US hype?

Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US hype?

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Knowing quite a few UK estate agents I have yet to come across any who will take out their own family pictures at the drop of a hat in an attempt to help push a sale through - all a bit tacky if you ask me.
We interviewed 4 of them, when we were selling our house 3 years ago, they were all smarmy....with the exception of the one that we actually went with. And we were able to dicker the percentage rate with all of them.....just like the terms you'd deal with in any sale.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:23 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
As for Dan, thats my name. Sorry if its unimaginative, like. Whats with Elvira? Named after this 80's transvestite, are we?

http://www.elvira.com/
You're looking for a sp@nking?

As for my name, the clue is in my location...
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You're looking for a sp@nking?

As for my name, the clue if in my location...
Oo-er missus!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
UK estate agents typically charge 1-2%.

US realtors charge 6%

(And yes, I know that in the UK you pay extra for solicitors - but that's usually a thousand quid or less.)
But you don't have to sell the house yourself....something I didn't feel comfortable dealing with when we sold our house. And the estate agent said they'd come out to show the house....but gee, were somehow never available at the time..... Thankfully we only had to show the house twice and the house sold to the second couple. But when it came to bargaining - the estate agent really had the buyers interest and not ours. We were adamant we weren't coming down in our price and the estate agent acted quite dubious that we'd get full price - in the end we did. With exception to their advertisement and pictures they took (that's where the real money is going) we could have done the rest.....
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I agree with what others have already said...they're your friends while you are of use to them...then you are tossed to one side with the trash.

Back to the true friend / fake aquaintance thingy for a bit.....

Today I had a call from an old mate in the UK. We spoke and I told him I was trying to choose wether to B&B or rent for a trip back home next year.
His comment:
"Oh, dont worry, we'll just move into her parent's cottage for two weeks and you can use our house, save yer money."
They have two kids smaller than ours and will, no doubt, be a bit put out by this kindness.
This bloke I have known since being 7yrs old and we are great mates.
Now here's the point:
We haven't seen each other in over a decade (just phone calls), he has since married with kids also.
The Mrs and I have made many aquaintances and friends over the years here and I just cannot, for the life of me, imagine any one of them doing the same.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:43 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Today I had a call from an old mate in the UK. We spoke and I told him I was trying to choose wether to B&B or rent for a trip back home next year.
His comment:
"Oh, dont worry, we'll just move into her parent's cottage for two weeks and you can use our house, save yer money."
They have two kids smaller than ours and will, no doubt, be a bit put out by this kindness.
Mate I'd book a nice travel lodge if I were you - he was probably taking the piss
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Mate I'd book a nice travel lodge if I were you - he was probably taking the piss
Rotten swine, I'll kill him.
After we've had a good piss up anyway.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Back to the true friend / fake aquaintance thingy for a bit.....

His comment:
This bloke I have known since being 7yrs old and we are great mates.
Now here's the point:
We haven't seen each other in over a decade (just phone calls), he has since married with kids also.
The Mrs and I have made many aquaintances and friends over the years here and I just cannot, for the life of me, imagine any one of them doing the same.
Yep same with my bessie friend. Don't keep in touch...I'll call her and say I'm at the airport and it's like I've never been away. That's a true friend.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Do most of you feel then, that you don't have any close friends in the US?

I've found the workplace relationships to be phoney and such, as are some social relationships. However, I've got a wonderful circle of friends who would do/have done many kind things for us. All of our neighbours brought round meals when I was in hospital, they offered to watch my eldest daughter so that I could get some rest with a new baby in the house, etc. They've jumped in to help organise events, helped out in a crisis. We've been offered holiday homes and accepted two of those offers (cabin in the woods and lakeside home) and in turn we've helped them out with accomodation in the UK, watched their children, etc. We've also got my husband's lifelong circle of friends who were nothing but welcoming to me.

Of course it's not the same as with my British friends, as I don't have a long history with these people, but they are friends all the same.

I don't think I'd stay here if I felt that I had no friends/was going to be dumped like the trash.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Do most of you feel then, that you don't have any close friends in the US?

I've found the workplace relationships to be phoney and such, as are some social relationships. However, I've got a wonderful circle of friends who would do/have done many kind things for us. All of our neighbours brought round meals when I was in hospital, they offered to watch my eldest daughter so that I could get some rest with a new baby in the house, etc. They've jumped in to help organise events, helped out in a crisis. We've been offered holiday homes and accepted two of those offers (cabin in the woods and lakeside home) and in turn we've helped them out with accomodation in the UK, watched their children, etc. We've also got my husband's lifelong circle of friends who were nothing but welcoming to me.

Of course it's not the same as with my British friends, as I don't have a long history with these people, but they are friends all the same.

I don't think I'd stay here if I felt that I had no friends/was going to be dumped like the trash.

Maybe you're lucky...you can share your husband's lifelong circle of friends.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe that is it, or at least gave us a place to start. We don't have many of them living close to us, but it was at least a group to meet for holidays, and all of that. The neighbour bit took me by surprise--we moved in and neighbours kept popping over to introduce themselves, which my husband tells me in completely normal. I wasn't used to it, as we didn't know any of our London neighbours. It took some time for me to feel comfortable with them.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 11:59 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

oooeeerrr missus
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Maybe that is it, or at least gave us a place to start. We don't have many of them living close to us, but it was at least a group to meet for holidays, and all of that. The neighbour bit took me by surprise--we moved in and neighbours kept popping over to introduce themselves, which my husband tells me in completely normal. I wasn't used to it, as we didn't know any of our London neighbours. It took some time for me to feel comfortable with them.
I find people here very friendly and neighbourly, but it never seems to go beyond that. I know that if we or they moved away, it would be highly unlikely that we would ever have any contact again.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Talking Re: US hype?

Originally Posted by Moving?
I know that hard work can of course bring financial rewards anywhere, but yes it seems that in the US things are better off... and with cheaper cost of living in most places... But like you say, what about the cost? The live to work / working late / hardly any holidays must have an impact... When I worked in the US company (in the UK), it was quite a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I had to go the LA headquarters and boy, the whole place was completely different to work in. Nobody talked to each other in work time, they were amazed that in the UK, working for the same company, we had a whole 3 weeks paid holiday time every year, maternity pay etc etc. I certainly wouldn't want to work there every day!
I love the company I work for! (Am I rare?) We get 20 days paid holiday, plus an extra day of your choice and also a day off during your birthday pay period. So, thats 22 days! And we get 8 "state" holidays, which I think is the same number as the UK holidays.

My colleagues and I often go out to lunch together, and talk to each other during working hours - about non-work related things!

Am I lucky? The last company I worked for in WV gave me 5-weeks paid time off when I went to England and my sister passed away (I hadn't accrued enough PTO or "sick" time.) I had only been working for them for 5 weeks when I had to head back. When I got married in Feb this year, they gave me another 2 weeks full-pay as a wedding present (as I had no PTO left since I went to England during Dec-Jan.)

I think I am lucky! I guess you just need to work within the right company and environment, and when you do, you work hard - so they really appreciate you!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:01 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
IMy colleagues and I often go out to lunch together, and talk to each other during working hours - about non-work related things!

I guess you just need to work within the right company and environment, and when you do, you work hard - so they really appreciate you!
I went out to lunch with one of my work colleagues at least three times a week for 6 years, even when I passed him over for promotion.
I worked hard, travelled the world and got well paid................... right up until the day I was downsized ( read fired) on the spot that day.
Never heard from the guy I went to lunch with for 6 years, gave up on him after 3 or 4 calls, he became suddenly 'too busy' every time I called him.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Nov 27th 2006 at 1:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.