Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

Old Feb 15th 2012, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

The folks in between the 1% and those on minimum wage....well ok, that's a bit extreme, maybe the 10%

Basically anyone who potentially gets royally screwed by losing their job because they've got to much to be truely poor, but not enough to cover medical insurance.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, I am very much Scottish middle class, irrespective of how much money is in the bank.

In California it seems like I can be whatever I bloody well want.

One of many reasons why the West Coast is better than the East Coast, and indeed, the UK!
Old Feb 16th 2012, 1:02 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
..... it seems like I can be whatever I bloody well want.
Maybe more so then some places, but, for most middle rung folks, it would still be difficult to mix socially with the poor or rich (other than casually in passing). I know my brother-in-law moved out of Seattle, bringing up a family in an affluent area was one of the reasons. He wanted his children to be surrounded by children with similar expectations of what they could do and have.

Plus of course, only someone from the middle class would ever really say that they can be whatever they want.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 16th 2012 at 1:09 am.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

If you are on minimum wage or less, then you are poor. If you have money to spend on lots of luxuries (rather than just a few) then you are rich. Everyone else is middle class. Which turns out to be a huge number.

In the UK, working class takes up the poor and the bottom end of the US middle class. I would regard upper class as being aristocracy and such, you can't buy into it although maybe your children can become it. Someone who gets rich through work will only ever be upper middle class in my mind.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:12 pm
Banned

ukmedic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Anian
If you are on minimum wage or less, then you are poor. If you have money to spend on lots of luxuries (rather than just a few) then you are rich. Everyone else is middle class. Which turns out to be a huge number.

In the UK, working class takes up the poor and the bottom end of the US middle class. I would regard upper class as being aristocracy and such, you can't buy into it although maybe your children can become it. Someone who gets rich through work will only ever be upper middle class in my mind.
Agree well put
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I would regard upper class as being aristocracy and such, you can't buy into it although maybe your children can become it. Someone who gets rich through work will only ever be upper middle class in my mind.
Since there is no such thing as aristocracy or gentry in the US, I disagree. Anyone that is making tons of money (CEO, etc), or have millions in the bank, are not 'middle' class any way you cut it. They are the upper class. Now, just because they are in the upper class, it doesn't mean they have any class...if you get my meaning. And anyone that has the luck and skill to make $$$ can move into the upper class.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The "middle class" in the US doesn't really exist except in speeches made by politicians in which case it usually means "the people that I want to vote for me" ...
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Class is money here. Nothing else.
Hmmm. But often money isn't class. Here or in the UK. IMVHO.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Since there is no such thing as aristocracy or gentry in the US, I disagree. Anyone that is making tons of money (CEO, etc), or have millions in the bank, are not 'middle' class any way you cut it. They are the upper class. Now, just because they are in the upper class, it doesn't mean they have any class...if you get my meaning. And anyone that has the luck and skill to make $$$ can move into the upper class.
Again, I wouldn't completely disagree with this.. but there is a class or classes in the US that equate somewhat to the English gentry, aristocracy, and upper class. Old money, old intelligentsia, the descendants of the people Edith Wharton wrote about... generally comfortably off, but not necessarily so.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The "middle class" in the US doesn't really exist except in speeches made by politicians in which case it usually means "the people that I want to vote for me" ...
^ ^ ^

This statement completely nails it for me - it's the missing piece in my incomplete understanding of why the term 'middle class' is used with such monotonous regularity at US election time. Thanks.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:15 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I used to think that, then the Nob Hill Gazette started getting delivered to where I live http://www.nobhillgazette.com/

The people contained in those pages (http://www.thedigitaleditiononline.c...ation/?i=98466) look more upper class than those in the Horse and Hound and to my mind are the American aristocracy.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:29 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

How I understand it:

There isn't a working class ethic here (anymore) and a Yank would never have pride in being called working class.
They basically aspire to be middle class because they see it as reflection of what America is all about; money gives freedom of choice and material things are the rewards of being an American.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:25 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Im working class in the UK and middle class in the USA. I think the middle class lower boundary is much lower in the USA. I also think that in the UK 'class' is as much about beliefs and mindset whereas in the US it's all about £££ well, $$$.

I also think that in the UK you can be proud to be working class whereas in the US it's usually derogatory.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Since there is no such thing as aristocracy or gentry in the US, I disagree. Anyone that is making tons of money (CEO, etc), or have millions in the bank, are not 'middle' class any way you cut it. They are the upper class.
I think you misunderstood me. In the US there is only poor, rich, and middle class; as opposed to the UK which is working class, middle class, and upper class.

Americans pride themselves on having created a "classless society" but what they really mean is that they renamed the classes and based it purely on money. I expect that in in the older parts of the USA there are people who think of themselves as aristocracy (inherited fortunes, ideas on what is proper) but I don't think anyone else sees them that way.

One thing I have noticed, anyone who uses the phrase "classy" is not classy and will never be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.