Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

Got any job openings?

Originally Posted by Hotscot
When I had the audacity to reach 50 I very much became unemployable in high tech.

Hence my own business.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons ago when I worked in a university admissions office, evaluations of international degrees were typically not expected. The university had an internal listing and grade conversion policy, which was used to decipher the transcripts directly. For selection, they were usually interested in performance in specific subjects, so a standard equivalency evaluation was not much use.

All this is by the by, though. I recommend you start by working out what job/field you want to end up in, then work backwards to figure out the best program of study/check admission requirements/etc. One other useful piece of advice is that if you have a specific 'big' employer in mind, be sure to seek out a school where they do on campus recruitment.

You haven't said where your interests lie, but if you're programming-inclined, there are a huge amount of jobs going on right now in machine learning, data science, etc. Of course, with these being buzz words, quite a bit of that is of questionable quality. Personally, I think a quality masters in statistics, though less fashionable, will go a very long way.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Got any job openings?
Not yet I'm afraid but when I do I'll need someone with a physics degree and sales experience.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:17 am
Just Joined

sam666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bnet36
If you are not decided on a precise degree or career path I would highly recommend the MBA in the US. They treat it like gold. It covers most areas management, operations, marketing which can be applied to any job. I have seen many MBA candidates with 'science' undergrad degree come to get their MBAs.

While studying you will see where your strengths or interests lie. If you do a full time program with a good uni they will have internships built in to the end of your 1st year and job placement at the end of the program. This is a big deal for schools as their rankings are based on these 2 things amongst other things. I have seen many MBAs go into consulting with technology firms and various other fields.

What I will tell you is getting into a group B uni ( the level below the ivy leagues) is still very competitive and gruesome. Expect interviews, sample paper requests etc. prior to admission and you will have to sell yourself as if you are not paying them to come to school . They are basically making sure that you have the drive and that you will check all the right boxes to add to their rankings.

It's a hustle but if you are going to pay the money you want a valuable product at the end of it. I also suggest speaking to a career advisor at the school before committing to the school.

I hope I have not completely discouraged you. It is worth it - I can attest to that as a person that worked in the MBA field and also has an MBA.

Good luck!
Thank you for the invaluable advise, I knew posting here would certainly help me realise certain things that I wouldn't even had considered.
Thank you, once again for you long and considered response.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by z1565124
I got on to an accredited MBA program here in the States with my 2:1 from Liverpool Uni in Manufacturing Engineering. All I needed to show then was my transcript. They did not need it evaluated and I'm guessing any decent school in the states will be able to tell from where you went, what you studied and what grades you got if you are eligible for the program you are applying for.

Good luck in your studies. As a side not I much preferred the education experience here in the US than in the UK.
Thank you for sharing your story and experience it is much appreciated, I'll bear that in mind. Thank you, I just I see that for myself soon enough.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by retzie
Many moons ago when I worked in a university admissions office, evaluations of international degrees were typically not expected. The university had an internal listing and grade conversion policy, which was used to decipher the transcripts directly. For selection, they were usually interested in performance in specific subjects, so a standard equivalency evaluation was not much use.

All this is by the by, though. I recommend you start by working out what job/field you want to end up in, then work backwards to figure out the best program of study/check admission requirements/etc. One other useful piece of advice is that if you have a specific 'big' employer in mind, be sure to seek out a school where they do on campus recruitment.

You haven't said where your interests lie, but if you're programming-inclined, there are a huge amount of jobs going on right now in machine learning, data science, etc. Of course, with these being buzz words, quite a bit of that is of questionable quality. Personally, I think a quality masters in statistics, though less fashionable, will go a very long way.
Thank you for your reply. I see, well I haven't actually applied but the situation might not be that different.

Yes that sounds like a good idea, at the very least a thinking about it can't hurt.

My interest would be IT(not programming due to no experience), business related topics, Mathematics, now that you mention it statistics.

From what I have seen computer science is a very competitive and popular degree.sadly I'm not coming from a position of strength, along with not having the required skill set.
A masters in statistics is a definite possibility, I would have the prerequisites. Something I will consider and for sure look in to.
Thank you
Old Sep 14th 2014, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, thanks. I was looking for something as I am a FT student.
Originally Posted by Hotscot
Not yet I'm afraid but when I do I'll need someone with a physics degree and sales experience.