British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Laptop/UK Modem connection/phone jack (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-laptop-uk-modem-connection-phone-jack-726659/)

Barbara1133 Jul 28th 2011 1:38 pm

US Laptop/UK Modem connection/phone jack

I'm moving back in two weeks and am taking my Dell laptop purchased here in the US. I've set up internet through BT and they will be sending an installation kit. I've just realised that my US broadband connection through AT&T is connected via modem through my phone line and connected to the computer with a phone jack. I'm wondering if I will be able to connect a UK phone jack into my US laptop or will I need an adaptor? I'm sure the UK phone jacks are round whereas the US jacks are square. Does anybody know anything about this? My concern is getting over there, opening up the kit and finding out I need to plug the UK phone jack from the modem into my laptop and the jack not fitting.

Any answers? Sorry if this is hopelessly convoluted.

:confused::unsure:

D.K.B.63 Jul 28th 2011 2:52 pm

Re: US Laptop/UK Modem connection/phone jack

Hi

I am new on this board but I can answer this question. When I visit the UK and take my US purchased lap top I have no problems connecting and all the internet connections are fairly much standard around the world.

aries_bird Jul 28th 2011 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Barbara1133 (Post 9524490)
I'm moving back in two weeks and am taking my Dell laptop purchased here in the US. I've set up internet through BT and they will be sending an installation kit. I've just realised that my US broadband connection through AT&T is connected via modem through my phone line and connected to the computer with a phone jack. I'm wondering if I will be able to connect a UK phone jack into my US laptop or will I need an adaptor? I'm sure the UK phone jacks are round whereas the US jacks are square. Does anybody know anything about this? My concern is getting over there, opening up the kit and finding out I need to plug the UK phone jack from the modem into my laptop and the jack not fitting.

I would agree with DKB, you will be fine. BT will send you a wireless router or home hub which include an ethernet cable. You can connect this directly into the hub and your laptop or disgard any of the cables and connect wirelessly assuming your laptop has wireless capablity.

The hub connects to the BT phone jack. The ethernet port on routers and laptops tend to be pretty standard throughout and I have connected my UK Dell laptop with an ethernet cable to modems/routers in the US several times.

Barbara1133 Jul 28th 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks so much, both of you! I thought I would be fine until somebody mentioned the point about the phone jacks and I suddenly began to worry. I really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch!

Two weeks to go....:D

penguinsix Jul 29th 2011 1:01 am

Are you absolutely sure it is a "phone jack" on the laptop and not an "ethernet port"? The two things look almost identical, but the ethernet port is called an RJ-45 port and is slightly larger than a standard US phone jack that you see in your wall where the phone is plugged in.

You can see the difference here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...300px-Rjxx.jpg

Honestly, I haven't seen many laptops made in the last few years that still have phone modems. Most are Ethernet ports, and you'll have no problem plugging and Ethernet cable in to that port in the UK.

Barbara1133 Aug 1st 2011 1:55 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 9525489)
Are you absolutely sure it is a "phone jack" on the laptop and not an "ethernet port"? The two things look almost identical, but the ethernet port is called an RJ-45 port and is slightly larger than a standard US phone jack that you see in your wall where the phone is plugged in.

You can see the difference here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...300px-Rjxx.jpg

Honestly, I haven't seen many laptops made in the last few years that still have phone modems. Most are Ethernet ports, and you'll have no problem plugging and Ethernet cable in to that port in the UK.

I bet you're right! I was going by my phone company supplied modem that has a phone cable going into it! Phew. Now I'm relieved. Obviously, I can't lay any claim to being a "techie"!!!!!:rofl::o

britbroome Aug 4th 2011 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Barbara1133 (Post 9530041)
I bet you're right! I was going by my phone company supplied modem that has a phone cable going into it! Phew. Now I'm relieved. Obviously, I can't lay any claim to being a "techie"!!!!!:rofl::o

Morning All, I've been searching for information on how to connect to the internet when I go to the UK for a week next month. I'm reading everything about connections but what about a service provider? I'm a Verizon customer and hate to purchase an air card for such a short timer period. any advice would be very welcome and please forgive my ignorance. Very obviously, I'll not lay claim to being a "techie" either. Thanks all :confused:

Tahiti_Bound Aug 4th 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by britbroome (Post 9537147)
Morning All, I've been searching for information on how to connect to the internet when I go to the UK for a week next month. I'm reading everything about connections but what about a service provider? I'm a Verizon customer and hate to purchase an air card for such a short timer period. any advice would be very welcome and please forgive my ignorance. Very obviously, I'll not lay claim to being a "techie" either. Thanks all :confused:

Hi there

You can go into Vodafone and get a pay as you go internet dongle:

http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/m...gles/index.htm

Click on the 'pay as you go' tab for details. O2 do them as well (and I am sure other phone companies have them as well). Pick the one that has the best coverage in the area that you are going to.

You plug it into your USB port, probably install some software that resides on the dongle, and then you can connect!

Hope this helps,

Tahiti

J.J Aug 4th 2011 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by britbroome (Post 9537147)

If your need is for occasional connection then Free internet wireless connection is available in many McDonald's, although for me a better choice is Wetherspoon pubs (open for breakfast). This worked well for us the first few weeks after moving back here until we had a permanent place to stay.
A pre-paid dongle also would have been an option for us but we opted for not because was a bit iffy depending on mobile service coverage.

Welcome to the forum, it is nice to 'meet' another Caryite on here, we just moved back from Cary NC last year.

Bevm Aug 4th 2011 2:04 pm

When I lost my Vodaphone dongle I replaced it with a 3G one because at the time it had the lowest monthly payment -- five pounds. As I only use it occasionally when traveling and don't use it heavily I wanted to have to shell out as little as possible. I've found it works in most places. It costs to buy the dongle though, so for a one-off that matters.

As people say, there are free wifi zones in various places.

Bev

J.J Aug 5th 2011 2:37 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Barbara1133 (Post 9524490)

To OP and any other interested party
attached is pic of how my modem / phone connects to my wall phone socket.
The ADSL Filter single top lead plugs into the phone socket
Of the two sockets on the filter base, the right one accepts the connection to my modem and the phone line plugs into the left hand socket on the ADSL filter.
These filters came along with the BT Modem Hub, and must be fitted to any other phone socket that you have a phone connected to.
The ADSL Filter sorts out the internet from the phone signals coming along the same wire into the house