Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Income Tax on UK Premium Bond Winnings?

US Income Tax on UK Premium Bond Winnings?

Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:25 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Income Tax on UK Premium Bond Winnings?

Does anybody know whether as an LPR am I liable for US income tax on UK Premium Bond winnings? I don't intend to repatriate any of the funds, but I guess that makes no difference at all if I am liable.

Nettie
Old Jun 21st 2005, 2:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Income Tax on UK Premium Bond Winnings?

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Does anybody know whether as an LPR am I liable for US income tax on UK Premium Bond winnings? I don't intend to repatriate any of the funds, but I guess that makes no difference at all if I am liable.

Nettie
Sorry, I'm not of any help, but that's an interesting question. I've often wondered the same about endowment policies - which are tax-free if you live in the UK when they mature. If you live in the US, does the US "honor" the tax-free status of a UK endowment policy? Don't mean to hijack your thread but it seems like a related question.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Nettie
If you are declaring and paying taxes to the IRS then you will be liable for taxation, that is how I understand it. I cannot give an answer on the Endowment question.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 3:44 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Nettie
Q) Who is going to tell the IRS that you won??

A) Nobody.

Tell 'em nowt, pay them less.

-
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I think, if you declare it- it will probably come under gambling earnings, which means you'll get clobbered for up to 60% tax (like lottery wins).
Keeping the money in UK- you only have to declare bank accounts with balances of 10,000 or over (at least that's what it used to be). Banks in the UK now have to inform the IRS of account holders interest earnings etc...banks offshore, eg Jersey, don't.....

I don't know about Endowment policies- but one of mine (tax free in UK) matured a few years back and I just banked the cheque in Jersey. I figured Uncle Sam made so much out of us during the 8 years we waited for our green cards (and got flipping creamed taxwise), he owed us one LOL.

Last edited by Taffyles; Jun 21st 2005 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nettie
I win 9/10 months out of every 12 months for the last 10 years...
they just automatically invest it into more bonds....

Usually just 50 or 100 GBP though ..never had a big win yet...
Old Jun 21st 2005, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you live in the US, does the US "honor" the tax-free status of a UK endowment policy? Don't mean to hijack your thread but it seems like a related question.
For what it's worth - My tax advisors investigated this question as I had sold some ISAs in the year I moved over - they decided that the Tax Treaty could be interpreted either way (i.e. it's not clear). Technically the treaty is apparently supposed to mean that you are not in a worse position by being taxed in both countries than you would have been if you were taxed in one. So (in their opinion) tax exempt vehicles in the UK should not be subject to tax in the US.

They advised I didn't have to pay tax on the gains made by the ISAs but they were not 100% certain of this - however I also had losses that could be set against the gains even if I did have to declare them so they didn't feel it was a risk for me to interpret things this way - their advice may have been different if I had not had the fall back.

This was from one of the big corporate tax companies paid for as part of my relocation - we're on our own next year
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:45 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I win 9/10 months out of every 12 months for the last 10 years...
they just automatically invest it into more bonds....

Usually just 50 or 100 GBP though ..never had a big win yet...
Bloody 'ell. I've had some for 30+ years and the buggers have never come up!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

andy620 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ernie told me that I had to sell my quota of premium bonds when I moved to the US as they were not allowed under the US postal rules to send lottery winning by US mail.?? I suppose I could have re-invested.

I never really had any decent winnings so I wasn't that bothered.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 10:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy620
Ernie told me that I had to sell my quota of premium bonds when I moved to the US as they were not allowed under the US postal rules to send lottery winning by US mail.?? I suppose I could have re-invested.

One of the many reasons you keep a current account and an address in your previous country...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:18 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy620

I saw a while ago that you're not allowed to hold them in the US, but I assumed it was a tax thing - never thought of USPS not allowing it.

We'd just left ours with my Mums UK address on cos it was easier, and she pops the winnings in the bank when they arrive - running about 4% return at the moment...slightly less than the bank, but theres always the chance of the big one.....