Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US insurance advice

US insurance advice

Old Jun 26th 2016, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

brockville is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US insurance advice

Hi all...My wife and I were planning to move to the US at the end of this year/beginning next year on an E2 visa. Unfortunately I had a medical issue in May (I had a stroke). Does anyone have any advice regards how this would affect, a) my visa application, b) the cost or availability of medical insurance once were in the US.

Touch wood... I seem to have recovered quickly and have been lucky not to have suffered any major physical or mental issues.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US insurance advice

Originally Posted by brockville
Does anyone have any advice regards how this would affect, a) my visa application...
It will not affect your visa application at all.

... b) the cost or availability of medical insurance once were in the US.
This is an insurance issue not an immigration issue. You'll get a better response in the general USA forum.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It will not affect your visa application at all.

This is an insurance issue not an immigration issue. You'll get a better response in the general USA forum.

Ian
Thanks for answering the immigration question. I have now move the thread over to the US forum.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read of this. Your stroke should have no effect on the cost of your insurance, or the conditions it covers.
Pre-Existing Conditions | HHS.gov

Glad you are well - that must have been scary.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou to Ian, Jerseygirl and Kins for the replies.

The HHS link has set my mind at rest and we can look forward to completing our move again.

Kins....it was very scary and I have been very lucky compared to many.

onwards and upwards.

Jim
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first thought is that the E2 is dependent on the business and is the business dependent on you.

Also bear in mind Medical Insurance does not cover everything.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

What is your budget for healthcare expenses? ..... You should probably expect to pay around $10,000/yr for insurance, and, as Boiler said, that doesn't cover everything, so expect to pay another $5,000-$10,000 in non-covered expenses, copays, and deductibles for treatment and medications.

In the event that you call for an ambulance, the bill for that alone would be thousands of dollars, which may not be entirely covered by insurance.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 27th 2016 at 1:44 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing I'm not sure about, is if you have another stroke and become disabled, would you get disability? My feeling is that you will not. Maybe you would want to look at long term care insurance.

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 27th 2016 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The other thing I'm not sure about, is if you have another stroke and become disabled, would you get disability? My feeling is that you will not.
You can't get disability in the US if you/ your employer* hasn't been paying into the system - it is closely linked to social security/ state pension arrangements.

* Even if your employer took the payroll deductions but fraudulently didn't pay them over to the SS Administration, you get nothing.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Also, will the E-2 be in both names? If the OP is going to hold the E-2 and his wife apply for an EAD, if he is no longer able to operate the business, the visa is no longer valid and he has to leave the country. The E-2 does not allow for passive investment (for example, an E-2 holder cannot retire in the US).
Old Jun 28th 2016, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Again many thanks for the fantastic advice folks....it's very much appreciated and food for thought.