Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US High School education system - help!

US High School education system - help!

Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all
Default US High School education system - help!

I have posted a few threads here but not so many recently. Things are moving ahead at speed. The family will hopefull be in Houston in June (although my hubby is hoping to go earlier). I want to wait until my kids finish their school year in Scotland. And this leads to my query. I have been in touch with the High School where my oldest daughter will go. She is in 5th year in the scottish system, so she will sit her Highers in May 2010. After her Highers she still has another year of high school to do - which she wants to do in Houston - well Cinco Ranch. I have looked at Katy ISD website for HOURS and I cannot fathom the system at all! I even called the school today but all they want are transcripts. Has anyone ever moved with a 17 year old still in school? Is high school really an option or should we think about local college for her instead? She only wants to come out for the year and then return for university in Scotland in 2011. The system is so different and even the terminology is strange. To be honest I didn't understand the course catalogue! And we are L1 and L2s just in case I get asked!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:09 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: US High School education system - help!

Originally Posted by Lazzza
I have posted a few threads here but not so many recently. Things are moving ahead at speed. The family will hopefull be in Houston in June (although my hubby is hoping to go earlier). I want to wait until my kids finish their school year in Scotland. And this leads to my query. I have been in touch with the High School where my oldest daughter will go. She is in 5th year in the scottish system, so she will sit her Highers in May 2010. After her Highers she still has another year of high school to do - which she wants to do in Houston - well Cinco Ranch. I have looked at Katy ISD website for HOURS and I cannot fathom the system at all! I even called the school today but all they want are transcripts. Has anyone ever moved with a 17 year old still in school? Is high school really an option or should we think about local college for her instead? She only wants to come out for the year and then return for university in Scotland in 2011. The system is so different and even the terminology is strange. To be honest I didn't understand the course catalogue! And we are L1 and L2s just in case I get asked!
Personally I would try and persuade her to continue at her High school for her final year (could she stay with a relative or friend?) and then take a Gap Year prior to going to uni and stay with you in the USA. Her L2 dependent visa will be used (with a renewal after 3 years if you continue to stay in the US) until her 21st birthday.

I'm not familiar with the Scottish education system but she may feel likea fish out of water doing her final year in a US high school with subjects she's never encountered before.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US High School education system - help!

Rather than try to slot your daughter into one year of US high school you might consider sending her to one of the local community colleges for a year.

I suspect that transition might be easier for her to make since she would be going in with a bunch of other students who were all "new" to that environment rather than trying to fit in to a high school where everyone else had been there for years. I also tend to think that a year at a US community college could be a good bridge between a Scottish high school and a UK university. If she is going to be able to get a university place back home just based on her Highers then you could think of the time in Houston as a kind of gap year.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It is unlikely that the US school will understand the Scottish 'transcripts'. I agree that it would be difficult for her to fit into one year at the high school, look at the Community College instead.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

Yes, this was my line of thinking to be honest. There is a community college in Katy and maybe I will look at this in more detail. Because of the scottish system, she should have her results to get into Uni in September 2011 without having to do any further exams. But we'll have to wait for the results which we won't get until August 2010!!!

I have had many anguished hours thinking about this believe me!

If we think if it as a gap year, which is what we hope to, I think she will be fine.

Our timing is rubbish. But that's out of our control.

Wouldn't want to leave her at 16-17. Thanks though, I'll check out the college. She can decide herself. We're going for a visit at Easter.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

One thing the school registrar did say was that there were several Scottish students in the school. Presumably its location to the 'oil corridor' and the fact so many people from Aberdeen move across in this field. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Her year is not necessary (well I hope) academically but I thought that it might be good for her to have the experience of a 'year out' in a different culture. And maybe she would meet some people her own age.

She seems quite keen on the idea of school or college or something. We did offer that she could go travelling round but I think she wants to stay with us since she has a younger brother and sister who love her to bits!

Feeling bad that she is being pulled away. God the guilt!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

If you're Scottish they'll probably make her learn English before she starts high school....

Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Personally I would try and persuade her to continue at her High school for her final year (could she stay with a relative or friend?) and then take a Gap Year prior to going to uni and stay with you in the USA. Her L2 dependent visa will be used (with a renewal after 3 years if you continue to stay in the US) until her 21st birthday.

I'm not familiar with the Scottish education system but she may feel likea fish out of water doing her final year in a US high school with subjects she's never encountered before.
Community college looks like the way to go.
Who knows, she may love it and want to remain in the USA with y'all.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
If you're Scottish they'll probably make her learn English before she starts high school....

Watch it........

Most of the natives round here don't speak English, even the local TV news guy is hard to understand.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we'll all have to go for our English course before we go! Well not the hubby of course - he's from England - but he can't help that!

To be fair, when I was out in Houston in September my husband's boss was AMAZED that he could understand me. I found that hilarious.

Thanks for the tips re the school/college debate I have had going on in my head for weeks now. (head hurts)

It's funny but the joke re speaking English is relevant here. I could not understand the school website. It's the same language but not the same. The sentences are different and the terminology is different. This panicked me today. I felt like a right 'thicko' for not being able to even understand something so straightforward.

So not only will I have to learn English. I'll have to learn Amercian English as well!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a chance that she will study at a US university it might be worth doing a year at a US high school for the purpose of obtaining a US high school diploma. It's not like she'll be learning anything different, but having a diploma is a piece of the US college puzzle (yes, you can get in with something else, but it is a pain to switch it all around / get it converted, etc).

If she is just looking at treading water academically (i.e. staying in school but not necessarily advancing toward something) than a year in community college might be fun as I'm not sure if the credits would be worth anything back in Scotland or not.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

That's a good point actually. I never thought of that. She is quite determined to return to Scotland for University in 2011 but that is a long time away. I suspect she will love the US, make friends and might well want to stay. Never say never is my motto.

I think I will speak to her high school in Scotland, explain the situation and ask them to prepare transcriptions (whatever they are). The registrar at the US high school agreed to look these over just now and request further information if needed. No harm in prepping.

I will also have a good look at the HCC Katy. There are loads of courses she could do there quite happily I am sure.

Keeping the 16 - soon to be 17 - year old daughter happy ain't easy. Dearie me!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

chocchipcookie is an unknown quantity at this point

My son just finished high school and is now at university here.

My the time they reach their final 'senior' year most students will be in very tight cliques. I think it would be quite hard to break in to that. Sport, drama, etc is the best way to make new friends.

I would go the community college route!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I want to raise a few questions that you and your hubby and daughter might already of addressed. If your daughter wants to return to Scotland to do her higher education, won't she no longer be considered a resident of Scotland for the reduced school tutition/fee since she had not lived there for a year? Also have you thought about the fact that once she turns 21 she will no longer have a visa to reside and/or attend school in the US? You would have to apply for a green card quickly upon arrival in the US and get her residency paperwork sorted/started so that she would be covered under the Child Protection Act if she goes over the age of 21 and the card is still not adjudicated.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:14 am
Just Joined

surreygirl1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lazzza
Hi
My 16 year old came here (we were on L1 and 2 visas) in 2007. she is now back in UK and has applied to ucas. she sat APexams here which they accept. I.B is even better but they didn't have this in local high school. fees are not international because she has been home for 3 months twice in the 22 months she was here and we still have a uk address and file tax returns there.
My son went to the British American School in Charlotte for 2 years as we were not sure if we were going back to the Uk after this and they only go to 14 so he's now at the local high school.
There is a british American school in Houston and they do have a high school and I know their students sit GCSE's. Don't know what they do beyond that, I know it's pricey but may be a solution?
Good luck, you will get used to the terminology!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.