British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   US Income Tax Clarification (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/us-income-tax-clarification-816020/)

Ash14297 Nov 24th 2013 12:37 pm

US Income Tax Clarification

Hi all,

Hoping somebody is able to help me as I can't seem to find any definitive answers!

I will (hopefully) be moving out to California in January. I have just managed to get my head around federal tax and state tax brackets and what percentage I pay on each part of my salary! The one thing I can't seem to get my head around is exemptions and deductions. Am I entitled to claim these?

The other question that lies around this and determines what you are entitled to is classification of 'resident alien' and 'non resident alien'. I will be on a L1A visa employed on a permanent basis so I am assuming I will fit into the 'substantial presence test' to be classified as a resident alien?

Any help is appreciated! :confused:

Ash

Bob Nov 24th 2013 3:08 pm

Re: US Income Tax Clarification

Originally Posted by Ash14297 (Post 11005212)
..The one thing I can't seem to get my head around is exemptions and deductions. Am I entitled to claim these?

Depends on the exemptions and deductions.

You'd be resident for tax purposes, most likely.

Great questions to ask the tax person the company arranged for you to use in your relocation transfer package.

And if you didn't get one, well opps.

JAJ Nov 24th 2013 4:45 pm

Usually you would be resident, and usually you would be entitled to standard exemptions/deductions. However first year tax returns can be complex, and California taxes don't automatically follow federal taxes.

Assuming your employer is paying for tax assistance (usual for expatriation as a company transfer), have you consulted with the assigned person? There is also some pre-move tax planning that you should normally do, as there are certain things you may wish to do to restructure your finances to fit better with U.S. taxes. It may (or may not) be advantageous to realize capital gains in the calendar year before becoming U.S. resident. You very likely need to do some U.K./U.S. tax calculations and make some decisions.

Hotscot Nov 24th 2013 11:55 pm

Recommend for you first year taxes to hire a pro, should just be a few hundred dollars.
Thereafter do it with TurboTax or similar, yourself.

If you can afford it start contributing to a 401k asap, and also after tax dollars to Roth IRA.
Find a finance pro to consult with.

Chrisdc Nov 25th 2013 12:38 am

If you move in January, and you pass the substantial presence test, you won't be filing a tax return until March 2015 - so don't stress too much about it now. There are some payroll calculators online if you want to find out how much your take home pay will be.

I second the suggestion to hire an accountant to do at least your first year's returns. It's not expensive and will save you a headache. The tax code is byzantine.

hungryhorace Nov 26th 2013 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11005860)
Recommend for you first year taxes to hire a pro, should just be a few hundred dollars.

Really? Speaking to other expat's, and from my own experience, the cost is in the thousands, not hundreds.

JAJ Nov 26th 2013 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11008978)
Really? Speaking to other expat's, and from my own experience, the cost is in the thousands, not hundreds.

There is absolutely no reason for the typical person, including those with foreign income/assets, to pay thousands of dollars for tax preparation.

Chrisdc Nov 26th 2013 6:14 pm

My accountant's fee for personal taxes was $400 (5 years ago.) The ROI was huge.

hungryhorace Nov 26th 2013 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Chrisdc (Post 11009009)
My accountant's fee for personal taxes was $400 (5 years ago.) The ROI was huge.

I can only report what I found.

e3geek Nov 27th 2013 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 11005860)

If you can afford it start contributing to a 401k asap, and also after tax dollars to Roth IRA.
Find a finance pro to consult with.

I don't see any benefit of 401k on L1A visa. Why would you suggest that?

durham_lad Nov 27th 2013 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11011148)
I don't see any benefit of 401k on L1A visa. Why would you suggest that?

To get the company match otherwise you are leaving money on the table. When the job ends it can be rolled to an IRA and then to a ROTH. If no match then I agree that it's probably not worth the hassle.

hungryhorace Nov 27th 2013 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11011155)
To get the company match otherwise you are leaving money on the table. When the job ends it can be rolled to an IRA and then to a ROTH. If no match then I agree that it's probably not worth the hassle.

..and stuck in the USA until retirement.

durham_lad Nov 27th 2013 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 11011161)
..and stuck in the USA until retirement.

Correct, but is not the purpose of putting money into a retirement account to save until needed for retirement. If the OP is not interested in putting money away for retirement then that is different. A ROTH will grow tax free and no taxes will ever be paid in either the US or UK after the contribution to the ROTH.

In my case I came over on a 2 year visa and was advised to contribute to get the company match which I did. As it happened I ended up getting a 2nd visa for another 2 years and then getting green card so I am very pleased to have taken the advice.

e3geek Nov 28th 2013 12:59 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 11011155)

Is it possible to take up 401k and avoid penalties (happy to pay the tax) at the end of job and going out of US?

durham_lad Nov 28th 2013 1:13 am

Originally Posted by e3geek (Post 11011302)
Is it possible to take up 401k and avoid penalties (happy to pay the tax) at the end of job and going out of US?

Probably have to pay a 10% penalty as well as the tax.

http://www.brightscope.com/financial...sh-out-my-401k