Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

sam666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

I'm basically very stuck at finding a university that will accept my 2.2 UK degree as it without it getting evaluated. I just want to know if in fact it is possible to be accepted into a decent school. I am aware that the GRE is required, but don't don't want to fully commit to it if cannot see a possible goal. I'm a permanent resident, which why it makes it more frustrating.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Masters with a 2.2 UK Degree, Help!!

Are you sitting down face to face with the admissions tutor or just looking at stuff online? Yes, ultimately they may want you to pay for credential evaluation before they let you in.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

At present, sending out a few e-mails and seeing online stuff. I see, I just want to ascertain if indeed it is possible just to have peace of mind.
Thank you for your reply.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's going to depend on what you studied, where you studied and where you want to go...

If it was OxBridge, it would certainly be less of a issue than if it were Wolverhampton :/
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam666
I'm basically very stuck at finding a university that will accept my 2.2 UK degree as it without it getting evaluated. I just want to know if in fact it is possible to be accepted into a decent school. I am aware that the GRE is required, but don't don't want to fully commit to it if cannot see a possible goal. I'm a permanent resident, which why it makes it more frustrating.

Any advise would be helpful.

Thank you
Take the GRE.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
It's going to depend on what you studied, where you studied and where you want to go...

If it was OxBridge, it would certainly be less of a issue than if it were Wolverhampton :/
Thank you for your reply, that would make sense.
As for what studied is mathematics at Brighton University, granted not the best academic institution in terms of the global reputation. As for where I want to go I am very flexible. I came here for some answers as there is virtually nothing in regards to UK students applying in the US, anywhere.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Take the GRE.
Thank You, I am almost certainly going to take and just see if I can get somewhere with Institutions in the mean time.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a few years since I got my US Masters degree, but as far as I remember all you needed was a pulse and good credit.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
It's been a few years since I got my US Masters degree, but as far as I remember all you needed was a pulse and good credit.
Thank you for your insight, I remain optimistic.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 9:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you just get your degree evaluated by somebody like WES? Wouldn't a US Uni accept that?
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why can't you just get your degree evaluated by somebody like WES? Wouldn't a US Uni accept that?
Because it's a unregulated industry, so if you were to do that it would be best to wait and use which ever company the institution would prefer you to use so you don't have to keep on doing it.

Really need to figure out what you want to study and where you want to study first though, then figure out with that institution what you need to do to qualify as well as fund the thing.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what Masters degree program you are looking at, go for the GMAT if you have a choice. If you are stronger in Math you will do better on the GMAT. GRE is testing writing, language type of skill. Some if not most programs take both.

I did my MBA in the US and almost every university wants a degree evaluation and be prepared for a low GPA. I have a UK 2:1 honors degree and was evaluated at a 2.98. I was not happy. Your GMAT/GRE will carry a lot of weight with the admissions person. Also, steer clear off the for profit universities which is tempting because they only need you to be alive as an entry requirement.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Because it's a unregulated industry, so if you were to do that it would be best to wait and use which ever company the institution would prefer you to use so you don't have to keep on doing it.

Really need to figure out what you want to study and where you want to study first though, then figure out with that institution what you need to do to qualify as well as fund the thing.
My issue that a few institutions have suggested the an evaluation company should be used. However I am afraid that their evaluation will devalue my degree and likely not give me 3.0 GPA required by 90% of the universities/colleges.
realistically I am looking at anywhere between 2.1-2.7 as a possibility which is less than the required 3.0.
So I'm just really looking for advise or anything that might this whole process a little easier.

Who knew applying for a masters would be so complicated.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bnet36
Depending on what Masters degree program you are looking at, go for the GMAT if you have a choice. If you are stronger in Math you will do better on the GMAT. GRE is testing writing, language type of skill. Some if not most programs take both.

I did my MBA in the US and almost every university wants a degree evaluation and be prepared for a low GPA. I have a UK 2:1 honors degree and was evaluated at a 2.98. I was not happy. Your GMAT/GRE will carry a lot of weight with the admissions person. Also, steer clear off the for profit universities which is tempting because they only need you to be alive as an entry requirement.
Thank you for your advise, it has been very helpful.
I'll definitely bear that in mind. Yes a potentially low GPA equivalent has made this process a lot more difficult, Yeah I don't blame you. Yes I had read about them, I had every intention to do so. Sadly I couldn't afford them even if I wanted to.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I wish I had done my Masters whilst in England I may still do another when I get back (it makes more sense for me to do a doctorate though). Things are a lot easier in the UK.

You will get a lower GPA evaluation but if your GMAT/GRE score is good they will accept you. My former colleague got into a Phd program with just a Bachelors because her GMAT was 750. This was in a highly ranked university.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.