Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US military personnel banned from travel to London

US military personnel banned from travel to London

Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:42 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default US military personnel banned from travel to London

Run away! Run away!

Thousands of US military personnel based in the UK have been banned from travelling to London in the wake of Thursday's bomb attacks.
The US air force said the order had been made in the interests of the safety of its troops.
Details of the travel ban, enforced on Friday, emerged as US President George W Bush said the US would "not retreat in the face of terrorists". He said: "In this difficult hour, the people of Great Britain can know the American people stand with you."

Unless there's a hint of danger.

Last edited by elfman; Jul 12th 2005 at 1:52 am.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 1:53 am
ImHere

Default Re: US military personnel banned from travel to London

Thanks for your unswerving support in the face of adversity guys.

Obviously its not safe for military personel but ok for 12 million Londoners and tourists to go about their normal business.

Now this is a prime example of the difference in Brit and American attitudes to terrorism.

Its like...

Brit: "Oh a bomb. Never mind, I'll step over the rubble to get another round in, just so long as the bits dont get in me pint."

Yank: "Holy mother jesus christ what the F** was that??? Were all gonna die...shit man take cover"

No offence to our American members here but, come on.

Last edited by ImHere; Jul 12th 2005 at 1:59 am.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:15 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Brit: "Oh a bomb. Never mind, I'll step over the rubble to get another round in, just so long as the bits dont get in me pint."
Would send K but have to spread first...
Old Jul 12th 2005, 2:17 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Would send K but have to spread first...
tried as well....
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:06 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

They'll be singing the French national anthem next.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:09 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by sibsie
They'll be singing the French national anthem next.
:scared: :scared:

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say this, and I'll get flamed for it but IMO, it makes sense for them to ban their personnel from London.

The terrorist cell is still active and still a threat; but you couldn't tell commuters to avoid London and stop going to work.

I am surprised that this wasn't kept quiet though.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:37 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I hate to say this, and I'll get flamed for it but IMO, it makes sense for them to ban their personnel from London.

The terrorist cell is still active and still a threat; but you couldn't tell commuters to avoid London and stop going to work.

I am surprised that this wasn't kept quiet though.

To a point. Perhaps banning them from walking around in full military regalia singing the star spangled banner (as we had to travel in civvies off camp back in the 80's due to the IRA).

The terrorist cells are active all over the world and they well know it. Cant see them banning their troops from nipping to downtown NY or DC.

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

To a point. Perhaps banning them from walking around in full military regalia singing the star spangled banner (as we had to travel in civvies off camp back in the 80's due to the IRA).

The terrorist cells are active all over the world and they well know it. Cant see them banning their troops from nipping to downtown NY or DC.
Good point. I'm hoping the MOD haven't banned our troops from London.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:40 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I think I need to IM you young man.........
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:41 am

Good point. I'm hoping the MOD haven't banned our troops from London.
from walking around in uniform.. that was 30 years ago
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:42 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in London so had a very realistic view of terrorism. I was previously engaged to a US Navy pilot who was based at The Pentagon. It amazed me that he'd travel all round the city in uniform. I asked him about the security aspect at the time and he said it never crossed his mind. This was pre 9/11 but as far as I can tell, nothing's changed.
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:43 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I think I need to IM you young man.........
What what? Why why?

Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
from walking around in uniform.. that was 30 years ago
WTF??? They can't walk around in uniform?
Old Jul 12th 2005, 3:44 am

WTF??? They can't walk around in uniform?
Brits, no way!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.