Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US infant car seat in UK + rental car in UK

US infant car seat in UK + rental car in UK

Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:14 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default US infant car seat in UK + rental car in UK

Will be travelling to the UK in 3 weeks with a 8 month old. Given my parents don't have an infant car seat and are picking us up at the airport, I guess I have to take my US car seat with me. Has anyone else done this and does a graco snugride fit into a ford fiesta?!

Hubby and I are also thinking of renting a car over there. Anyone know of cheap websites to do this on or is it better just to ring up Avis, Hertz etc while out there?
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US infant car seat in UK + rental car in UK

Originally Posted by Shahlax
Will be travelling to the UK in 3 weeks with a 8 month old. Given my parents don't have an infant car seat and are picking us up at the airport, I guess I have to take my US car seat with me. Has anyone else done this and does a graco snugride fit into a ford fiesta?!

Hubby and I are also thinking of renting a car over there. Anyone know of cheap websites to do this on or is it better just to ring up Avis, Hertz etc while out there?
I haven't done this yet, but it might be worth getting your parents to ask around - my parents are borrowing a car seat from a friend of a friend of theirs when we go at Christmas so we don't have to worry about it.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:45 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Yes my parents are also asking around and might get one. I hope they do as it's one less thing to carry from here.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 6:47 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

We took our (then) 10 month old daughter to the UK in summer 2006 and took our US graco car seat with us - it fitted fine in the car we rented, but that was a Vauxhall Safira. Also that summer I had to go back separately for my grandmother's funeral and I rented a Vauxhall Astra from Enterprise at Heathrow - can't remember exact amounts but I thought they gave me a really good deal at the time. Did it online before I left NJ.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As for rentals, do a search as there were a few good threads in the US forums as well as moving back to UK section...be cheaper renting from a place that isn't at the airport and all that.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Just returned from the UK at the beginning of this month. My wife and I rented a Vauxhall Xafira from Avis, which is technically a 7 seven seater, although it is more like 5 adults + 2 kids. We picked it up at London Heathrow.

I booked it online, through Avis's own website and saved $200 over using the phone-in reservation system. For 8 days, the cost was about $700. It is classed as an "Intermediate Van."

Four adults + an infant in a baby seat + luggage, in a Fiesta, isn't a good idea, in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Jim.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
As for rentals, do a search as there were a few good threads in the US forums as well as moving back to UK section...be cheaper renting from a place that isn't at the airport and all that.
I was very impressed with Enterprise rentals - they were helpful and cheaper. They will also rent you a cellphone where you pay for the minutes you use but nothing for the phone.

Worth looking at smaller local companies too. I steer clear of Hertz, Avis etc.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:09 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

I've taken an infant car seat to the U.K., you will need to use the seatbelts in the car as U.K. cars don't use LATCH (they use a different system). I personally think it's worth taking one rather than renting one, you never know the history of a rented car seat.
Naomi.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, I have always found holidayautos.co.uk to be the cheapest company for rentals. You're not allowed to use a US contact address for some reason.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really niceHobnob is just really nice

I always use 1car1 when I go over and never had any probs with them and they are a lot cheaper than the big guys.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
I've taken an infant car seat to the U.K., you will need to use the seatbelts in the car as U.K. cars don't use LATCH (they use a different system). I personally think it's worth taking one rather than renting one, you never know the history of a rented car seat.
Naomi.
Some newer ones use latch - last time I was over we rented a Citroen Picasso - it had the latch system. Personally, I'd look for that because I find just using the belts seems insecure and a faff. The previous trip we rented a Nissan Primera - no latch and it was a pain.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins

Worth looking at smaller local companies too. I steer clear of Hertz, Avis etc.
the good thing about hertz, you get a AAA discount...Enterprise ain't bad, but if your under 25 they won't let you near them, well over here at least, not that that's an issue in this case.
Old Oct 27th 2007, 2:07 pm

My parents live 3 miles from LHR so might take a black cab as my parents' fiesta will be too small to hold all of us and our luggage + stroller. Called black cabs at terminal 3 and they couldn't give me a definitive answer about the law re. car seats in cabs but said they carry plenty of babies on parents' laps!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:43 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

My parents live 3 miles from LHR...
Ha! They hate that - they all want 70 quid fares into London. **** 'em.

If you're interested in the legal position, contact the Public Carriage Office of Transport for London: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpar...hire/2807.aspx . However, I would have thought your *legal* liability was practically zero. The safety aspect is different - it's "low likelihood, high impact".
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi
Naomi.
In the UK they use ISO-FIX which is the same as latch. I used it on my US Graco and it worked perfectly.

I agree on the renting one... you don't know who's had it or what they've done to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.