US Lawyer

Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:47 am
Just Joined

everton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to all
Default US Lawyer

Help Please

I was given a recommendation for a immigration lawyer based in Miami from a helpful guy on this site.
The lawyer has only advised free of charge up to this point but now wants to make arrangements to meet me in London to go through the visa options available to me.
He does not want to travel up to the UK north west to keep "my costs to a minimum".
I will of course ask if i will be billed for this travel but can anyone advise on this being normal procedure, can anyone advise on ballpark cost figs ( i know it will depend on what visa etc) for an immigration lawyer and the process.

thank you
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Lawyer

Originally Posted by everton00
He does not want to travel up to the UK north west to keep "my costs to a minimum".
He doesn't want to bill you both for the cost of the trip, and for the time it takes to get to your place and back again. The trip will cost the same (whether he comes to you, or you go to him)... it's the travelling time that makes the difference to how much it'll end up costing you.

I will of course ask if i will be billed for this travel but can anyone advise on this being normal procedure...
Yes, it's normal.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes, it's normal.

Ian
Isn't it unusual, though, for a lawyer in Miami to fly all the way to London just to meet someone to talk about visa options? Can't that be done over the phone or computer somehow?

Doesn't seem normal to me.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

everton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to alleverton00 is a name known to all

thanks very much,

however would i be paying for his full time x 2 days ( travel, hotel etc) or should i go over to Miami.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much,

however would i be paying for his full time x 2 days ( travel, hotel etc) or should i go over to Miami.
You'll have to ask him how he breaks down his charges and fees, and how much it will be.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much,

Why on earth do you have to be face to face in person -- most lawyers use teleconferencing these days in order to avoid wasting time on travel. Sounds like this guy wants an all-expenses paid vacation!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

however would i be paying for his full time x 2 days ( travel, hotel etc)...
Yes, most likely... and he probably won't want to travel coach!

... or should i go over to Miami.
It'd certainly be less expensive for you.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Isn't it unusual, though, for a lawyer in Miami to fly all the way to London just to meet someone to talk about visa options? Can't that be done over the phone or computer somehow?

Doesn't seem normal to me.
I don't know if it's normal or not, but my immediate reaction is that it sounds shady as hell. Also, if the guy is going to bill you to fly all the way to the UK just to "go through the visa options" I don't see why he can't hop on a damn train once he gets there.

EDIT: Although now I see Ian covered this point and I missed it. I am still mystified as to why it is necessary for him to come to the UK at all (but am, as ever, eager to be enlightened).

Last edited by zerlesen; Dec 20th 2011 at 1:59 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little unclear on precisely what the proposed arrangement is. I read the OP in light of what I perceived "normal" arrangements. However, from the responses, I now know that matter may not be a clear as I thought.

It is not uncommon for US based immigration lawyers to be abroad for reasons not directly related to the particular client. However, there will be meetings with other clients and potential clients while there.

In that light I read the proposal as a statement that the lawyer was going to be in London and if OP wanted to meet him in London. If OP wanted lawyer to come "north" to meet him, money would have to change hands.

The initial question might need to be clarified.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Help Please

I was given a recommendation for a immigration lawyer based in Miami from a helpful guy on this site.
The lawyer has only advised free of charge up to this point but now wants to make arrangements to meet me in London to go through the visa options available to me.
I will of course ask if i will be billed for this travel but can anyone advise on this being normal procedure, can anyone advise on ballpark cost figs ( i know it will depend on what visa etc) for an immigration lawyer and the process.

thank you

I smell a Rat, or even worse.........a Lawyer!

Are you sure this Lawyer is Legit, Everton00?

Jim (A Red - But willing to assist a Blue-Nose).
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In that light I read the proposal as a statement that the lawyer was going to be in London and if OP wanted to meet him in London. If OP wanted lawyer to come "north" to meet him, money would have to change hands.
Ah, that sounds much more reasonable.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Ah, that sounds much more reasonable.
Agreed. However, later on the OP asks if he should go to Miami instead. This leads me to believe the lawyer isn't already going to be in London.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Agreed. However, later on the OP asks if he should go to Miami instead. This leads me to believe the lawyer isn't already going to be in London.

Rene

This Lawyer came recommended off someone who used him on here, he has not charged for some background help so far, to be fair to him no charges have been mentioned at this point and my next email will of course ask for these. I was just checking to see what the norm was.

Thanks for the replies and help off all.

Please continue with any more advise

thanks again
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:35 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Fair enough. As I said, it turns out not to be clear. Back in the day, I worked for a firm whose primary clientele was from a country with quite strict currency controls. We had to make clear for my visa application that I was traveling only for pre-existing clients and would not collect funds in-country.

The firm would tend to "load-up" the case load so as to avoid traveling for only one client and also to spread around the expenses. [I would travel Business Class. One time there was a "two for one" promotion and my OH came with me. She noted that she "could really get spoiled" by Business Class. One thing about Business Class was that I was no where near as jet-lagged and also was to able to do work on the plane.]

When I was in the Capital City, existing clients would take the train from remote ends to the country to meet with me. Since I was in-country already, the firm did not charge extra for those meetings.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:39 pm

This Lawyer came recommended off someone who used him on here, he has not charged for some background help so far, to be fair to him no charges have been mentioned at this point and my next email will of course ask for these. I was just checking to see what the norm was.
So far, things seem normal....the lawyer has given you some free consultation time, and now that you want some options presented to you, he wants to charge you for his consultation time (and his travel time and expenses). This is normal. But we can't know what his "normal" rate would be for charges, what it would encompass, etc...those details will be up to him.

I still think the "not normal" part is that he wants to come all the way from Miami to London just for you, to talk about visa options face to face. That's the part that I find unusual. Unless he's already going to be in the UK for some other reason, combining several things under one business trip...in which case I don't think you'd have to pay his way to the UK (or maybe you'd pay a portion, I don't know). I also wouldn't travel all the way to Miami just to meet with him, either...these things can be done on the phone, email, computer, chat, etc.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.