US hype?

Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US hype?

Originally Posted by Old William
Free to be utterly paranoid. At everything and everyone.

Yeah, like you have any experience of living over here......
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:12 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Yeah, like you have any experience of living over here......
Yeah as if eh?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Yeah as if eh?
I've got this old mate who's also in the filth. He wants to come over here just for a bit with his WPC wife.
Do you know if there are any "exchange programs" between the UK and US for policemen?

Allright, stop laughing.......
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:20 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

I've got this old mate who's also in the filth. He wants to come over here just for a bit with his WPC wife.
Do you know if there are any "exchange programs" between the UK and US for policemen?

Allright, stop laughing.......

Nope.
You have to be a (US) qualified Law Enforcement Officer to work as one in the USA. And a citizen too. He may get lucky and get to go on a beat or two as a civvie observer but he'll have no jurisdiction in the states and as far as I'm aware wont be able to have either.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:22 pm
Account Closed

Nope.
You have to be a (US) qualified Law Enforcement Officer to work as one in the USA. And a citizen too. He may get lucky and get to go on a beat or two as a civvie observer but he'll have no jurisdiction in the states and as far as I'm aware wont be able to have either.
OK, ho hum.
He could allways try moving to Florida as a student.

Cheers anyway.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:27 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moving?
Hi Gemini... Yes, I'm not trying to make the US out as bad and the UK as the best... I know the UK has it's problems too. What I'm finding is how Americans see themselves compared to the rest of the world... I'm sure many would have expected the US to be #1 and surprised to see it at #17.

I hope you didn't take offence at my question or points I've made?
No offence, none at all. I think the point I was trying to make (albeit clumsily) is that 'freedom' means different things to different people.

I've lived in both the US and UK and value both places. Under President Bush I have become increasingly concerned about a loss of civil liberties in the name of Homeland Security. I think it's a slippery slope. Most people, however, especially in my consevative neck of the woods, would not agree with this opinion and in fact, have probably not been personally impacted by our loss of liberties.

I was not at all surprised to see the US at #17. I do need to make time and read the entire report in The Economist. It would be interesting to see what criteria they used to define 'democracy'.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:27 pm
Tool

OK, ho hum.
He could allways try moving to Florida as a student.

Cheers anyway.

Or as a citrus fruit picker. Or just dump the missus and marry a yank.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:28 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by gemini
No offence, none at all. I think the point I was trying to make (albeit clumsily) is that 'freedom' means different things to different people.

I've lived in both the US and UK and value both places. Under President Bush I have become increasingly concerned about a loss of civil liberties in the name of Homeland Security. I think it's a slippery slope. Most people, however, especially in my consevative neck of the woods, would not agree with this opinion and in fact, have probably not been personally impacted by our loss of liberties.

I was not at all surprised to see the US at #17. I do need to make time and read the entire report in The Economist. It would be interesting to see what criteria they used to define 'democracy'.
Patriot Act(s)
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

......Or just dump the missus and marry a yank.
Sorry, I thought I mentioed he is an old mate.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.
If this is you, AWP, hope you're doing well. I wanted to tell you, if you ever come back, try another State besides DisneyWorld.....you might have better luck next time around.....
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
Tool

Sorry, I thought I mentioed he is an old mate.
And as I said....
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:50 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
If this is you, AWP, hope you're doing well. I wanted to tell you, if you ever come back, try another State besides DisneyWorld.....you might have better luck next time around.....
Thanks. What and leave all these chavs I'm having so much fun with?

Actually I've got a completely unrelated question...why is it I went into a Subway today and paid £1.99 for a sandwich that cost me $4.99 in Florida?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have to turn my dustbin inside out to see if the rubbish Nazi's have put a camera inside to keep an eye on what I'm throwing away....not that I have a bin anyway...so I do feel free to throw anything I like into my cheap nasty trash bags without being left a note and a fine...unlike my poor mother in law ... she is one step away from jail after putting a plastic coat hanger in the plastic recycles bin.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Free to be utterly paranoid. At everything and everyone.

Who said that.....??
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:30 pm
Tool

Originally Posted by krizzy
I don't have to turn my dustbin inside out to see if the rubbish Nazi's have put a camera inside to keep an eye on what I'm throwing away....not that I have a bin anyway...so I do feel free to throw anything I like into my cheap nasty trash bags without being left a note and a fine...unlike my poor mother in law ... she is one step away from jail after putting a plastic coat hanger in the plastic recycles bin.
While the recent changes to the rubbish collections over here are....daft. I cant imagine jail being on the menu for infringments really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.