US hype?

Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:31 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US hype?

Originally Posted by gardnma
Who said that.....??
Said what? Wasnt me. Theres nothing to see here move along...and dont think we dont know what you're up to.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:58 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Actually I've got a completely unrelated question...why is it I went into a Subway today and paid £1.99 for a sandwich that cost me $4.99 in Florida?
That doesn't sound right to me - back home its about a fiver for a foot long - costs $5-6 here.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
I've worked in the US for many years. Americans love the British, and anything British. It has opened up many doors for me, and is very handy at interview time! You rarely negatives about Britain.

For an American to go to Britain and work. Well, that's another kettle of fish isn't it? Do British people love Americans? Would being American open doors for you? Would it increase your chances at interview time? Is there any anti-Americanism in Britain? How nice are the British to Americans? Ask yourself these questions.
I disagree. I find its all surface stuff over here, and fake politeness. Most people here couldn't give two shits about anyone else including their extended family members, let alone a Brit. They might make something of it in passing, but as I said, its surface stuff and wears off quickly. They really think the US is the hi-tech capital of the world, and we are from a fairly tale land still operating the feudal system.

When my American wife was UK side, she loved it, as she made many genuine friends. Thats the difference - here, they act as though they love Brits, but they don't - you're just a novelty foreigner at the end of the day.

In the UK, they act as though they hate yanks and openly slag them off.....but deep down, its just a front. British people are not openly "nice" about the US, but they soon get past that and will genuinely befriend anyone, American or not.

US mentality - be fake and polite but don't mean it.
UK mentality - be openly rude and tell it how it is, but mean what you say.

I know which outlook I'd rather encounter.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 26th 2006 at 8:10 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Spot on, though the differences you describe have gotten me into the sh!t a few times over here
Old Nov 26th 2006, 8:33 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Mallory.

Dan,why not be courteous in everyday life? I don't view it as phony but see it as a more pleasant way to go through the everyday trivia of life. I'd rather a shop assistant said " have a nice day" even if it is an automatic gesture than deal with someone with a surly attitude.

A little kindness and courtesy goes a long way to alleviate stress.

In my neighbourhood people are very caring. If there is a death in the family or some other kind of tragedy everyone rallies around to do what they can. The caring is genuine.

Peace!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:02 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
That doesn't sound right to me - back home its about a fiver for a foot long - costs $5-6 here.
Maybe they were selling the day old sandwiches at a discount
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemini
I agree with Mallory.

Dan,why not be courteous in everyday life? I don't view it as phony but see it as a more pleasant way to go through the everyday trivia of life. I'd rather a shop assistant said " have a nice day" even if it is an automatic gesture than deal with someone with a surly attitude.

A little kindness and courtesy goes a long way to alleviate stress.

In my neighbourhood people are very caring. If there is a death in the family or some other kind of tragedy everyone rallies around to do what they can. The caring is genuine.

Peace!
I didn't particularly mean rude - replace that with blunt or honest.

A little kindness and courtesy goes a long way to alleviateing stress - if its truly meant. If its not, its pointless. The point I was trying to get across was that outwardly Brits are seen as frosty but deep down you won't find better friends. The Americans are openly friendly, but I'd hazard a guess you won't find anyone else who will dump you quicker if you get in a poke.

I'm stereotyping of course, its a general impression.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:06 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by lionheart
Maybe they were selling the day old sandwiches at a discount
If he went in in uniform they prob gave him a 'special' anyway.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:48 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

If he went in in uniform they prob gave him a 'special' anyway.
oh, now I get it Dan. In the UK, underneath that frosty anti-Americanism, is a lovely care person who wants to be your friend. In the US, the person who is friendly, smiling, and brings a pie to your house when you move into a new home, is a really a hypocritical fake. Thanks for your insight.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:18 pm
Thinking about it

oh, now I get it Dan. In the UK, underneath that frosty anti-Americanism, is a lovely care person who wants to be your friend. In the US, the person who is friendly, smiling, and brings a pie to your house when you move into a new home, is a really a hypocritical fake. Thanks for your insight.
Sorry - is that a difficult concept to grasp.
In the UK if someone is being nice to you there is a reasonable chance that they mean it.
In the US if someone is being nice to you there is a reasonable chance that they can smell your wallet.

Sweeping generalisation I know, but one that I've found repeatedly to be true.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

When my American wife was UK side, she loved it, as she made many genuine friends. Thats the difference - here, they act as though they love Brits, but they don't - you're just a novelty foreigner at the end of the day.

In the UK, they act as though they hate yanks and openly slag them off.....but deep down, its just a front. British people are not openly "nice" about the US, but they soon get past that and will genuinely befriend anyone, American or not.

well said dan the man

my usc hubs was uk side of the pond for 18yrs and loved it and our brit friends were and still are genuine and loved him and still do...karma on it's way dan
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

too true, in the US they are just wanting to basically check you out and see if you are 'of any use to them'.....it's all totally fake and false
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:33 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - is that a difficult concept to grasp.
In the UK if someone is being nice to you there is a reasonable chance that they mean it.
In the US if someone is being nice to you there is a reasonable chance that they can smell your wallet.

Sweeping generalisation I know, but one that I've found repeatedly to be true.
Unfortunately I agree too, this has been my general experience during 20 years in the States, especially in the work environment. I'm still constantly amazed by how duplicitous people can be
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what others have already said...they're your friends while you are of use to them...then you are tossed to one side with the trash.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 10:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I find its all surface stuff over here, and fake politeness. Most people here couldn't give two shits about anyone else including their extended family members, let alone a Brit. They might make something of it in passing, but as I said, its surface stuff and wears off quickly. They really think the US is the hi-tech capital of the world, and we are from a fairly tale land still operating the feudal system.

I agree with you, but can't help wonder: why did you guys move to the US?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.