Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US High School education system - help!

US High School education system - help!

Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US High School education system - help!

Originally Posted by Lazzza
It's a tough call isn't it? My husband's ob is more or less defunct in the UK, so it's not really an option for us to move, although we don't feel like we are being forced. We really do want to go. I just wish it has maybe been a year earlier or a year later maybe.

If we do go out and my daugher HATES it, then she can come back. We have family who are more than happy to look after her. But I want her to experience this. I think education is more than sitting in classrooms and sitting exams. These things are important, yes but so is knowldge and understanding of new places and new people.

I went straight from school, to Uni for 5 years, trained for 2 years and have worked full time ever since. If someone had offered me to take a 'year out', I would have snapped their hand off!!!!!

Anyway, good luck. I'll keep you posted. Maybe our daughters should discuss??
Lazza

I, too, have worked and studied for a professional qualification since leaving school when I was 17 and would have loved a gap year. In saying that, I agree that it is great to experience new culture and new places and think that the kids will settle better with the company of people their own age, which hopefully they'll get at High School.

My daughter is really against going and that adds to all the guilt that I'm feeling right now. But I'm hoping that going through this experience will make her more outgoing and pray that she ends up loving it.

Keep us posted how you're getting on and if your daughter would like to speak to mine, no worries.

Keep the old chin up!!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Wouldn't it be the same in the UK though? Teenage years can be tough regardless.
Oh yes, but alliances etc will already have been formed - harder to break into. Also I could be wrong, but I don't feel UK has the 'popular' culture.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:42 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We moved with teenagers in 2005. The two older ones were a junior and a freshman here. They made friends, joined things, had their ups and downs.

They really didn't have a problem. They weren't ahead, neither were they behind it was just all very different.

They are both at college here now.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh yes, but alliances etc will already have been formed - harder to break into. Also I could be wrong, but I don't feel UK has the 'popular' culture.
Wow, really? I would have thought every culture would have 'popular' kids. If they don't have that in the UK that's pretty fantastic.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
Wow, really? I would have thought every culture would have 'popular' kids. If they don't have that in the UK that's pretty fantastic.
There are popular kids, but not the usual stereotypes of jocks, goths, nerds and geeks that you get over here where you can draw a line between the social interaction.

Of course that doesn't happen everywhere, but in the few schools I've seenn that's been the case. Far more than in England.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Thanks again everyone. We've decided to have a 'recce' trip in March/April to look at the school and also the college. The school did say they have quite a few kids from Scotland who have come over in similar circumstances. But there are 3200 pupils in the school (that is HUGE!). Then my daughter can decide what she thinks is best and I'll go along with that (within reason).
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Thanks again everyone. We've decided to have a 'recce' trip in March/April to look at the school and also the college. The school did say they have quite a few kids from Scotland who have come over in similar circumstances. But there are 3200 pupils in the school (that is HUGE!). Then my daughter can decide what she thinks is best and I'll go along with that (within reason).

Of course, she'll need her own car