Reload this Page >

US LPR - How to avoid abandoning my LPR status

US LPR - How to avoid abandoning my LPR status

Old Sep 19th 2016, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dominic0012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US LPR - How to avoid abandoning my LPR status

Hi All,

I am finding job hunting in the U.S. more tricky than first expected.

I have exams in the UK that are more useful in the UK than in the U.S.

The situation I have, is that I can find work in the UK relatively easily but I am finding it a struggle and a grind to find U.S. work in my profession in New York.

I am wondering if I can work on a FTC in the UK whilst remaining a LPR in the U.S and I can use that time wisely by applying for Jobs in the U.S. with my U.S. address in the meantime while I work in the U.K.

Any suggestion and experiences would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Dominic.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 3:48 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: US LPR - How to avoid abandoning my LPR status

I think this is better placed in our USA forum so I have moved it there

Thanks
Old Sep 21st 2016, 4:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dominic,

You just arrived in the USA very recently via marriage to a USC, right? Do you have a 2-year green card?

If you go and study in the UK, will your wife remain in the USA? What ties will you maintain in the USA?

Rene
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominic0012
..... I am wondering if I can work on a FTC in the UK whilst remaining a LPR in the U.S and I can use that time wisely by applying for Jobs in the U.S. with my U.S. address in the meantime while I work in the U.K. .....
Yes. But if you stay out of the US for more than six months at a time you might start to get awkward questions at US immigration on your return.

If you take contracts of 2-6 months in the UK and return to the US in between, then that would work, but keep accurate records of your departure and arrival dates because you will need them if/when you apply for citizenship, and spending big chunks of time outside the US might delay when you are eligible to apply for citizenship.

Working in the UK while being a US permanent resident will also significantly complicate your tax returns.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:57 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes. But if you stay out of the US for more than six months at a time you might start to get awkward questions at US immigration on your return.
Wouldn't Global Entry membership fix this?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 7:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Wouldn't Global Entry membership fix this?
Dunno. My guess would be at some point (number of days out of the US) you would be rejected and sent for manual processing.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2016 at 7:06 pm.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 11:44 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno. My guess would be at some point (number of days out of the US) you would be rejected and sent for manual processing.
How would they know the number of days you've been outside the country? No exit checks in the US remember
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
How would they know the number of days you've been outside the country? No exit checks in the US remember. ....
The CBP capture exit data for visitors via the airline manifests, through the successor process to the old I94 cards. I think you will find that in fact ALL departing passengers are logged.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 3:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The CBP capture exit data for visitors via the airline manifests, through the successor process to the old I94 cards. I think you will find that in fact ALL departing passengers are logged.
Also - I always leave the U.S. by road, since I fly overseas from a Canadian airport. I'm pretty sure the Canadian records of folks entering Canada from the U.S. by road are shared with the U.S. authorities.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Dominic,

What is an FTC you refer to in your first post? I seem to have mistakenly thought you were going to study in the UK (because of your use of the term "exams"). Being outside the USA to attend school is a valid reason to spend so much time away from the USA, or if your current employer is sending you overseas on a work assignment.

However, actually going to the UK to work for a new employer might be harder to prove as a temporary arrangement. Also, would your UK employer allow you to take the time off needed to attend interviews in the USA?

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Dominic,

What is an FTC you refer to in your first post? I seem to have mistakenly thought you were going to study in the UK (because of your use of the term "exams"). Being outside the USA to attend school is a valid reason to spend so much time away from the USA, or if your current employer is sending you overseas on a work assignment.

However, actually going to the UK to work for a new employer might be harder to prove as a temporary arrangement. Also, would your UK employer allow you to take the time off needed to attend interviews in the USA? .....
FTC = Fixed Term Contract, I think, so short periods of work (upto a few months), punctuated by gaps between contracts, as distinct from "vacation", sabbaticals, etc. So there wouldn't be a single employer, just a series of businesses that need the OP's services for a fixed period of time.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 22nd 2016 at 8:45 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:51 pm

Ah, then that might work out.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

To the extent that any significant amount of the work could be done remotely while the OP was physically present in the U.S. that would help with the issue of maintaining U.S. residence.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by md95065
To the extent that any significant amount of the work could be done remotely while the OP was physically present in the U.S. that would help with the issue of maintaining U.S. residence.
Absolutely!

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by md95065
And potentially make for some massively complex tax issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.