British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US-Individual -2002 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-individual-2002-a-871282/)

iceflow Jan 25th 2016 1:56 pm

US-Individual -2002

Can anyone shed light on a question on the above form? I did get through to a warm body in HMRC but they needed 'technical assistance' from some other dept in HMRC and there was no one available.
My question relates to supplying the following information on Form 2002:

"Your United States Internal Revenue Service Account Number"

What is that? I'm assuming it's some sort of self employed account number to make payments to the IRS for estimated 1099 taxes?

Thanks

Nutmegger Jan 25th 2016 4:22 pm

Re: US-Individual -2002

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 11847569)
Can anyone shed light on a question on the above form? I did get through to a warm body in HMRC but they needed 'technical assistance' from some other dept in HMRC and there was no one available.
My question relates to supplying the following information on Form 2002:

"Your United States Internal Revenue Service Account Number"

What is that? I'm assuming it's some sort of self employed account number to make payments to the IRS for estimated 1099 taxes?

Thanks

The only reference number used to make 1099 estimated payments for an individual is one's social security number.

nun Jan 25th 2016 4:40 pm

It is your SS#........if you have an EIN# I would not use it in this situation.

iceflow Jan 25th 2016 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by nun (Post 11847760)
It is your SS#........if you have an EIN# I would not use it in this situation.

That's what I thought, but right underneath that box is another requesting the SSN. :confused:
I'm inclined to leave it blank but wondered what anyone else has put in there.

Thanks

MidAtlantic Jan 25th 2016 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by iceflow (Post 11847569)
Can anyone shed light on a question on the above form? I did get through to a warm body in HMRC but they needed 'technical assistance' from some other dept in HMRC and there was no one available. My question relates to supplying the following information on Form 2002: "Your United States Internal Revenue Service Account Number" What is that? I'm assuming it's some sort of self employed account number to make payments to the IRS for estimated 1099 taxes? Thanks

From memory (which is unreliable!) I think I left it blank. I really wouldn't worry about it. Your SSN# is all the IRS need to identify you.

Wintersong Jan 25th 2016 7:15 pm

It appears to depend on whether or not you have employees - What is an IRS Account Number?

Assuming you don't, leave it blank :)

iceflow Jan 25th 2016 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 11847962)
It appears to depend on whether or not you have employees - What is an IRS Account Number?

Assuming you don't, leave it blank :)

OK thanks, that makes sense. I tried some searches but couldn't get anywhere.
Thanks

iceflow Jan 27th 2016 4:42 pm

Thanks for the info. I did have some more questions for HMRC and yesterday got hold of a gent who knew his way around the form....I should have taken his name....because I had another question today but this time the guy at HMRC couldn't help. So...on the US2002 form from HMRC, the question is:

"The location of the Service Center, (interesting spelling), where your latest tax return was filed and the date of filing"

Now, logically I'm 99.9% sure they mean the US tax return not my last tax return in the UK. Especially when they use words like 'Service Center', or even if they would have used Service Centre, and it does state 'latest'. Has anyone recalled what they entered in this space?

Thanks