Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/Mexico Border

US/Mexico Border

Old Oct 1st 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default US/Mexico Border

My wife and I are going to the US in a few days. We'd like to drive into Mexico from Nogales AZ and visit various towns in Sonora. I have been reading lots of news about shootings, kidnappings, etc in the border areas. Does anyone have any experience of crossing the US/Mexico border in Arizona? Is Nogales/Sonora relatively safe if one avoids going out at dark?

I was in that area 15 years ago and didn't have any problems, but I bet it's changed a lot since then.

Thanks,

Marco
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/Mexico Border

Originally Posted by Marocco
My wife and I are going to the US in a few days. We'd like to drive into Mexico from Nogales AZ and visit various towns in Sonora. I have been reading lots of news about shootings, kidnappings, etc in the border areas. Does anyone have any experience of crossing the US/Mexico border in Arizona? Is Nogales/Sonora relatively safe if one avoids going out at dark?

I was in that area 15 years ago and didn't have any problems, but I bet it's changed a lot since then.

Thanks,

Marco
It's been a long time for me too. I did go across the border at Nogales. I found it very interesting, but a little scary. We walked over - I personally wouldn't have driven into Mexico. But maybe I'm just being a wimp.

I have just heard stories of being accused of running someone over, and being put in Mexican jails. I don't know how true this is, or how current - but we were leery. My friends who were with me had grown up in the area of AZ, and they advised not taking the car over.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in a rental car, they may not look kindly on you removing it from the US, especially if something happens to it while in Mexico.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 3:47 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Most people stop before the border and buy Mexican car insurance. It's not very expensive. You won't be insured while in Mexico otherwise, and you can imagine the problems that could cause if you had an accident.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Marco
Hi:

This is the latest from the US State Department for US Citizens traveling to Mexico -- http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/c...a/pa_3028.html

I know that you are not United States people, but you might be perceived as such. Note the restrictions mentioned by others in taking a vehicle across the border. The rental people in El Paso will allow entry into Cd.Juarez, but I don't think that exists elsewhere.

Please note that is not a "Travel Warning." There is no current travel warning on Mexico. With one exception, I would not travel to any of the countries on the "Travel Warning List."

Also, although not on point, I was in Oaxaca in 2006 when the government broke up a long standing labor dispute between the teachers and the Oaxaca state government. A lot of angry people, but they left the "Gringo's" alone. And if it was dangerous to go somewhere, we would be somehow advised not to go there -- no particular reason given. We were worried if the airport would reopen for our scheduled departure. I once had to cross a barricade with the stones, bricks and stones piled nearby in order to get to an ATM to get some cash. As I crossed the barricade the only greetings I got were friendly "buenos dias, senor" with a smile.

So, although there is a risk of "collateral damage" -- the odds are very much in your favor since it is appears unlikely that you are a target. If you want, sew a Union Jack on your backpack.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 5:49 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Marco
We drove to Sonora & back this past winter (I realize things have escalated elsewhere since) and I do not *disrecommend* it, but I urge to you do some reading on driving in Mexico before you cross.
Sanborn's is a popular place to get your Mexican insurance (you MUST have it) and they have excellent travel resources. There is a mini office in the Holiday Inn Express that is open all days and more convenient than the other office. There is a Safeway and a Starbucks at that exit too.

The road has been improved all the way to Guaymas, and the Sonora Free Trade Zone was recently expanded just south of there, so you can take your vehicle that far without getting an import permit. Be SURE to stop at Km 21 for your tourist permit though. And time your restroom breaks carefully, especially when leaving.

Definitely don't drive at night, but once you get past the immediate border zone you'll find the towns in Sonora fairly prosperous (San Miguel is totally gringo now, as is "Rocky Point"). My folks very nearly bought there, but have settled on the US side of the border and cross frequently. They're very cute bombing down that highway in their Mini, hellbent for leather along with all the bigass SUVs.
We have other family who are back and forth frequently and they haven't experienced the problems that other parts of the border zone are having.

I'm fairly confident that you can take a rental car over, as we have done to Puerto Penasco in the past.

edit: I like this link too: http://www.thenogaleschamber.com/Por...3/Default.aspx

Last edited by meauxna; Oct 1st 2008 at 6:04 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I personally wouldn't have driven into Mexico. But maybe I'm just being a wimp.

I have just heard stories of being accused of running someone over, and being put in Mexican jails.
Wimp! Tough ole Chicago gal like you, tsk!

It's true the legal system is basically the opposite of ours; you are considered guilty until you prove yourself otherwise. There is some common sense advice out there regarding what to do if you are in an accident, but since I don't want to be aiding and abetting, I'll simply recommend The People's Guide to Mexico (any edition) for advice on what to do in a crash. If you hit a person though, be prepared to remain on the scene, and get a lawyer ASAP.

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
So, although there is a risk of "collateral damage" -- the odds are very much in your favor since it is appears unlikely that you are a target. If you want, sew a Union Jack on your backpack.
I have one caveat to add to this.. the problems in Oaxaca are political. There is a long history of (peaceful & non) demonstrations and political action in the state and the capital there (very far from the US border). What is scary about the recent border issues are the drug and turf wars and disregard for bystanders.. more like Culiacán, where you could possibly be collateral damage. Note the cities names in the DOS page; Sonora seems mostly left out of it this time.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 6:21 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

The US State Dept's travel advice is under political influence.

Not being a political target is great, but it doesn't say anything about the greater risk, which is being smacked over the head during a robbery.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
The US State Dept's travel advice is under political influence.

Not being a political target is great, but it doesn't say anything about the greater risk, which is being smacked over the head during a robbery.
Robbery? Where are you going?