sprint.
Forget Sprint as they're ****ing awful. VZW now allows iPhone 7's onwards with an Intel modem to use their service. Why? VZW is no longer a CDMA carrier. They are fully VoLTE (see below).

They have an Intel modem which is GSM only.
LTE is *not* GSM. It is its own standard. The industry should stop using the term 'GSM' now we are in a VoLTE world.

To answer the OPs question; no one can reach a judgement for you. Personally, given the major three providers (TMUS/T/VZW) are all about the same price for unlimited, it's purely up to the OP to make an informed decision based on coverage in their area.

Last edited by SueZ_1; Dec 27th 2017 at 10:39 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.