Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US LPR Visiting England - Driving on CA License

US LPR Visiting England - Driving on CA License

Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:29 am
Just Joined

grotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud of
Default US LPR Visiting England - Driving on CA License

I am going to be heading back to the UK next week and am checking the car rental web sites. I have held a California drivers license for 13+ years. Upon checking the car rental web sites all of the "good" deals state that you should have a international driving license/permit. I can get one of these really easily for 2 x US passport size photographs and $15 but I wonder if that is really necessary... Does anyone have any recent experience?
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

livinginUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US LPR Visiting England - Driving on CA License

Originally Posted by grotster
I am going to be heading back to the UK next week and am checking the car rental web sites. I have held a California drivers license for 13+ years. Upon checking the car rental web sites all of the "good" deals state that you should have a international driving license/permit. I can get one of these really easily for 2 x US passport size photographs and $15 but I wonder if that is really necessary... Does anyone have any recent experience?
I have had no problems with a Virginia, California, and most recently a Nevada license with Europcar, Enterprise, Avis and Thrifty in the UK.

I've honestly never thought twice about it. After a quick Google search, I found this:

"Non-EU license holders are required to have an international driving permit if the license is not in English."
- Car Rental in the UK | Europe | USA Car Hire - Alamo Rent A Car
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:09 am
Just Joined

grotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud ofgrotster has much to be proud of

I appreciate your reply, it however demonstrates my point... You linked to the Alamo web site which offers cars for 4 weeks for about £1200. The sites that I have seen from europcar and the like offer cars from £500 with a international drivers permit (you can get a Mercedes for this kind of money).
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a problem renting cars in the UK and Europe with a California driver's license.
Old Feb 22nd 2015, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

An IDL is purely an English translation of a foreign DL, therefore should NOT be necessary in the UK.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

rjm_cmyk is an unknown quantity at this point

I offered both my old UK and current US DL last time I picked up a car at Enterprise at Heathrow and they took my US-CA licence - presumably because it has a photo on it. The car was booked on the UK site in advance.