Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough
Default Re: US hype?

Originally Posted by lionheart
......and less of the old.
Typical Californian, obsessed with age.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:46 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moving?
Yes, I've often thought about that. I know the ideas and inventions etc that were laughed at or turned down by Brits and so those people have gone to the US to sell their ideas - and succeeded. I think that in certain industries, it's always more of who you know than what you know... wherever you are.

I know that hard work can of course bring financial rewards anywhere, but yes it seems that in the US things are better off... and with cheaper cost of living in most places... But like you say, what about the cost? The live to work / working late / hardly any holidays must have an impact... When I worked in the US company (in the UK), it was quite a relaxed and friendly atmosphere. I had to go the LA headquarters and boy, the whole place was completely different to work in. Nobody talked to each other in work time, they were amazed that in the UK, working for the same company, we had a whole 3 weeks paid holiday time every year, maternity pay etc etc. I certainly wouldn't want to work there every day!

There are of course things I like about the US too... Of course just visiting there I'm sure that the almost £1=$2 exchange rate helps in my perceptions of cheap prices, cheap eating out etc. But (in MI) I like the open spaces, larger houses and easy driving. In winter I like to have actual snow too! But don't like that it's hard to find anything green - unlike UK which is green year round. I went from MI to CO by car last winter and it was mile after mile of brown "countryside".

Well, I shall keep looking at this great forum and see how soon I'll be moving! [this will be with work].

Thanks everyone for all your replies
I live in LA, so I know what you mean. The game playing, brown nosing, strategising is quite sickening at times. I just had a run-in recently with a guy at my company. I had helped out for three months, he was new in town and to the industry. First chance he got to stab me in the back, he took it. He was quite forthright that he was 'just working it'. No loyalty.
I guess the higher the financial rewards the more competitive the higher level you get. You better look at real estate in LA if you are moving here, the good parts are on a par with London prices.
Depends what you want out of life, there is good and bad here like everywhere.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Free? Absolute bollox
Yes, as gardnma said it was very erm... succinct!

What is the general view of Americans in your opinion of how free they think they are compared to the rest of the world? As I said, most that I have had contact with think the US is free and we are controlled by the monarchy! They think if things are "bad" in the US then they are much worse elsewhere. This is why I refer to it as hype and the American propoganda machine... that they are the best in every way. Is this the general view from having lived there?

I know many Americans don't think Bush has done the country any favours. And what about the Consitution. I have spoken to some who agree that it doesn't really mean anything anymore - and with Bush's infamous statement about it just being a piece of paper...

Again, thanks very much for all your insights. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Moving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond reputeMoving? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I live in LA, so I know what you mean. The game playing, brown nosing, strategising is quite sickening at times. I just had a run-in recently with a guy at my company. I had helped out for three months, he was new in town and to the industry. First chance he got to stab me in the back, he took it. He was quite forthright that he was 'just working it'. No loyalty.
I guess the higher the financial rewards the more competitive the higher level you get. You better look at real estate in LA if you are moving here, the good parts are on a par with London prices.
Depends what you want out of life, there is good and bad here like everywhere.
Yes... everyone and everything seems more competitive... I remember another story... In the LA company I work for (UK side) two people working at the same place got married. They had to work closely before getting married and still did after... but once they were married, they were moved to different ends of the building so they weren't together! The whole atmosphere was just different.

Do you find any problems / prejudices not being "American" (by birth)? I'm wondering if I'd have any problems in that area? When I was met at the airport one time by the company I worked for, the driver wasn't at all talkative but asked me if I'd been there before. I said yes and asked if he'd been to UK. He said he had been overnight when he was in the army and couldn't wait to get out of there! "That's nice," I thought! I haven't had any real problems though from people because I'm a Brit, and often have got better results on the phone with customer services than my American friends due to my accent!

Anyway, I do enjoy visiting the US, but I know that living there is something completely different and that some (like you lionheart) find it home and stick with it, but others return "home". I'm waiting to see which path I'll take!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

What is the general view of Americans in your opinion of how free they think they are compared to the rest of the world? As I said, most that I have had contact with think the US is free and we are controlled by the monarchy! They think if things are "bad" in the US then they are much worse elsewhere. This is why I refer to it as hype and the American propoganda machine... that they are the best in every way. Is this the general view from having lived there?

I know many Americans don't think Bush has done the country any favours. And what about the Consitution. I have spoken to some who agree that it doesn't really mean anything anymore - and with Bush's infamous statement about it just being a piece of paper...

Again, thanks very much for all your insights. Much appreciated.

I think that most Americans grow up thinking that they are free, that is free to make their own decisions and 'be all that they can be'. They compare themselves to regime countries in which people are ruled by dictators, cannot vote, etc. They do not readily compare themselves to other Western nations, and do not consider the many rules and regulations to be infringements upon their freedom, which means they do think they have more freedoms than they actual do. Some people like it this way--they don't want people to be free to drink in parks or free to take drugs, do any of those 'bad' things.

I've never had anyone say to me that we are controlled by the Monarchy. Many people ask me what I think of the Monarchy, what are their responsibilities, but most people I've been in contact with understand that we have a Prime Minister. People are surprised when I tell them that we don't vote on a zillion issue, as they do in the US. I think to many that's another idea of freedom--freedom to vote on public smoking, gay marriage, etc.

As for the Constitution and state constitutions, I think many people take it/them too literally and others don't have as clue as to what it means. For example, some people are very clear about not wanting any amendments to it, others want to amend it to no end, and others just want to be able to buy guns because of the right to bear arms.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:12 pm
Old Southern Belle

gemini is an unknown quantity at this point

The Economist just published a new "Democracy Index," in which it ranks 167 countries around the world according to their degree of democracy.
http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/D...EX_2007_v3.pdf

The US ranked #17 and the UK ranked #23
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:15 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes... everyone and everything seems more competitive... I remember another story... In the LA company I work for (UK side) two people working at the same place got married. They had to work closely before getting married and still did after... but once they were married, they were moved to different ends of the building so they weren't together! The whole atmosphere was just different.

Do you find any problems / prejudices not being "American" (by birth)? I'm wondering if I'd have any problems in that area? When I was met at the airport one time by the company I worked for, the driver wasn't at all talkative but asked me if I'd been there before. I said yes and asked if he'd been to UK. He said he had been overnight when he was in the army and couldn't wait to get out of there! "That's nice," I thought! I haven't had any real problems though from people because I'm a Brit, and often have got better results on the phone with customer services than my American friends due to my accent!

Anyway, I do enjoy visiting the US, but I know that living there is something completely different and that some (like you lionheart) find it home and stick with it, but others return "home". I'm waiting to see which path I'll take!
Most Americans love the Brits as we do them I hope, but there is a definate competitve feel in the work place here in the US its very bitchy and back stabbing, from a womans point of view you never really know who your true friends are for example my assistant GM would stab you in the back as quick as look at you to make himself look good to the CEO this has happened alot over here,one up manship and other fellow co-workers have admitted that it is how it is here dog eat dog so to speak, I am becoming harder but I was always trained to work as a team but unfortunately its me me me.

I admire the american attitude of work hard but don't kill yourself doing it.

Its like anywhere you have to adjust or get your butt out lol.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gemini
The Economist just published a new "Democracy Index," in which it ranks 167 countries around the world according to their degree of democracy.

Hi Gemini... Yes, I'm not trying to make the US out as bad and the UK as the best... I know the UK has it's problems too. What I'm finding is how Americans see themselves compared to the rest of the world... I'm sure many would have expected the US to be #1 and surprised to see it at #17.

I hope you didn't take offence at my question or points I've made?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had any problems with not being American. Most people are friendly and nice and ask lots of questions about what it's like to be British.

I worked for the same company in the UK as I do here, and it's very different.

Our UK company (now owned by the US parent company) is very structured: one MD, 4 directors, 30 managers, 200 or so others. Everyone's role is very clearly defined, salary increases are 3% a year but frozen for the last 2 years, bonuses are based on whole company performance and have been non-existant for 3 years. Very team oriented. Promotions are based on need--when one director leaves one manager moves up, and then someone is promoted to manager. We also had lots of rules: no working from home, no ipods during work hours (for anyone) and completely open plan to faciliate group learning/teamword. We had a shorter working week and more hols time.

In the US, we have a President, about 20 Executive VPs, 10 or so Senior VPs, VPs, many directors and managers, and about 500 or so others. It's very top heavy, and people are promoted regularly. There is a very clear path and nothing stopping anyone from climbing the ladder and becoming a VP. Salaries and bonuses on individual performance based. As a result, it is very intense, but there are also others who are happy with where they are, work 'normal' hours and are content. I work part-time, from home most days, and am quite happy being out of the rat race. I love the company but am happy not to be in that environment all day. I prefer to have time with my children and I also prefer being in control of my bonuses, increases, progression. I also negotiated extra hols time, as that was more important to be than negotiating salary.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 4:37 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

............. or are there truly all these extra freedoms which the rest of the world is missing out on?!.............
The whole country is hung up on the concept of it being the "free-est" country in the World.

I think this started back in the days of mass European immigration. The places they were leaving were so bad, in comparison, that the USA appeared like paradise and was certainly relatively free. The original concept is now institutionalised.

Most Americans, of course, have never experienced life outside the US and so have no idea of what freedoms are available elsewhere.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:09 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First time posting so hope I don't rub anyone up the wrong way!

I don't (yet) live in the U.S. but have worked in the past for a US company (in the UK), stayed in the US for a number of weeks at a time and may move there at some time in the future (work related).

What I want to ask is all these "freedoms" that Americans go on about all the time (you see it on tv and when I speak to them)... I have to explain that "No, we don't have to check with the Queen whenever we want to do anything", "Yes, we can [and do] make fun of our politicians without being imprisoned!" and "we are a democracy and do vote"!

So what are all these wonderful freedoms that are over there?! Albert Einstein said ""I came to America because of the great, great freedom which I heard existed in this country. I made a mistake in selecting America as a land of freedom, a mistake I cannot repair in the balance of my lifetime." In my visits there I've never felt any freer or not - but then I haven't lived there. I've asked this question also on an "Americans in the UK" expat site too - and some say they feel more free here than in the US!

So, is this what I would call hype from the great American propoganda machine working well, or are there truly all these extra freedoms which the rest of the world is missing out on?! I have my own opinions of the US - not from ignorance but from being there - and in some ways I find the US a scarey place! I look forward to your opinions...

Thanks for your input No offence was meant...
It's all bollocks mate. Its just another way of life, some things better, some things worse and it's all a matter of opinion.

I have been called a communist out here because we have a health care system and can't carry guns. They haven't got a f*****g clue at times. Some Americans are really brainwashed.

Some of them might be referring to freedom of speech in advertising, things like that. But freedom in general........ Bollocks
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:12 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemini

I see that if ranked by civil liberties alone the USA would come dead last out of the "full democracies" by quite some way.
And the UK would also be near the bottom of the list.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:19 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
The whole country is hung up on the concept of it being the "free-est" country in the World.

I think this started back in the days of mass European immigration. The places they were leaving were so bad, in comparison, that the USA appeared like paradise and was certainly relatively free. The original concept is now institutionalised.

Most Americans, of course, have never experienced life outside the US and so have no idea of what freedoms are available elsewhere.

I've worked in the US for many years. Americans love the British, and anything British. It has opened up many doors for me, and is very handy at interview time! You rarely negatives about Britain.

For an American to go to Britain and work. Well, that's another kettle of fish isn't it? Do British people love Americans? Would being American open doors for you? Would it increase your chances at interview time? Is there any anti-Americanism in Britain? How nice are the British to Americans? Ask yourself these questions.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:20 pm
No income tax no V.A.T.

Rodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond reputeRodney you plonker has a reputation beyond repute

What is the general view of Americans in your opinion of how free they think they are compared to the rest of the world?
Your average American has never left their own country, this leads them to believe that watching Fox news qualifies them to dissect the rest of the worlds affairs accurately. Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:00 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute

Free to be utterly paranoid. At everything and everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.